No announcement yet.

Need Advice: Backpacking and Visa Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you live in the US, you'll need to apply to CKGS for a visa. (https://www.in.ckgs.us/)
    The most popular tourist visa is the 6 month visa and in India, the tourist visa can not be extended. If you are interested in touring the popular tourist spots, you'll want to see Agra (the Taj Mahal is there), Varanasi, take a food-tour of Delhi (try the street food!), take a Bollywood tour in Mumbai, and visit the tourist favorite: Goa.

I personally recommend seeing Jhansi (Which is a small city with a lot of culture and history - find Vandana Sweets in Jhansi, a famous snack shop. Try their Samosas and Veg burgers.) Orchha, Lucknow, Hyderabad and you may even want to check out south India. Kerala, etc. If you are interested, you can message me personally and I'll send you some resources. Great bed and breakfasts, homestays, Ashram stays, and if you give me more details I can even help you plan an itinerary.

I sound like a travel service. lol
    I just want you to have a great experience.

Some tips: Indians in general LOVE foreigners. They are extremely kind and hospitable to their guests. They live by a saying, that is "Treat your guest as a god." As much as this is true, it would probably upset them if you aren't respectful of their culture and especially if you are inappropriately dressed. Dressing in clothes that cover your skin actually feels better than exposing your skin - which the sun likes to burn off. I know now from experience.
    Absorb as much of the culture as you can. Stay in an Ashram, PG, hostel or with a family in India. Visit even small local temples, and observe their traditions.
    Regardless of what your tour guide or anyone says, give money to the children when they come begging. I didn't, my first time there. No one else did, and I read not to. Some children are genuinely poor while others work for some bad man that exploits the children. I really can't distinguish between the two, and I have a lot of regrets about not giving something. I guess that's up to you though.
    About women's safety: I traveled alone and my experience was pleasant. Not even one bad remark. Nothing scary happened. Just be cautious no matter where you travel.

I wish you the best!
    From America to India. ♥

Comment

Working...
    X