Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing ! I'll definitely keep this in mind >.< It's important to keep our SOs AND ourselves safe!
    [CENTER]"To truly love something, you must first give it a chance to fail. If it survives, it is going to be stronger than ever. Distance is pure proof of this, and forever we will love if we survive."

Comment

To caviat this..I am actually a certified OPSEC officer in the Army..If there's anything you are thinking about posting and not sure if you should or not feel free to send me a msg and I'll review it for information that cannot be released. Thanks and have a great day!
      Steph
      " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
      Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I'm not in a military relationship right now, but my last one was and I'm a moderator on a forum for military SOs... it's hard to keep track of everything and it works best if the members know what to post about and what not to post about. We want to keep our men and women safe.

Comment

This is great! thanks for the insight

Comment

Being in the military myself and my SO also, it gets preached upon us every day, "Be careful what you put on Facebook." There was an incident involving top leadership from close to home putting up online after a recent attack that misfired, "If they'd been x number of feet this way, they would've hit us", and not two seconds later [[figuratively]], another attack hit the original target dead-on.

Hearing about that story has made me super wary about what I say, and I even try to think like a terrorist sometimes, "Can I possibly get useful information out of what I'm posting?" I've tried to keep others aware of the same, others that are related in some manner to a service member, that what they say can also lead back to their beloved.

Comment

Speaking of Facebook. I have a brother who has been out of the Marines for a year now, and when he was in I was always on my mom about what she was posting about him on Facebook or saying to people through her e-mails. Being as she really doesn't comprehend on how not secure the internet really is. Even to this day I barely fill her on my SO because I'm afraid she'll let something slip, or that she'll tell my relatives who really don't know how to keep anything a secret. And it's sad that I can't open up to them. But, I find the security of the troops, and myself, a lot more important.
              I can't count the soldiers, moms, and SOs I see posting deployment dates and returning dates on Facebook. It really is out of a hand on there. They just give away everything on there because they think that just because their profile is private that it can't be seen by anyone else. Yet, I can't count how many times I've had to change my password because I was hacked or had spam coming from name alone.
              I really wish people would follow this so much more. I read this post all the time just to make sure I'm not giving even something minuscule away before I say anything about my SO.
              Last edited by xnavylovex118; August 18, 2011, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Kinda typical, cause most of people replying now gave away that they are in a relationship with someone who should abide by the rules of OpSec. That could be pretty usefull info to a terrorist I might imagine . And no offence, but after reading this post, I would never send a message to somebody on a forum who just writes to be a OpSec officer. That isn't a logical thing to do :')!

Comment

Wow, that's useful information to have that would never have occurred to me, otherwise; my beau is going into the airforce, and it makes my skin crawl to think how easy it would be for me to endanger him by being indiscreet in what I post here.
                  Thank you.

Comment

You just have to remember that we have to abide by certain rules and regulations in order to protect our loved ones. Whether it is boot camp, training, or deployment, never reveal information that could put them in danger. You can say what branch they are but definitely don't give out last names and ranks as well as the most obvious information.

I know a wife who was pissed because homecoming got postponed two weeks due to a girlfriend or wife who couldn't keep her mouth shut on Facebook. You will make no friends by revealing OPSEC information so don't do it!

Comment

I certainly wouldn't reveal anyone else's name or professional details (for so I consider information of this nature to be) online, not even my SOs, simply out of respect for their privacy.
                      I just figure it's not my place to reveal things like that; that's information only they should have control of.
                      So, I hope I should be okay.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. It's hard dating a soldier because you have to protect them while they're protecting our country

Comment

I didn't even think about that! I feel so careless! Thanks so much for sharing!

Comment

Wow.. I'm a new military girlfriend and I didn't know about this. Thank you very much!

Comment

Thank you very much for the great infor. Im new to this and I needed to know that nothing specific can be posted about you military bf in any way really. It was very useful and I will consider not ever putting very specific details on the internet and only keeping them between myself.

Comment

Thanks for pointing me to this thread Jgui. These are definitely good guidelines and it's rather sad that it even has to be posted. It's too bad that people do not have much common sense about withholding information and not making it public. The one problem I can see happening would be if people were out shopping or at a restaurant and struck up a conversation with a stranger. I can see how rank and information could slip out.

I have an online business so I know how important it is to be vague and to hide information as much as possible to protect my own identity and my online income. I also have a dating blog and I never use names of men, I give them nicknames. I don't post anything that could identify them or myself, so cities are not revealed, jobs, etc. People do need to remember that the internet is public access, even if you think something is private; always assume it is public.

Comment

Working...
                                X