First time meeting, worried he won't like me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time meeting, worried he won't like me

So we've been rather close "love interests" for only a few months now. We're really close, have things in common but I still feel like we're quite different people (being from different countries and having different experiences, really). We're meeting for the first time soon along with several other friends of ours we've never met before and I'll be spending a few nights with him. We agreed we wanted to share a room rather early into planning, but we won't be sharing a bed unless we want to when it comes to it. He says he's serious about me and us in general and I am too, but as stated earlier, I feel like we're still quite different people. One thing we do have in common is how awkward we both are in social situations and just in general which might affect the whole thing. This trip will involve a lot of drinking, but I don't plan to drink so much I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm hoping a little liquid courage for the both of us will at least break the ice.

We've discussed what could happen if we get there and realize things aren't as we hoped, or we're not as compatible in person. We both said we don't think that'll be the case, but he's said that "it would be sad and disappointing, but we can still have a good time" and stuff like that. I don't dispute that, I believe we could still be friends even if it turns out we aren't compatible, but it's difficult because it's as if we've kind of built up these expectations of us becoming close and eventually a couple and there's still a small chance that might not be the case. I wouldn't have as much of an issue if this turned out to be the case if we weren't sharing a room together for several nights, and all that kind of stuff.

How can I treat this situation if it goes one way or the other?!

There's also the case of the first meeting awkwardness. We won't be meeting one-on-one, but I know we'll get some one-on-one time if we want to. We're both awkward people with little confidence and stuff, how can we get that initial awkwardness out of the way? With some people I'll give them a hug to say hello in a friendly way, and of course I want to do this with him too but I'm worried it'll be too awkward or he might not receive it well because of how awkward he is too!

I think my main worry is that this is the first time either of us have ever had anything long distanced. I've met people online before but never from a different country and never stayed in the same room as them the first time meeting, and I overthink things a lot.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by anonymous542; December 18, 2017, 03:36 PM.

You're definitely not alone in overthinking a first meeting, but unfortunately that doesn't help (as you probably already know). No matter how this meeting goes down, you'll come out better for having this life experience, so try to go into it with no expectations and enjoy this multicultural experience. And definitely, please drink responsibly. My humble opinion -- try to get along without liquid courage as well; a relationship built on altering your mentality needs to be able to stand up in the challenges of the real world.
    Life will go on if this doesn't work out....just keep swimming. Best wishes!
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X