Meeting for the first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting for the first time.

Who was the person to make the trip to meet for the first time? I'm curious to see the answers because the people in my life aren't thrilled that I will be making the trip to meet him for the first time. They believe he should be the one to invest the time and money to come see me, but it's my unwillingness to wait and my eagerness to meet him that made my decision.

My SO was the one to make the trip down here, he was like you, impatient and unwilling to wait xD

Although my friends weren't very jazzed about the fact that I was meeting up with him alone, they called me every 10 minutes to make sure he wasn't a creeper I ended up having to turn my phone off xD

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

He came to see me. I guess I'm old fashioned, there is no way I'd go visit a guy before he came my way, unless there were just freak circumstances behind it.

A good friend of mine went to see her bf first, and now two years later, he still hasn't gone to see her. I told her, you trained him really badly! :P

Comment

My SO was the first to make the trip to visit, though I wouldn't have been opposed to doing it myself.

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
        - A. A. Milne

Comment

We meet in the middle. It happens to be a great vacation destination anyways. And this way neither of us have to clean up!

Eventually we will make the trips to see each other, but it's so darn expensive when meeting halfway is quite a bit less.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

My SO and I are both from Florida. We got together and he was immediately sent to Kentucky. He was the first to come see me though. Hope your first visit goes great.

Comment

I went to see my SO first. There were unique circumstances around that though. My best friend was going to visit her SO who also lives in England so we thought it would be fun to go at the same time.
              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
              Made it official: September 17, 2010
              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
              Got married: November 21, 2012
              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

In my relationship, I was the first one to fly to where my boyfriend lives. I think that sort of thinking is sexist - it's the equivalent of "you can't get engaged unless the man asks." So women can't make the first move?

Safety is another excuse that I think is a poor excuse. You could be in as much danger in a hotel room nearby as you would be far away.

So here's what I did - my SO lives in another country. I told my family quite firmly I was going out there to meet him and have a good vacation. I rented a hotel room, and I made sure to check in with friends so people knew I was fine and safe. Just do your due diligence in making sure you're taken care of, and tell people firmly what's up - and that it's not up for discussion on the rest of it.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                  In my relationship, I was the first one to fly to where my boyfriend lives. I think that sort of thinking is sexist - it's the equivalent of "you can't get engaged unless the man asks." So women can't make the first move?

Safety is another excuse that I think is a poor excuse. You could be in as much danger in a hotel room nearby as you would be far away.

So here's what I did - my SO lives in another country. I told my family quite firmly I was going out there to meet him and have a good vacation. I rented a hotel room, and I made sure to check in with friends so people knew I was fine and safe. Just do your due diligence in making sure you're taken care of, and tell people firmly what's up - and that it's not up for discussion on the rest of it.
                  Thank you. This is how I feel. I have the means to see him before he could come see me. I'm aware of the potential trouble that could happen, but I could be on a date with a perv whom I met on the street. I just don't agree with the idea anymore that it should be all up to the man. It's 2011, folks.

Comment

Oh, I want to be clear that I'm not waiting for him to come here first. If things had worked out financially, I would be there right now, this weekend and I would have made the first visit to "home base". He was going to try to come here in April, but his teaching schedule scrapped that. It'll happen and I bet I make the first trip.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Me.

Comment

Our first meeting since beginning the relationship will be me visiting him and my friend. Technically, it's not our first meeting ever, but I'm not sure our original meeting really counts. I was back home for a visit at the same time my friend was back home for a visit, and he'd come along with her to see the city. So, the focus that day was on my friend and I reconnecting. It wasn't until after we'd all returned to our respective homes that SO and I began our relationship on Facebook and over email.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                          He came to see me. I guess I'm old fashioned, there is no way I'd go visit a guy before he came my way, unless there were just freak circumstances behind it.
                          I completely agree with this! My boyfriend came to visit me first, I would never go visit him first. Plus my parents wouldn't want me too.

Comment

I went to visit him first. He doesn't work and his parents would've never paid him the plane ticket (his mom is extremely overprotective! It's crazy) Anyways, I work and even though my mom wasn't too happy about my decision she still respected it and understood it. By the time I went there we were already together for a year and a half so we were no strangers... I wasn't scared to meet a 40 year old pedophile, hahaha.

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy.
                            I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Comment

He is coming here, we haven't quite made it to that point yet. I hate it when people think that just because we met online, he will be a creeper...a creeper can also live just down the street and you meet him...it doesn't matter where you meet them.

Comment

Working...
                              X