Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peru

Hola

I am from the US and my boyfriend lives in Peru. I am planning on visiting him in August and my mom is extremely worried about safety. Anyone who lives in or has visited Peru: what tips can you give me about traveling to Peru and staying safe? I would be staying with his family and he would pick me up from the airport.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

I went to Peru about 2.5 years ago. I never, ever felt unsafe. Where in Peru are you going? The north is the most "dangerous" of the areas, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And that's mostly because of indigenous riots since the government keeps stealing their land away. When I was there, there was a big riot/protest/whatever where people threw glass all over roads and were looting and buses were delayed and canceled. But we just waited another day before going to the next city.

Whatever you do, DON'T READ THE US GOVERNMENT TRAVEL ADVISORY. It will freak you out. It lists the most awful and random things that have happened. As a tourist, the places you will face the most danger is in taxis, and since you'll have rides that's not even something to worry about.

Basically, anytime you go somewhere where you will be with locals, you'll be perfectly safe.

Good luck and have fun! Peru is really awesome and has GREAT FOOD!

Comment

Thanks for your input! I'm positive that my mom read the travel advisory for the US gov and that's why she's so freaked out. My boyfriend lives in Lima, and I will be flying into Lima as well, so I do not foresee any time spent in the north.

Comment

Lima is a great city. But just like every city there are good parts and bad parts. I'm sure your SO wouldn't take you anywhere unsafe. Try the ceviche!

Comment

I'm very excited about going, but nothing is set in stone yet. I feel really bad about going because my mom refuses to give me her blessing because she's so worried about my safety, but... I'm 21 and I work for my money... sorry mom!

Comment

I visited the Peru almost five years ago and stayed at the Lima. During my trip I visited the several attractions of this region such as Museo Larco, Miraflores, Miraflores Boardwalk, Discovering Peru and Barranco. The all places were stunning and alluring. I would love to go there again.

Comment

How did it turn out?

Comment

Hi!!

I am willing to know how was your experience. Is your boyfriend still with you?

Comment

Working...
                X