This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOR THOSE WITH MILITARY SOs. OPSEC

there are terrorist organizations, and others who individually wish to harm the US Armed Forces, that surf the internet precisely for forums such as this. they will spend hours reading and searching through the posts for just the right pieces of information to complete their puzzle or to begin a new one.

rank, full or last names, dates, hometowns, specific locations, etc may seem to be a simple, harmless information at first glance... but just think about it. if i were a terrorist, i would love to know the name and rank of someone in the Armed forces. based off of that, i could cruise that user's posts and pick up some more tidbits they accidentally let slip by... such as where they're stationed, what date they might be somewhere. i could find that soldier, or even his family and friends if i really wanted to based simply off his rank, branch, and last name.

this thread is basically to implore all of you ladies to PLEASE protect yourself, your men, and the United States as much as possible. dont voluntarily give information to those that wish to harm you and your men.

it's tried but true... "loose lips sink ships."

additionally, some of you might want to rethink using the pictures of your men as avatars... most specifically the ones in uniform where it's obvious what rank and/or branch that soldier holds. remember that it's also easy to enlarge pictures on a computer.

tribute pages, while wonderful for support of your men, can also do more harm than good if proper care isnt taken. if you're going to create or post a link to a tribute page, please ensure that it does not have any sensitive material contained in it (identifying ranks and last names, locations, dates, places, pictures, hometowns, etc.)

thank you
    OPSEC is now talked about daily both online and off within the military community. Years ago, when the term was mentioned online, people would proclaim paranoia, overreaction or just dismiss the idea as being irrelevant. In today's world however, we know that what we say and where we say it can seriously endanger those we love the most. If you're new to military life, read on to find out what OPSEC is and what you should know to protect those you love in uniform and yourself.

What is OPSEC?
    According to DefendAmerica.mil, "The premise of OPSEC is that the accumulation of one or more elements of sensitive/unclassified information or data could damage national security by revealing classified information."

That's simple enough. The idea is that what you say may not be an OPSEC problem, but combined with what SallyJoe says, it can reveal too much and could quite possibly risk lives. Online, it could be what you say over the course of weeks or months being put together.

OPSEC is guarding the information we do know, because little bits of information combined with other little bits of information can provide a large picture for someone (or a group) that would like nothing more than to harm U.S. military forces at home or abroad.

OPSEC Online
    Some things just shouldn't be revealed online and others are personal preference. Here's a list of things that should NEVER be posted:
    Military movements of any kind.
    Dates of field problems, dates of returning soldiers from an overseas assignment (deployment or not), dates of deployments (coming or going) and airports service member(s) will be flying into or out of. Please remember that "next Tuesday" is a specific date.

Deployed activities
    Although we know the press is in several regions with our service members and broadcasting from those regions, they are not broadcasting what our government doesn't want to be known. They are there with permission. We can't possibly know what is ok to post in regards to what service members may be doing (training or otherwise) in different regions. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Specific Unit Information
    Information regarding units and missions will be removed. We don't need to know that Company C usually does this, but now they are doing that. It might not mean anything to us, but it could mean something to someone who knows what he or she is looking for.

Security on Base
    Information regarding gate guards, car inspections, when they change shifts, what is a more secure area than another and extra security the base is putting in place will be removed.
    We realize this list could be quite frustrating or even scary. We've always wanted everyone at msHQ to have an open forum to talk about anything they care to discuss. When it comes to those we love and their safety though, we don't feel being extra cautious is a bad thing.

Please be patient with us if you do find your post has been edited. We understand that so many of us are under a great deal of stress and we are here to help if you happen to let your guard down. We care about you and those you love and as such, we want to help protect your safety especially when you may be too upset to look out for yourself.

If one of your posts is edited and you would like to talk about it please post - or email if you prefer to talk privately. We'll always be more than happy to discuss our reasons. If at some point we do act a bit on the paranoid side and overstep bounds, we'll be the first to apologize and immediately rectify the situation! The changes in the world today are new to all of us, but as long as we work together to protect each other we can't go wrong!

OPSEC Online - Personal Preference
    Some people feel more secure by never revealing where they live or their real name. Others don't mind giving out this kind of information. If you aren't sure what is right for you, hopefully this article will help you decide.

Names and Locations
    It's true that with a quick search online, having your first and last name and location can make it easy in some cases to find out your home phone number and/or your address. I've always said that if someone wanted to find me badly enough they could, but they'd meet my three dogs and my two hundred sixty-pound husband before gracing my presence !

The truth is, I don't want a stranger tracking me down - especially if my husband were deployed and I plan on sharing that information online to receive support. So, it's a good idea to decide now if you want your full name on your posts or in your signature. If you do, will you be able to remember every bit of personal information you post about yourself and your location that might make it easy for someone to find you? Most importantly, will you worry about it? If this is something that would worry you, decide today what kind of personal information you are willing to share. Making a decision before you post on what is right for you can help you decide what is within your comfort level - the level that won't have you worrying.

Rank and MOS
    This is information I don't share online. I've always felt that in order to make new friends, receive support and have fun on a forum - this information wasn't needed. Other people don't mind sharing this information. In some instances, spouses might use it to find others who can understand their particular situation. Especially if it is a job where their spouse works odd or longer than normal hours or find they must move more often.

The issue with rank, MOS and OPSEC could come into play if someone were watching our forums for bits and pieces of information. Someone who is married to a Sergeant Major or a Colonel might be more beneficial to keep up with than someone who has a husband just coming into the military. Military member's rank and MOS dictates the kind of information they will be privy to and their spouses may know some of this information. Reading closely may provide the bits and pieces they are hoping for. If your spouse's rank or MOS isn't posted, it is one less part of the puzzle they have access to.

Personal Websites
    Do you have one? Does it include information that strangers shouldn't know about your husband's job and/or your family? Do you link it from forums and websites that you frequent?

If you do, please reconsider. There are several personal sites I've viewed that with just the little bit of information they have on their personal website, not only could I have their phone number and address, I would know their common routines, where their children go to school, when their neighbors work, when they work and if their spouses are deployed or at home. I'm an Army wife, but are you sure? What about the other two hundred people that are registered just at our forum alone? Are we all absolutely sure everyone online is who they say they are? Are you willing to take a chance? Forget about terrorists for a moment, forget about your safety, what about your children's safety? After all, it's not as uncommon these days as it was in years past for children to be taken from their homes while the parents sleep. It is one area where too much information provided to the world at large is a bad idea in my opinion.

Email, Private Messages and Instant Messengers
    Simply put, none of these are secure. We can break down each one and explain why they are not secure. For time considerations just keep in mind that the internet is just servers that store and transfer information connected to other servers that store and transfer information. When these transfers take place, any server within the world wide web your information travels through can store the information for someone to go back to at a later date and go through. If you are sharing information through any of these that would violate OPSEC, please reconsider. It's so easy to feel that these ways of communication are private, but if it's being tranferred over the internet, it is not private.

CONT.

OPSEC In the Real World
    Even in the real world where information doesn't travel as fast as it does on the internet, we need to be aware of our surroundings and be careful about sharing too much information.

Talking in Public
    I will readily admit that I've been in a store and had a conversation with a stranger. It might be the clerk behind the counter or someone I've bump into, but it's a common occurrence. It's always a good idea to be careful about the direction of the conversation though.

Say your emotions are running high and before you know it you've told the clerk your husband is leaving, has left or might leave. The person you are talking to might be the trustworthiest person on the planet, but are you sure? Are you aware of whom else is within earshot? Take a look around and if you wouldn't be telling the gentleman with orange and purple tie-dyed hair and a nose ring that you'll be living alone for six months, don't tell the trustworthy looking person you are talking to either. The information may not impact your loved one's safety, but it could impact yours. Are you paying with a check that has your address on it? Do you really want the clerk to know you will be living alone for an undetermined amount of time and have your address?

Talking on Cell Phones and Cordless Phones
    Another area in our lives that is not secure. If you are calling family and friends on either of these and talking about when your spouse is leaving, where he is going, what they may or may not be doing, please reconsider. It is too easy for anyone to hear what you are saying with a few inexpensive electronic devices - even a baby monitor. Not only could someone who is listening for military related information get exactly what they are looking for, but a neighbor (especially if you live off base) could overhear you are going to be living alone. Take the time to get on a true "land line." Even though in a paranoid world of conspiracies, phone taps and the like - it's much more secure than cell phones or cordless phones.

Talking to Friends and Family
    Do your friends and family who are not familiar with the military understand the importance of not revealing what you tell them? Are you sure? Talking with those you do share information about your spouse's comings and goings is a good idea. Not sharing the details is an even better idea.

While talking with my mother one evening a few weeks ago, she was telling me about two units at two different bases deploying. The information, which included specific dates and, in one situation a time, was being told over her cordless phone and my cell phone. She got this information from two "Moms" who had happened by the office she works in. Two women she had never met before that day. I stopped her, told her not to tell anyone or me. If someone else tried to tell her information explain to him or her why they shouldn't be. Please talk to your friends and family who don't know the kind of danger they could placing their loved ones in by sharing this information with any and everyone.

Final Thoughts
    This article turned out much longer than anticipated. Our hope is that you'll come away from it thinking of ways to protect the information you do know in order to keep your loved ones and yourselves safe.

------------
    from --> www.mshq.net

One suggestion I have is not to have websites in your signature. I know that it is a wonderful thing to have a tribute site, but it also gives alot of information. If you want someone to see the site then give it through a PM and ONLY to someone who you know other than just through the internet (ie through phone calls).

If someone is setting up a trip, post for those interested to PM you for information, and only then again make sure you make other contact other than just Email before you give any information out. If you man is overseas just say that OVERSEAS, not Iraq, Afghan or whatever. In this day and age a little bit of information can be too much.

Do NOT post rank, birthdays etc… Edit your profile to have only your login name, no birthdays, location websites etc..

FYI, My husband came home and told me the other day that a mission was scratched because an OSI agent heard wives talking in the BX about where they were going, when they were leaving, how many were going etc...

This is not something to play around with. You never know who may be listening or reading this forum.

Comment

BTW ; I did not write this... it's from another forum, writen by Girlyy.

Comment

So very true

Comment

This is very important, glad I showed it to you : )

Comment

Me too ; it's not something every military gf seems to follow/know... i've seen alot with specifics and its not good

Comment

I agree, I know quite a few who don't know about it/follow it. I even know military personnel who don't follow it.

Comment

This is packed FULL of info!!! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Thanks so much! I was just about to write one of these!

Comment

Thank you for sharing this!
                    Live.Laugh.Love.ALWAYS.

Comment

i so know it, is something that ive learned from my SO... not too long ago i started making changes on my profile not only cos of wat ur thread is about but for other personal reasons... anyways thanks for the info

Comment

I'm a Marine girlfriend, I've dated two Marines previously to my Marine now. My advice to any military girlfriend is to remember that it's your job to protect them just as much as it is their job to protect others. Be careful what you post. Never post dates or information that someone could use against them. It doesn't matter where you post it, that information could get into the hands of the enemy. I'm in the process of writing a book on Marine Corps relationships and that's one of the biggest things that has been discussed. A bunch of Marine wives and I also run Marine relationship websites for parents and significant others and we stress the importance of OPSEC. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me, just remember whatever you say effects everyone including all of the other military personnel stationed around the world.

https://semperfikindoflove.blogspot.com/
                        semperfikindoflove@yahoo.com

Comment

My SO and I already do these things, but it's great that this was posted as a reminder!

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm very familiar with OPSEC and I'm glad someone posted this for all of the military SOs to see. Everytime I see someone counting down the days until their SO comes back, or dates, I try to let them know why they should not. I hope this helps everyone involved in a military relationship! <3
                            Maybe I'm meant for the sea. We pass it by so passively & all that's said is what we know;; We'll watch it come;; We'll watch it go..

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing this.
                              Live.Laugh.Love.ALWAYS.

Comment

Working...
                              X