Intro to Myself and My Long-Term Long Distance Love Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro to Myself and My Long-Term Long Distance Love Story

Hello all. My name is Shirley. I will be celebrating my 21st birthday in just six days. I live in Northern California and have just finished up my Associate degree in Business Administration and so I am taking this Spring semester off. It is nice having a break being as I've been going to school pretty much non-stop forever now. I graduated high school in the Bay Area on a Friday in June of 2015, moved up to where I currently live that same weekend, and started a summer bridge program the following Monday that was four or five weeks long. From there, I had been going to school each summer session and fall and spring semesters up until this last fall when I finally got my 60 transfer units. My plans for my next step? I do want to continue my education but my LDR, of course, factors in as well in deciding where I want to go to get my Bachelor's degree.

My title says Long-term. So just how long-term am I talking here? To be entirely honest, my boyfriend Kevin (I call him Kevy) and I have been together for about five or six years now. He is an HVAC technician up in Ontario, Canada. We met on a role-playing instant-messaging virtual world chat site called IMVU back when I was 16 years old. My profile said that I was 18 years old, because I thought that I had to be in order to have an account there. Kevy was 24 or 25 at the time. I did tell him that I was not actually 18 years old yet. We started out as friends, taking the time to get to know each other. We did not meet up in person until September of 2016, when he came out to see me for the first time. It is crazy to think that that will be two years ago already. I will probably go into more detail of that first meeting in the first meeting forums, but to sum it up, it was amazing. There was no shyness or awkwardness between us at all. We hit it off immediately- I guess it was more like there was no point in being shy or awkward around each other when we already pretty much knew each other so well. From that first meeting, it has always felt like such a strong best-friend but much deeper type of a bond and connection, that is just so natural and easy. Unlike anything else I've ever experienced with anyone else before, ever. We always have a playful banter going on between us and are always laughing and goofing off with each other.

Kevy has been my first and only really serious boyfriend. When I was in high school, I never was very much interested in dating people, mostly because I didn't feel that the guys at my high school were mature enough for me. Don't get me wrong.... I did get very anxious once I got to college when I saw other people dating people and I just wanted to experience something with someone... I still wanted to meet Kevy but did not know when I would be able to. Without going into too much depth or detail, I did eventually start to crush on a local guy and got really caught up between he and Kevy and it actually kind of gave my boyfriend the push to come out to meet me so I could make my mind up and so that we could finally advance our relationship. I don't think one needs that much experience in dating to know when they find the right person- all's it took for me was that one experience. The local guy did end up having his own problems (alcoholism) that he was facing and when I saw the way that he was/had been treating me in comparison to how Kevy, who really loved me for me treated me, I had no doubt as to who and what I wanted. I know I am awfully young and in some people's opinions quite inexperienced to say this, but I believe in the saying that when you know you just know. I think I got lucky and truly believe I have found my soulmate. There is no one else I would rather be with and no one else I even picture a future with at all. I already think of us as married in my own mind and it has been discussed. We want to make it legal someday, after I finish up my schooling and get to be self-sufficient and can move in with him, and after we have seen that living together works for us. I would much rather move to Canada with him than to make him come out to the States.

I have applied and been accepted to a private college in Michigan, about an hour from where he lives, for the Fall of 2018. I just have not figured out how plausible that plan is, since I would need to start working and saving up money to do so.

I joined this site because, as we all know, long-distance relationships and dealing with being apart from a loved one can be extremely difficult. For me, I don't have very many friends in general and none who could actually really understand the struggles of this situation. I know that it is important to have more of my own life outside of the relationship and that I need to have more friends and a social life, hobbies, a job, etc. Just things I enjoy doing and things to keep me distracted from missing him so much. I am lacking in most of those departments but hope to meet and get to know lots of new friends on this site who can relate to what I am going through. I sometimes question my strength for handling this distance- due to a lot of things that have been going on in my life lately- but I am hoping that by making connections here I won't feel alone and maybe will be able to gain more hope and a more positive attitude...Maybe learn some new ways of coping.

It is crazy to think how far we have come- we met when I was 16 and he was 24/25 and now here we are, me going to be 21 and him going to be 30. After he came out to visit me in September of 2016, I went and stayed for a week for my spring break last March, and then I got to spend about a month with him this last summer.

The next time we get to see each other is in just 10 short days I must have managed to impress his parents (who he still stays with for now) because for Christmas, they gifted me a round-trip plane ticket up. I will be there February 10th-24th. It will be the first time we get to spend Valentine's Day physically together. Not sure this Cali girl can survive the Ontario cold, but I will be all bundled up and am really looking forward to getting to see my Kevy again

I am also very much looking forward to getting to know some more of you better and sharing in experiences. I am glad that I found this site.

Welcome to the forum .

Comment

Working...
    X