Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to visit my girlfriend for the first time...but she lives in another Country!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to visit my girlfriend for the first time...but she lives in another Country!

I plan on meeting my girlfriend for the first time by saving up for a trip to Costa Rica (I live in the U.S.). I'm just having some anxiety about what to do and how to go about traveling to another country when I've never so much as been on a plane other than one time in my life, and I was only visiting Hawaii with family. If I were to travel to Costa Rica, I would actually be traveling by myself most likely unless I can get some type of deal that allows me to take somebody else along. These are my reservations and struggles that I would absolutely love some advice on:
    1. Saving the money to go on this trip:
    I'm currently going to school to work in the medical field and working a part time job as well. I have bills and student loans to pay and saving has proven to be far more difficult than I initially anticipated. To be safe I want to try and save up at least $1,000 to go and see her so I'm able to be comfortable spending while I'm there as well as paying for the initial trip. Any advice on how to save up in order to fund my trip would help me at least get started on the right path.
    2. Finding the best deal on flight and hotel (and probably a rental car):
    I've looked at a few options, such as expedia which gives you great rates on bundling your hotel with your flight, groupon had similar deals, as well as looking at the all inclusive packages through some agencies. However its impossible for me to really know what would benefit me the most when booking my trip as someone who doesn't normally travel so any advice or personal experiences using any of the travel options i mentioned would be so helpful.
    3. What I'll need before I've even gotten to the airport:
    I know there are things I'm going to need before I travel to another Country, my passport for example, a visa, my ID, and some of the currency for Costa Rica (colones) but I have no idea where I should start and if there are things most people dont think about before traveling that I would want to include. Its all a bit overwhelming.
    4. Traveling by plane:
    I hate airports, they scare me. The crowded and confusing hustle and bustle spikes my anxiety like you wouldn't believe so any advice on how to feel prepared and keep my cool would also be great.
    5. Where to go once I land:
    This question is super specific for those who have actually traveled to or have known someone who traveled to Costa Rica. I'm nervous about getting lost once I land and I'm not sure how to get around from point A to point B. Especially being in another country where the driving laws are different and theres a language barrier. This is probably some of the most important advice I'm looking for.
    6. What its like being from the U.S. in Costa Rica:
    I'm not a spanish speaker and from what I've been told there are a lot of people who don't speak English in Costa Rica (after all it is a South American country). I'm worried about getting lost and sticking out like a sore thumb when I do arrive. Especially when I need to ask how to get around. I'm also not familiar with driving in Costa Rica or what the culture shock will be like. I'm so excited to experience it all of course but any advice on how to handle these types of challenges will help prepare me so much better while settling my nerves at the same time.

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer any of these!
Working...
X