Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gifts ideas??

Hello guys,

I need your advice! I want to give her a good birthday present this year, thoughtful, and more meaningful than spending a lot of money. I already got her everything that she needs electronic wise (phone, camera, laptop ...etc) but this year I want to get her something that is more memorable. You must think I spoil her a lot, but these are necessary for our communication because her phone was breaking apart, she doesn't have a laptop for webcam chat, so it was necessary to get her these stuff (not the most expensive tho, just basic). Well, I was thinking of creating a video call "unique you" with just her pictures and maybe some quote with each pictures. But I already done video in the past, and I am afraid that it is not that original anymore to her. I'll still do it but I need to supplement it with another gift idea. What have you done for your partner that is thoughtful and memorable?

In the past I wrote poem, wrote song, ecard, made video, send virtual flower, and send video messages already. I also send post card and hand written letters to her before already too. I want to try new refreshing ideas. Any suggestions please???
    Jessica loves Hoa
    Connection Case Manager
    Pre-med Student
    Public Relation, Vietnam Health Clinic

That's tough, since I think you've covered a lot of the bases and seem to want to be unique each time (although, I think there is some value in repetition--e.g. I will never get sick of getting bouquets of flowers). I also am inferring (maybe I'm wrong, though) that maybe you might be a little conflicted between getting something impressive and practical (like tech gifts) and doing something that is, perhaps, commemorative of the relationship and more symbolic.

I'm kind of of the opinion lately that birthday gifts should be geared more toward what the recipient personally likes, wants, or needs--i.e. celebrating that person as an individual. Whereas, I think anniversaries or some holidays are better for commemorating the relationship. So, given my stance today and without further delay (hey, that rhymed!), I was going to suggest you get your artsy side going. Particularly, I was thinking that it could be cool to make some jewellery for her (with her personal style in mind). That way, you can give something that is romantic and made through your own efforts to suit her. Stores like Michael's sell semi-precious stones for beading and fun supplies like ribbon and such (here's a link to something similar I made for my sister and I liked it so much that I have supplies for myself now, too!https://www.marthastewart.com/articl...ce-with-ribbon. Then, you could put it in a nice box and wrap it attractively. Maybe a caution would be that if you haven't given her jewellery before or are unsure of what she likes, then it might be best to hunt around for something instead (but you are still being thoughtful in choosing something cool). I do find jewellery quite memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Snow View Post
      That's tough, since I think you've covered a lot of the bases and seem to want to be unique each time (although, I think there is some value in repetition--e.g. I will never get sick of getting bouquets of flowers). I also am inferring (maybe I'm wrong, though) that maybe you might be a little conflicted between getting something impressive and practical (like tech gifts) and doing something that is, perhaps, commemorative of the relationship and more symbolic.

I'm kind of of the opinion lately that birthday gifts should be geared more toward what the recipient personally likes, wants, or needs--i.e. celebrating that person as an individual. Whereas, I think anniversaries or some holidays are better for commemorating the relationship. So, given my stance today and without further delay (hey, that rhymed!), I was going to suggest you get your artsy side going. Particularly, I was thinking that it could be cool to make some jewellery for her (with her personal style in mind). That way, you can give something that is romantic and made through your own efforts to suit her. Stores like Michael's sell semi-precious stones for beading and fun supplies like ribbon and such (here's a link to something similar I made for my sister and I liked it so much that I have supplies for myself now, too!https://www.marthastewart.com/articl...ce-with-ribbon. Then, you could put it in a nice box and wrap it attractively. Maybe a caution would be that if you haven't given her jewellery before or are unsure of what she likes, then it might be best to hunt around for something instead (but you are still being thoughtful in choosing something cool). I do find jewellery quite memorable.
      thanks, i had the thought of making her bead jewelry before but never got around to do it. Last year, I got her watch and bracelet but she is allergic to metal, so she couldn't wear it for long!! So now I know that she like gem bracelet and beaded bracelet. I got her a gem bracelet already but maybe another beaded bracelet would be good
      Jessica loves Hoa
      Connection Case Manager
      Pre-med Student
      Public Relation, Vietnam Health Clinic

Comment

I'd be curious to find out what you make or get.

Another possibility is to get her a necklace or earrings that match the gem bracelet you already gave her. I have received many necklaces for jewellery gifts (and that's a good idea, because I always like them and like wearing them), but sometimes I wish that people would get me earrings that might match for birthday gifts the next year or something, as I am always hunting around (and sometimes without luck) for earrings that might match if I wear my hair up.

Maybe not as a main present, but you could get her a small gift certificate for iTunes or apps or something, so you still have that tech component in there. My SO got me a small gift card for Playfish to go along with my main Christmas present this year and I really liked it (I definitely wouldn't have purchased it for myself, but it's given me some extra fun and us some conversation about what I have used it for on silly Facebook games).

Comment

Working...
        X