Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

So my heart is feeling somewhat heavy today. I know it isn't long but i've been dating my love for 4 months. He lives in the US and i live in Australia. Even though i know he loves me, i'm feeling sad because he is struggling financially and basically earning enough to live through each day and meet his bills. I get really sad some days like today because i think to myself how will he afford a ticket and other costs to come meet my family and I. I have the money to buy a ticket to the US, but i don't want to put myself out there first. I've done that in the past and ended up being treated like rubbish.

What if you put some of that money towards bringing him to Australia? My partner and I shared the cost of air fare when I went out.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

We've actually agreed to split the airfare cost but i think even that is a struggle because to fly to Australia would be around $1,800. I have that money and i'm happy to pay half to get him here. He is working hard. It's just the economy there unfortunately.

Comment

It only cost my SO about $50 to come see me (a tank of gas for here and back) And he has a hard time bc of the expense. He will get out there when he can, what if yall me in the middle somewhere, if you dont want to go all the way out there and he doesnt cant afford to come all the way out to see you, there has got to be a compromise in there somewhere

GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

Is it more expensive for him to go there than you to go to him?

Comment

It's around the same price.

Comment

You could consider paying for his ticket to come here, if he absolutely can't afford it. The way I see it is, if you were going to pay the whole ticket price to go see him SPECIFICALLY, you're still getting the same end result if you pay for him to come here to see you. With that said, it's a lot of money and most people wouldn't understand if you mentioned it, haha. I know I'd do it if it was the only way I could see my man.

Comment

That's a really good point and idea MadMolly. I'm going to consider that and discuss it with him.

Comment

I knew that when I wanted to meet my bf it was going to have to be me who was going to have to take that 1st step. financially it was easier for me to travel to see him than for him to come and see me. and it was sooooo worth it! now it's his turn and he should be here at Christmas. I had to put myself out there 1st and if this guy means that much to you I hope you'll consider doing the same.

Comment

I talked with him about it this morning and he told me that it's too much money and doesn't want me to be paying that much. He also said he wouldn't know how to pay me back. I told him that he wouldn't need too but he didn't agree because he strongly believes it would be the right thing to do by paying me back. He is too beautiful sigh.

Comment

I'm in the exact same position as you are.
                      I guess we'll have to work on our patience, and just wait.
                      In my case, my SO doesn't wanna take my money, but what about yours? Maybe you can help him? (oops, just read your last post so I guess, patience is the answer)

We set a date anyway. And I told him, that if he can't come by august 2012 (yup a long time...) I'll go there by September.
                      As you said, I don't want to go first, but I also don't want to wait forever!

Comment

Originally posted by QueenofEgypt View Post
                        So my heart is feeling somewhat heavy today. I know it isn't long but i've been dating my love for 4 months. He lives in the US and i live in Australia. Even though i know he loves me, i'm feeling sad because he is struggling financially and basically earning enough to live through each day and meet his bills. I get really sad some days like today because i think to myself how will he afford a ticket and other costs to come meet my family and I. I have the money to buy a ticket to the US, but i don't want to put myself out there first. I've done that in the past and ended up being treated like rubbish.
                        I'm sorry, but what caught my attention most about your post is the last 2 sentence. "I have the money to buy a ticket to the US, but i don't want to put myself out there first. I've done that in the past and ended up being treated like rubbish " you can't base your current relationship with your past. Why don't you both meet half way than instead of going all the way?

Comment

Hey girls, well we can't meet halfway. The whole purpose was for either one of us to not only meet but to meet each others' family so meeting halfway won't work and we're Christian so we can't stay in a place alone unless we're married. I think like Rhomy said, we will have to be patient as hard as it is and keep praying about it. If worse comes to worse, then i'll probably go visit him near the end of next year, sometime after July which would be our 1st year anniversary.

Comment

if that is the case do you think your families are willing to travel together and meet half way? that way you guys aren't alone. and yes, i think at this point the best thing is to wait and hope for the best.

Comment

I'm also in love with a guy in the US, so I feel your pain, QueenofEgypt.
                              Stupid sexy Americans with their stupid sexy accents, running away with our soft Aussie hearts. :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X