GIRLS does your SO play WOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIRLS does your SO play WOW?

I have been having a really stressful week, and this is also the week that the new WOW thing came out.
    My boyfriend stays up till 6 am to play this game and sleeps all day because he's already on break for the holidays. And because I have dance till 5 after school everyday this week because we have a show friday and saturday. (I mind you I wake up at 5:30 every morning for school so thats pretty much 12 hours and I crash as soon as I get home). So this means he never texts me during the day while I'm at school as usual, this also means that we can't go to sleep together over webcam like we usually do.

Being as stressed as I am, I think I have a reason to be slightly upset. Feel like this game is taking up more and more of our time. I'll see him in 17 days on the 26th.

what would you do and are you in somewhat of the same situation?

It's only the first couple of days of Cataclysm. Everyone is in deep at the moment because it is all very new but you will probably find things will settle down back to normal soon. I know it's really annoying when you don't get to see him as much as usual but it won't last forever.

Comment

There's a line between a hobby and an obsession. WoW tends to cross the line with a lot of people, especially when new installation packs come out that have a dumptruck full of new features for them to explore. If it's bothering you with how much he's playing the game, tell him so and maybe ask for a compromise as far as how much he plays it or when he can take a break from it (which he might use the excuse of 'but I'm raiding!', well you're his girlfriend, raiding can wait) in order to chat with you for even just a half hour each day. I'd also ask him to keep his computer off when you go see him so he's not tempted to use the distraction then, either.

In the end it's a game, it's something he'll get bored of or spend less time on eventually, but like I said if it's bothering you then talk with him about it as you guys do need some time together here and there and waiting a whole 17 days for any contact because you'd be face to face is not really ideal.

Comment

Im having the same problem but its now wow but its still a game. We ended up pushing our visit back but it wasn't just because of that. I was having some really devious thoughts about sticking paper clips in his xbox when Im there so it'll explode XD But I wouldn't do that

Comment

Originally posted by LadyMarchHare View Post
          There's a line between a hobby and an obsession. WoW tends to cross the line with a lot of people, especially when new installation packs come out that have a dumptruck full of new features for them to explore. If it's bothering you with how much he's playing the game, tell him so and maybe ask for a compromise as far as how much he plays it or when he can take a break from it (which he might use the excuse of 'but I'm raiding!', well you're his girlfriend, raiding can wait) in order to chat with you for even just a half hour each day. I'd also ask him to keep his computer off when you go see him so he's not tempted to use the distraction then, either.

In the end it's a game, it's something he'll get bored of or spend less time on eventually, but like I said if it's bothering you then talk with him about it as you guys do need some time together here and there and waiting a whole 17 days for any contact because you'd be face to face is not really ideal.
          Agreed. And keep in mind that this newness too shall also wear off, but at the same time, he should learn how ot handle his hobbies in such a way that they don't deter from the rest of his life.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I've been on both sides of the wow battle, once as a wow widow, once as a player. The expansions are a big deal, something long awaited. I kind of figure them into a relationship with a gamer as part of the package. The newness doesn't last forever. I am sure this is an unpopular opinion but ...

Comment

He doesn't play WOW right now. We play a game together and since I don't have a computer that can really handle WOW he decided that he wouldn't make the switch. That being said I lose him to FIFA or Call of Duty all the time. When he picked up Black Ops I said (jokingly of course, it wasn't... awful) "see you in a few days". Maybe I'm a bit more understanding because I'm a gamer myself. *Shrugs*

It's not you. It's just who he is and if things go well, it's who he'll always be. I love somebody who understands my getting lost in something like a book or DR for hours so try to be understanding. At the same time of course say "hello, remember me? Your sexy girlfriend? Can I pry you away from your game for 30 minutes so I can see you while I fall asleep?"

Good luck.

Comment

I'm with Garnet. I've been a WoW widow. I've been obsessed by the game (I used to play from when I woke up til when I went to bed and was upset if real life interfered with that), and now after more than a year I'm back playing it again. So, I see where you're both coming from. I don't see why he's letting that interfere so much with the LDR though.
                It's quite possible to skype (chat and cam or just one of the two) while games are running. Skype can also be run at the same time as ventrilo if you don't mind hearing him talking to the people he plays with. Sure, you wont have 100% of his attention, but you'll have some of it. And there is a lot of waiting in the game - quiet periods where he can wrench his mind free to talk to you.

So just tell him, regardless of this game, you expect your relationship to remain a priority to him - and that might mean learning to either multi-task or developing some better time management skills. When starcraft2 came out, I had this talk with Obi peremptorily and told him basically "I still come first" (I know, I'm bad ) and we have not had any problems. so talk to him and work something out. Good luck.
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I agree with Garnet, as much as people may hate that. Wow really isn't the devil, and most "gamers" have a huge play period when a new game comes out. The newness will wear off, just hang in there.

Comment

... When a new game comes out we're usually both up till 6 playing it... XD

Comment

ugh WoW and other video games were the downfall to my 5 year relationship... *thumbs down*

Sad part is that it may just be a hobby but when it becomes an addiction they will choose it over anything and they won't even realize or care how much its hurting the people around them.
                      Good luck!

Comment

my SO had a call of duty situation sorta similar. when it first came out he didn't buy it (still doesn't have it) but rented it. and kept renting it over and over so he constantly had it. he would be playing it none stop! we sleep on skype together, and i would wake up at like 6am to see him playing it.. omg so annoying! i understand its fun.. especially when its a new game, but it really bothered me how much he would talk about it and play it. even when i was visiting him he kept wanting me to play it and i was just so annoyed from hearing about the game.. that normally i'd be all for trying a new game.. even though i'm not much of a "gamer" i'm more of a wii type of person.. but i would love too.. and i did play a little.. but i was just already so annoyed with the sound of the name of the game it pinched a nerve whenever he would just say COD!
                        <3
                        sigpic

Comment

I am not a gamer, my SO plays WOW tho, he has been less attentive since this expansion thingy, however, I try to be patient. Let's see how it is in a few weeks....

Comment

I'm fortunate, IMO. My SO doesn't play video games. He doesn't even own a console lol. I've never played any of them either.

He spends his time reading books or cooking or things like that for the most part. I love that.

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
                            - A. A. Milne

Comment

My SO quit WOW right before we started dating, but recently he started playing again...its kind of taking away his life, but so far it hasn't interfered with our relationship. I'm getting the trial tonight because he said he'd love it if I played it with him...so we'll see how it goes. I will report back with my experience!

Comment

Working...
                              X