Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Med School and LDRs

Hello guys!!

I'm 21 years old and am a 1st year Med student. I've met my SO online a bit over a year ago (on my 2nd pre-clinical year) . We've been practically chatting everyday since then (with an 8hrs time difference).It's my SO's first LDR but I've been in 2 LDRs before... And to be honest it's the first time I feel so happy and comfortable with someone.

I started this thread to see if any Med/Pre-Med students or any one working in the Health field is currently on an LDR or has been in one before. If you have any advice on how to handle school and time difference... Or any kind of tip overall. I'd appreciate your advice.
    What are the hardships you've been put through? And if you've closed the distance, how did you make it work? Thanks a lot!

PS: good luck to all the LFAD community! It's difficult but worth it! Stay positive!

I'm only 18 but also studying to be a doctor, I have a full course load and my boyfriend is only taking like 2 classes on 2 days a week, whereas I'm taking 4 classes 4 days a week. I have a program I do every summer, I have a lot of homework, and that general stuff. I'm also an athlete, I have 4 horses and ride competitively. Our time difference is only an hour, but considering his classes are at night and he sleeps in, it feels like there is a bit of a time difference. I am up at 6 in the morning to do my things and he isn't usually up till around 1 pm.
    Honestly, it's been a good test I'd say. Life is full of challenges and such no matter what, but how we make it through them is everything.
    My biggest tip is to try to set up times to video chat so that you definitely get to see and talk to each other on a somewhat frequent basis. Try to do that as often as you can. I find that I can talk to my boyfriend on text all day long but feel lonely, whereas we can video call for like an hour while I do homework and I feel much better. I try to call him whenever I am sitting down and available, even while doing homework. I fall asleep on Skype with him too sometimes. We send each other things in the mail to cope with the distance. It's the little things that count. x

Comment

Hey Su,

My girlfriend is a second year nursing student and always has a lot of work! She loves what she does, but sometimes the workload can get a little overwhelming.

We do manage to spend most days (night time and morning for her) together through FaceBook calling by working around the time schedule. I work in a bar, which means I am used to having a messed up sleep schedule and can work night shifts when my girlfriend is sleeping. Because she is doing such an intense course, there are a few days throughout the week where she has to do college work while call but it doesn't really bother me because it gives me time to do my own work or just watch Netflix, play games, etc...

It's easy to work around the time difference and workload, you both just have to be commited to sacrificing sleep sometimes and making your own schedules!

Goodluck, hope it all works out.

Comment

He's a medical student and was able to come to my country for a few months for rotations so that was nice There are times when he's really tired after night shifts and so we have little communication, but other days are fine.

Comment

Working...
        X