Traveling to Costa Rica - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling to Costa Rica - any advice?

I'm traveling to Costa Rica this summer to build some houses and provide afterschool activities for elementary school children. So, this doesn't have anything to do with my LDR, but I still thought I'd ask for advice!

I love traveling. I've traveled all over the U.S., but I've never spent more than a few hours in another country.
    Last edited by Stubborn Hope; April 6, 2011, 09:54 PM.

I don't have any advice, but my boyfriend's mother was from Costa Rica. I've been wanting for us to go together, I think it would mean a lot to him (she passed away 10 years ago). You'll have to let me know how it goes. Good luck

Comment

ask: lucybelle she and her SO met in CR... and they know it very well!!

Comment

Yeah man I lived there for a year and am moving back this June. PM me with any specific questions. I have been just about everywhere in Costa Rica!!!

Depending on how much time you have I would definitely hit up the staples: Monteverde/Volcan Arenal (cloud forest and active volcano), Manuel Antonio (national park at a beach Pacific side). My favorite happens to be Tortuguero (Caribbean side) which was like being in freaking Jurassic Park. Just amazing. The town is about the size of your foot though, so see the canals, then head out!

Anyways, again... just PM me specific questions so I can help!!!

Comment

@ sibeckert: I think that would be very romantic! I hope you get to go someday. My boyfriend's dad is Italian... We'd love to go to Italy someday. I will be sure to tell you all about my trip!

@ OliveOyl: Looks like she already found this thread! Thanks, though.

@ lucybelle: Thank you so much! I will try to communicate your recommendations to our "team". We won't have much time to be tourists, unfortunately. And we will be spending all but one weekend in San Jose . I'll PM you when the team has a better idea of what we're doing. I'll be turning 21 while I'm down there... I'm going to try to ask if myself and a friend can get away that night to find some... fun.

Comment

Definitely let me know! I'm sorry you're spending all those weekends in San Jose jaja. San Jose is what I like to call the armpit of Costa Rica. Its dirty, crowded, and dangerous. If you decide to go out while in San Jose (I'm talking the downtown area) then just don't jaja. During the day you'll probably be fine with normal precautions (always wear your purse, backpack, etc on your front, no wallets in your back pocket, etc.) but I wouldn't go there at night. Not even ticos go there at night. There's little suburbs that surround San Jose where you'll be much safer, but ALWAYS take a taxi when it gets dark. And that happens around 4:30 or 5:00pm.

Comment

Oh and PS- I didn't mean for that post to scare you!! I never had any problems while I lived in San Jose. But I had a lot of friends make some real dumb decisions and got in trouble. Costa Rica is a great place and I can't wait to go back!

Comment

Working...
              X