College vs Real Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College vs Real Job

Hey guys! This is my second round of long distance (with the same guy). We met a little over a year ago and hit it off right away! Three months into our relationship, he moved to Texas (I live in Idaho). I was finally feeling confident and happy again even though we were 1500 miles apart. After four months of doing LD, he moved back to Idaho until he got laid off in December. He tried as hard as he could to get a decent paying job around the area, but I go to school in a small(ish) town and his family lives in the same one so he couldn't really find anything to support himself and his bills. So he just moved back to Texas again and is at the same job he was last year.

I know there are a ton of relationships out there that are hundreds of miles apart...but how do you make it feel okay again? He has a full time job as a diesel mechanic and I am a junior at a university. We are still the same age though. I feel like he has his life put together and he's just waiting for me. And I am trying to drag myself through school to be with him. I think the problem is, is that I know what it's like to be with him. To spend the days and nights with him and over night it all changed again.

How do you guys get through the pain and distance? We face-time and send each other pictures throughout the day. I send him care packages...but I never get anything from him. Which I guess is fine but i'd still like to have something from him. I still have a year and a half of school. I will be able to see him for spring break and I plan on staying with him over the summer but I just can't help but think of all the negative things.

If you have any tips to get my mind of the distance or things to work on it would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Thinking negative is only going to drag you down (more). That will kill your relationship sooner or later, either because you feel you can't handle it any more (and as it seems you're pretty close to that) or because there will be a moment that your bf will have enough of the negativity.

What you can do best, in my humble opinion, is do your best at school, do your assignments, go out or hang out, find a hobby. Live your life. Make time for your boyfriend, but do not live your life for him alone. The more you are distracted from being alone, the better you'll cope with the distance, is my experience.

Thinking short-term may be able to help, too, like just planning from one visit to the other. A few months is better to oversee than one and a half year. One thing at the time. First goal: get your diploma. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Working...
    X