Chocolate chip cookies in mason jars - craft project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chocolate chip cookies in mason jars - craft project

My SO and I decided to make gifts this year instead of buying a lot of things for coworkers and friends. So we made chocolate chip cookie dough that the recipient can use to make homemade cookies. They will need to add butter, an egg, and vanilla extract, and bake for about 10 minutes.

I looked for different recipes online and settled on one. I have made labels for the mason jars and my SO is decorating them with ribbon. They going to be really cute.

I saw that retailers sell the chocolate chip mason jars for as much as $15 per jar.

The breakdown for the ingredients average about $3 per jar (including the quart mason jar)

We haven't gifted any yet. I will bring them to my coworkers tomorrow. What do you think?

I think it's a great idea! Very nice.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Thanks

I worked out an Excel worksheet and now see that we've made 24 gifts for $67.65. This includes the ribbon decorations, jars, and labels. That equals $2.8185 per jar. Each jar has 22.7175 ounces of cookie mix, and each jar makes 24 cookies. (That doesn't include the weight of the jar itself.)

I looked on Overstock and these jars are going for $23.59 each (plus tax).

I am really excited about getting these together and handing the ones I made out for the holidays. They should make great gifts.

If someone likes the idea but doesn't have time, Trader Joe's B&M sells them for $4.99. The recipe is very different, and you might not like it if you don't like coffee and oats. The concept is the similar, though. Folks are re-selling Trader Joe's cookie in a jar for $14.99 on ebay and Amazon.

Comment

Cute, bet they were a real hit.

Comment

The idea is really great. Yeah, some people like to make money out of everything...

Comment

Once I got them all ready for gifting:

Comment

Really nice!

Comment

omg i've been wanting to do something like this forever. They're so cute and professional looking, really cool :3
                my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Once I got a system down for how I wanted to do the layers, it didn't really take that long. It was a couple of hours, two nights. I did 12 one night, and SO and I did 12 another night.

I've noticed that some folks left gift bags that people gave them overnight, but took the jars I gave them home. Many coworkers have commented that they will be making the cookies tonight or tomorrow, which is awesome. My goal was to give people something they can consume/eat/enjoy. So I believe the mission is accomplished.

Edited to add: since we had all the ingredients out and on hand, we made ourselves peanut butter cookies. I think making the cookies help put me in a more festive mood than what I was.
                  Last edited by hmrambling; December 22, 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X