Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customs

So, quick question.
    I have noooooooooo idea where I will be going through customs, and I have searched and searched and I don't know how to find out. I've got a layover in O'hare for 4 hours, so I was hoping to just get it done there, but Kyle says that appppppppppppparently theres no way there could be a customs office there.
    BUT on the off chance that he is wrong and there is, how long should I give myself to go through customs before my flight?
    Is there a certain place that I will need to report to for this, or will they just kinda pull me aside into some broom closet and ask me the nature of my whereabouts?
    Meh :/
    Any other travel tips would be helpful as well.

Ok, where are you coming from and where are you going to?

Is the layover part of a booked flight or did you book two flights separatly?

I had a layover in O'Hare. (FYI its the second biggest airport in the States.) I booked two seperate flights, coming from the UK. I got off my main flight from the UK, went through immigration as normal (took about an hour - queuing time, actual immigration desk all of 2 minutes!)

Then I was technically free to leave the airport during my layover, go through security again as normal and then head to the gate etc as normal.

But this depends on how you booked your flight and if your coming from another country.
    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Ok, I have no idea why Kyle things O'Hare couldn't have a customs office, they're one of our main international airports, so the thought they don't have customs is total lol-worthy. They have a customs office - an American customs office.

You'll go through customs once you exit the plan that lands you in a different country. So since you're going to Canada, once you disembark there you'll go through Canadian customs, who'll check you and your luggage. You're going to go through a huge line and follow all of the other passengers into it. You can't miss it with everyone else going there and the giant signs. Everyone has to go through customs.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

My flight is all apart of the same flight, its just my connection to the second one. and im talking about Canadian customs.
        :/ that sucks, cause my flight to Calgary is the one that puts me in a different country. whiiiiiiiiiiich means customs will take forever. i was just wondering if i would go through customs BEFORE i even got on the plane taht would take me to a different country. cause it doesn't make sense. why would they allow me in the country just to kick me out again if need be? you'd think they'd just cut to the chase and get it over with first thing.

Comment

Ohhhh Stephanieeee... if only you knew about being kicked out... I was once not allowed into a country and had to get a very expensive flight home... or be put in prison.

SO. The answer is you go through customs once you land in a new country. You get off the plane and first go through immigration. This is where they stamp your passport, ask why you're coming, where you're going, and when you're coming home. Next is customs where they make sure you're not bringing in any foreign plants or animals of the sort. Getting through this part usually doesn't take too long and you should allow about 2-2 1/2 hours for your next flight. (unless of course it's around a holiday in which case it could take foreverrrrrrr)

But when coming from another country and landing anywhere in the USA you ALWAYS have to go through immigration and customs, even if you're not staying there. For example: if you are flying from England to Mexico and have a layover in Miami, you have to go through customs in Miami AND in Mexico...

Are you understanding me? haha

Message me if you have any more questions concerning immigration, customs, traveling, etc. I've done quite a bit of it

Comment

Working...
          X