Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partner in Australia

Hi Everyone

My boyfriend has very recently moved to Australia and i am due to go out in 5 months to be with him, i am struggling already and its only been 4 days without him, has anyone got any tips for coping and also any one else trying to keep in touch with a partner in OZ and how do you deal with the time difference xx

Well I don't know where you are from so I can't really say much about the time difference although you do get use to the time difference and through time you will find hours that will suit the both of you to chat.

Just think, you will be seeing him in less than 6 months! Keep yourself busy and this website is amazing for support

Comment

A pattern will emerge as to when you guys will be able to have time together and you'll work it out given time. You'll also get used to it more as time goes by. Try things on the list of 99 things to do on this site, motivate yourself with some quotes too (that can help) and keep yourself busy so you don't dwell on things. Madge is right, the forums are a great place to get inspiration from We can all help you through this. We're here to help

Comment

In my relationship I am the partner in Oz. You said you can join him in 5 months? I'd focus on that then. Make some nice count-downs.
        Like Hollz said, you will develop a pattern. I'm clinging to the idea that this will get easier (it's day two for me lol) I'm sure it must.

The time difference can be rough. Daylight savings should start next month or so though, and that will help a little. You will learn to shift your lives around each other to make talk time. It's so much easier if at least one of you can be flexible, rather than stuck in the usual routine of life.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I'm the one that's in Oz whilst he is in Philly. Because I don't have a job and he doesn't really sleep, we've been kind of spoiled in the fact that we do get all of my day (albeit he doesn't talk as much as he used too and tends to lose focus on me for other people). So we get by pretty ok I suppose, despite my outbursts. However, when I get a job, we'll be lucky to see each other for an hour a day, maybe one day a week to ourselves. This is gonna kill us, or at the very least me. But you got to remember, yours is only 5 months until you see him. I haven't even met my SO yet and we've been together over a year and a half =D. Won't see him til the 2 year mark hehe. So all I can say is if ya love your SO, you can do it. There shouldn't be heaven nor hell that could stop you from making it. ^_^. 5 months will pass fairly quick. This year certainly has, or at least after May it did lol. Just try and find any way to communicate. Messengers. Emails. Texts. Anything

Comment

I agree with the others.

I once had a best, albehim online, friend who lived in Melbourne, whereas I, as advertised on the ol' sidebar, am from California. It was difficult getting used to the time difference in the beginning of things, not necessarily because I wasn't up but because I was up for so long and, well, being honest, should have been sleeping by the time he got online; he would get online in the wee, wee hours of my morning, and we would talk until I had school in the late morning, and he would be offline/gone by the time I was home. The cycle would repeat itself the next day, and the next, and the next...

Even though we were merely friends and not SO's, we did manage to make it work. I was confident I would make it work, as well, when I had planned to study there for a semester (it fell through, however) and would need to work it out so that I could still be in contact with my family, through more than e-mail, while I was there.

Being honest, it may be a situation where you get up and go to bed earlier, or you may not have every day to talk - 5 days out of the week, for example, you may get to Skype/talk over messenger, and 2 days out of the week, you'll be restricted to e-mail - but you will fall into a pattern and you will make it work, even if it calls for sacrifice or compromise on both ends. There's also the fact that this is only for another 5 months. You say it's only been 4 days so far; naturally, the first little while without your SO is going to be excruciatingly difficult. Though I wouldn't say it gets easy, it does get easier. You eventually adjust to the distance and as much as it hurts sometimes, it starts hurting less than those first few days. And looking at the bigger picture, as much as it may seem like it right now, 5 months really is not that long. Keep yourself busy (school, work, friends, hobbies, etc.) and the time will fly by until you can be in your SO's arms again.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

well :P time difference is easy for me and him. I think its 14 hours for us?
              i'm a willing insomniac and he's a morning person, so from the moment he's awake to when i pass out, we're talking.

idk where you are, or your time difference, but you'll find the time that works for you both, plus there's always the kinds of conversations that go on without real time mattering until you can figure it out.

Comment

I'm in England, He's in Australia, and dear GOD the time difference3 frustrates me. By the time he wakes I'm, I'm going to bed, and I have Uni etc, so by the time I'm free to talk, he's going to bed.

It sucks, but texting has saved me, really. It can be pricey (depending on which companies you're with), but it's like having a lifeline right to him, because I know his phone is rarely away from him, and vice versa, so if I can just shoot off a quick text in the five-ish hour gap where we're both awake...we can have a quick chat. The worst thing is that he's really really crap at emailing me back, so...text has become the communication of choice.

The time difference gets easier or harder with daylight savings, because not everywhere actually has it. So depending on what time of year it is, i get an hour more or less of him a day.

Comment

My partner doesn't live in Australia, but in New Zealand. I'm from Germany. We have a 10 hour time difference at the moment, but it's soon going to be 12. We're only able to talk on the weekend because of that. It's not much, but I'll take what I can get. There's really no time otherwise. When my SO goes to uni I'm already in bed and when I go to school she's getting ready for bed.

Comment

I happen to be in one of the states that doesn't have it XD It's a pain in the rear for us (queenslanders) because you are always losing so much time that you can have. But I can understand the feeling, I have my best friend who lives in the UK. Me and her generally talk either around 10pm-12am or 6am-9am. Those are the times that we are both up. Sometimes she'll be up longer during my day, specially when we have a skype convo going. So it's definitely possible. I'd say try to find days where neither of you are as busy and focus on spending time those days more than any other.

Comment

Time difference sucks... me in Indonesia and my SO in Germany...

All we did is giving offline messages.. or on weekend he will call me or we will chat until late night my time. He is not a night person, and i will be hectic in the morning, as my boss will ask reports for 7 am meeting (yupp you read it right). You had to make sacrifices thats the wonder of this kind of LDR, and i think its worth the lack of beauty sleep (when your SO call you pretty, who needs beauty sleep again eh? hehe).

I also use snail mail to catch up with more complete long story that i had no time to share with him on phone or messenger. I send him pictures, cards, and postcards every two weeks. He rarely sent me things tho.. but well.. its ok.. i like to do it for him anyway. In love its about what you could give, and never expect same return, could be less, could be more.

Anyway, if you will see him less than 6 months like other said think positive and try to think about happy things.. like he owe you hundred kisses hugs and much more when you finally meet again thats loads of catching up to do!

Comment

Working...
                      X