Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I tell parents about our next visit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I tell parents about our next visit??

Hey guys..

I am 23 years old and live 3 hr drive away from my parents. I'm in a very new LDR (met online 4 months ago, met for the first time irl 2 months ago), and since I'm on holidays this month I went to see him for a week earlier this month. My mom was fully aware that I was going and I had told her that I was visiting a "friend" (she now knows we're more than just friends). She was worried about me; London is a big and scary place, especially when you're used to a small Scandinavian town.

Now my SO has invited me to come see him again over the weekend and my flight is tomorrow night, it's a 2-hour flight; no biggie.
    But I haven't told my mom.... (yet?)...
    I decided that I would be doing her a favour by sparing her the worries, and I am not ready for her to ask me questions about my new relationship. She has previously stated that LDRs are bullshit, which does not sound very supportive. Also, I don't feel like my relationship has reached the point where I'm comfortable with having my mom asking me loads of questions or worrying that I spend too much money on going to see my SO. I just want to take it slow and focus on getting to know my SO even better, and I fear that having my mom too involved can be exhausting since I don't feel ready for that yet.

But all of a sudden I feel extremely guilty. She deserves to know that I'm leaving the country, and although my friends know that I'm gone, I cannot imagine how devastated she would be if something happens to me and she then will find out that I'm in London. Just knowing that I will have to lie to her for the next days when she calls me and asks me where I am and what I'm doing... it just upsets me a lot knowing that I will be lying to her. Also if I decide to tell her she will then find out that I skip the first lecture this semester.

I don't fear that she will be unsupportive, I just don't want her to be under the impression that I'm giving up everything because of this guy, and I just want the relationship to bloom more before I'm comfortable with parents knowing more.

Do you guys always tell your parents when you leave the country? Do you think I am going to regret not telling her that I'm leaving the country?

I'm guessing you've been over already but I would have told her. You don't live with her so it's not like you need her permission but you should if you're leaving the country so she knows where you are at least in case of emergency.

Comment

Working...
    X