Changing your last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing your last name

I had a conversation the other day with my SO about if I would change my name if we got married. I told him I probably would but hadn't given it much though. He then said it was up to me and he thought my name now went better together then it does with his. He doesn't have a bad last name so I wouldn't mind changing it, would be something to get used to though. My ex's last name was Sprinkle, thank the heavens we aren't together anymore!

Any who, Would you/Did you change your last name when you get/got married? Would you hyphenate it? What are your reasons for your decision?

I would definitely take his last name, but would make my current last name my middle name because I love it! So I would go by First Name/Current Last Name/Future Hubby's Last name

I like his last name and I think it's a nice gesture to take it when getting married. But I love and am proud of my last name so I don't want to completely eliminate that from my legal name either.

Comment

I am really excited to change my last name when we get married. I love the idea of having the same last name as him and our future children. For me, it just reinforces the feeling that we are family.

I love my current last name (it's very German/Jewish) because it's unique but so is his (African)...but his is way shorter and easier to spell.

Comment

I do plan to change my last name when I get married, just because it's a tradition I intend to keep. But my first name is quite long and a bit old fashioned, and so is his last name... I'll sound like a member of the royal family.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I will be taking his last name, I just feel like it makes things more special. Plus my family always jokes that our last name is cursed so perhaps getting a new one will push away my occasional bad luck lol

Madly in love with Michael

Comment

I don't think I would unless he absolutely insisted I had to. Most of the women in my family didn't change their names so it's not a tradition I am familiar with. If we had kids though they might have my last name as part of their chinese names.

Comment

I took his last name. For the most part, I've always wanted to take my husband's last name growing up - like mllebamako says, it reinforces the fact that we've officially become a family. In the last five or so years, though, I started to become attached to my maiden name... I just like the way it sounds with my first. Fortunately for me, my husband's last name is a direct rhyme with my maiden name, so I still have virtually the same sound, but I'm now way higher in the alphabet. I love it!
              My heart belongs to a pilot!
              ~*~
              ~*~
              [/center]

Comment

I've never really given it much thought till now to be honest haha. I would definitely take his last name as my own when we got married. I like my last name, but I think my first name would go much better with his last name

Comment

I took my husband's last name.
                  Well, to be honest, a long time Japan-fan like me was a bit excited about getting a Japanese last name. XD
                  Also, like others mentioned, I liked the feeling of having the same name and being a "family".
                  I kept my previous last name is a middle name instead though.

Comment

I would take it! His last name is simple to write and easy to read it. My last name is so long and complicated,it an Austrian lastname, so you can guess that it doesnt have enough vowels hehehe, everybody write it wrong, and they dont know how to read it. With documents it's a mess becuase there are always mistakes so documets has to be re-make... I'm proud of my last name, but its not practical!

Comment

Nope. I would never change my last name. Which is great because my SO is Hispanic and in the Hispanic culture women don't change their lasts names. In fact it would be weird if I did. The children get both lasts names. That's why Hispanics have crazy long names. So if we got married our children would be First name/Middle name/Father's Last name/Mother's last name. Which I sort of feel sorry for cuz my last name is freaking long.

example: Maria Jose Aguilera Gonzalez marries Juan Carlos Arias Piedra. The children's last names are: Arias Aguilera. Most usually just use the first of the 2 last names, but on legal documents it will always have the 2.

Comment

I will take his last name. It's very important to him.

I hesitated because I shy away from many patriachical things (there's no good reason he couldn't take my name instead, my name will die out if both my sister and I take our husband's names) and because his last name is a tad embarrasing (so much so in fact that his sister changed her last name to her mother's maiden name). But frankly I'm not that attached to my last name. My parents didn't like my father's last name, so they made up my last name. It does nothing to help keep the family together or make me easier to track down, so getting rid of it is totally not a big deal to me.

Early on in our relationship people would hear his last name, laugh and be like "Don't marry him!" (jokingly)
                        But I love him so much now that I'd be proud to have his last name... though I'm glad it's not sprinkle >.>
                        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I honestly don't know as i have children with my Ex-husband and they have there fathers last name so if i changed mine to my SO's, it would be different. Having a different last name from my children isn't something i want to do. If i have both it doesn't sound right either and although he hasn't said anything i think my SO would want me to take his last name.
                          UUUUUUUUUUUURGH!! i have NO idea what i'm going to do.
                          As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                            Early on in our relationship people would hear his last name, laugh and be like "Don't marry him!" (jokingly)
                            But I love him so much now that I'd be proud to have his last name... though I'm glad it's not sprinkle >.>
                            I had to go to facebook to see his last name after reading this comment

Comment

I am taking my SO's last name, because it does reinforce that we're Family now Plus I found out his last name means "eccentric", which fits me very well indeed

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X