I get so sad this time of year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get so sad this time of year...

I live 1000 miles from "home"...where my family, my friends and, most painful, my SO live. I am here in Florida and "home" for me is NJ. I am basically stuck down here because of my ex and my children. I won't take my sons away from their father...no matter how badly I want to be home.

The holidays just compound this homesickness for me. Traditionally, many of our friends get together tonight and go out for a few drinks and to hang out, etc. Well, Jimmy being the social butterfly that he is, of course is joining them. Now, I don't care that he's going out. Heck he spends a good part of the night answering questions about us or talking about us with our friends. I just hate not being a part of it...and I get "jealous" that they get to spend time with him, but I don't. Is that wrong?

I know he wishes that I were home and with him too...it just hurts...and then I cry. Sometimes I wish I were more like him...he's able to not dwell on the fact that we're not together. I wish I had that skill!

I wish I had that skill too! I know how you feel...but even though my family is around me..i still feel lonely because the ONE person i want to be with me, isn't. Its so hard. I was just wondering how I can get out of this funk so that I can enjoy this time with my kids and family. I am dreading going to thanksgiving dinner. Sorry I am rambling now, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that there are also people out there that know what you are feeling and going through. I hope you can get past your sadness today.

Comment

Originally posted by agentholli View Post
      I wish I had that skill too! I know how you feel...but even though my family is around me..i still feel lonely because the ONE person i want to be with me, isn't. Its so hard. I was just wondering how I can get out of this funk so that I can enjoy this time with my kids and family. I am dreading going to thanksgiving dinner. Sorry I am rambling now, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that there are also people out there that know what you are feeling and going through. I hope you can get past your sadness today.
      Thank you for that!! He waited about 2 hours since we talked and just sent me a couple of silly texts to make me laugh. Then he sent me a picture of him in the shower (lol)...well, it's taken in his bathroom mirror, so it's just chest up. But, he said "Showering Up...wish you were here with me..." Now how is it that I am happy and sad at the same time? Gah!

Comment

I relate to this especially considering I spent the winter holidays last year with my love, our first time meeting and all the good stuff during that trip. So now everything just feels super lonely and lackluster this year without him : (

Comment

I feel extremely lonely this time of year as well, since my SO and my friends from my old school are 1000 miles away, and I don't really have many friends here

I don't know whether or not to even get christmas presents for my old friends, since it almost feels like they have forgotten me. The good news is though, my SO is coming to see me 2 days after christmas

Comment

*HUGS* to all of you!
            LFAD Book Challenge: 4/25 Complete
            Currently Reading: Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo (219/1463 pages read)
            Total Pages Read This Year: 3283

Comment

Thanks for the hugs!!

Right now, I'm not sure when we'll see each other again...normally, it would be next weekend, but I don't think that's happening. He's BIG on surprises...so, he keeps dodging the question. If he doesn't come down next weekend, our next visit would be New Year's...we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by jerseygirl904 View Post
                Thank you for that!! He waited about 2 hours since we talked and just sent me a couple of silly texts to make me laugh. Then he sent me a picture of him in the shower (lol)...well, it's taken in his bathroom mirror, so it's just chest up. But, he said "Showering Up...wish you were here with me..." Now how is it that I am happy and sad at the same time? Gah!
                I know exactly what you're going through. You guys sound JUST like me and my SO. I sit around and mope and cry and he still goes about his days pretty well. I mean, given he's still at home with his family and friends and we're somewhere new, where we don't know anyone... They definitely have the advantage there.

But I quoted what you said above because thats the EXACT kind of stuff my SO does to cheer me up. Silly texts, goofy shower pictures... and I find myself laughing through my tears (dramatic much?) a lot. This time of year really is especially hard because everyone is so close and together and I feel so alienated and alone.

I don't really have any advice, since I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone (in being alone!)
                [CENTER]"True love doesn't mean being inseparable; it means being separated and nothing changes."

Comment

Awww - Lexi!! You made me smile!!! Thank you for sharing!!! Our guys do sound awfully similar. He is back home with all of our friends and his family. He goes about his days and doesn't allow himself to "dwell on the distance." He thinks that when you do that, you open yourself up for failure. But, he understands what an emotional creature I am and does what he can to make me laugh.

Last night, on his way into work, he called me and sang to me...lol (and he's NO singer - but, it's so sweet). The Commodore's song "Lady" (old school) is a fave of his...he changes the word "Lady" to "Laurie"...it's one of my most favorite things he does for me!

I'm glad you have someone like that too!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X