Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Ship- away for 5 months- help!

Hi there,

This is my first thread here. I know I�m going to need a support network for this stint, because he hasn�t even left yet and I�m terrified!

We met just before Christmas, and instantly clicked. He had just gotten out of a toxic engagement, and I was in the process of doing the same, so we found each other at a great time, and had a lot of fun for the next 6 days on the job we were working together. We were both gutted when it was time to go home, and since he was leaving for the ship 2 days later, I assumed we wouldn�t see each other again.

We chatted constantly, and when his flight was cancelled due to bad weather I immediately went to the airport hotel so we could spend even just a few more hours together, which was brilliant. Then he left, and it was crushing.

The first stint was 5 weeks- we spoke/messaged a lot, and were able to speak on the phone most days. There was a long stint of sea days where the WiFi on board broke, and that was hard, and contact was a little sporadic after that, which stressed me out at first, but ultimately, I knew he was coming back.

The last week has been brilliant- he came to stay with me for 3 days, and we had a great time. I met his mum, and he bought me little presents, the sort that he would really have to listen to me talk to know I would enjoy, which was really lovely and made it feel like more than a fling. He�s also coming back again this week, but then he leaves and he won�t be back until July.

I need ways of coping while he is gone. He is kept busy constantly by work, or catching up on sleep, whereas my job only has me truly busy for around 3/4 hours a day. The rest of the time is spent indoors, alone. I don�t have the money to go out and see people as often as I�d like, and having gone from living with somebody to living alone, I�m already struggling with loneliness enough as it is. I�ve only been living alone for a month or so, and the first couple of weeks were ok, but the novelty has worn off, big time.

I�m also worried that as it hasn�t been very long that we�ve known each other, that instead of absence making the heart grow fonder, he�ll go away, have a lovely time, and slowly forget about me. I don�t want to air too many of these concerns, because my easy-going nature is one of the things he likes about me, and cruise ships is a large reason in why he and his ex finally split (among many others). So I don�t want him put off by the fact that I�m sad about it. I really do appreciate that this is his career, and I�m genuinely pleased that he does a job he loves, is good at, and that he has goals.

I hope I haven�t waffled on for too long- I�m new to this!- but any advice/help/support would be amazing. I really don�t want to put it on him, and the friends I have spoken to just don�t quite get it.

Thanks!

Distance sucks, hurts but at the same time you are blessed that you found that person. Your feelings are totally normal, it's OK to be sad about the whole thing . Just try and fill your time with something else than work, I understand you when you said you don't have money to go out meet ppl, I'm totally in the same situation, try indoor activities or volunteering or smthg like that . Just patience and be strong. I know a friend who was in the same situation with a bf having the same job, now they are happily married waiting for a baby. He still goes on cruises but they managed they lifes to not be bothered by that .
    Good luck ☺

Comment

Working...
    X