A Canadian girl, and American Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Canadian girl, and American Boy

I met my bf (at the time) when I was a senior in undergrad in Minnesota, and he was junior. We fell in love, dated for an amazing year. I am Canadian, and was graduating that spring with one of those degrees where in order to stay in the US I pretty much had to go grad school. I applied to several schools but was obsessed with one in Minnesota (the only one in the state with a masters program in my area). I did everything I could to get in and I was rejected, however got into a much better school in New York. My bf wanted to do the distance, and I was thrilled. We were so in love I had no idea how hard the 1100 miles would be. Especially considering the country thing is a big barrier (I can't work off campus, my family is in Canada etc). Anyways during my first semester I was shocked at how hard school was, I was literally working all the time and pretty lonely. I tired my best to make time to talk to him every day and we skyped at least a few times a week. I was constantly amazed at how patient he was with me. He visited me a few times, but not much (money issues). I went to Minnesota over thanksgiving break and we got engaged. I was shocked but thrilled. Second semester school was worse, and my stress level continued to be high, but he never changed. Deep down I did feel better about the relationship because I knew it would work out because he will be here this fall as he has graduated and is just finishing an internship. We will survive the distance and believe me I am counting the days! I think what is key, is to understand that you won't always agree, and that in LDR's you really need to put your relationship ahead of your pride and be sorry. Saying sorry does not mean you did anything wrong, it just means you feel bad you made your partner upset and that you value their feelings over whatever you argued about. I am so close to living with him but oh man the days are just tick'in away.....
Working...
X