Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our success story

Kia ora all!
    Wow, such a long time since I was last logged on here. So many memories!
    I was actually reminded of this site by someone on a different website talking about LDRs
    I honestly thought I had posted about our success, but apparently not! I figured it was worthwhile posting it now anyway, in case it gives others hope for what LDRs can become

Her and I met mid 2005. She's from the States, and I'm from New Zealand
    We were both very young, but there was an instant connection and in early 2007 we started officially dating. No one, not even us, thought it would last!
    Our connection grew though, and we were both committed to each other and our budding relationship. We decided it was serious enough to wait until I was 18 to meet in person, and see how things go
    In late 2012 we finally got to meet, and it was everything we ever hoped for. My favourite story to tell is literally the moment we met:
    She was waiting in the airport at the baggage claim on the ground level. I was upstairs as had accidentally gone to the wrong gate! There was an escalator going down right beside the baggage claim, so she was standing at the bottom of the escalator as I went down it. I slowly saw her revealed to me, feet up, and it was honestly like a scene out of a movie. She ran onto the escalator to hug me before I made it fully down, so we were blocking it as we hugged for a seriously long time and tried not to cry, and her bag had fallen over so we made quite a scene
    Meeting in person felt like we had always known each other - it was the most natural thing in the world to be next to one another. It was almost surreal when we were driving from the airport, holding hands, and I'd hardly ever held hands with someone before. But having her hand in mine felt like, in that moment, that this is what I was meant to do, where I was meant to be, who I was meant to be beside. There was hardly any awkwardness, and that's saying something as we're both awkward people!
    We met again late 2013, and late 2014/early 2015 as our lives and funds allowed it
    These meetings, this time together, solidified our relationship and our resolve to try for broke
    She finally moved to NZ late 2015 to be with me. It wasn't easy once she was moved here, and we struggled with visas and employment for her for many years after
    But we are still together. We got married mid 2017, on our 10 year anniversary. It will be our 15 year anniversary this year
    We are starting the process of looking to buy a home together. We have plans to adopt dogs, and cats, to have plants and queer art everywhere

Our life isn't perfect. We fight over stupid things - I was always so proud of our communication (a must-have for a LDR!) but it often breaks down when we're in the same room. We get stagnant sometimes. Forget to show our appreciation. Get too tired to spend quality time together. She snores SO bad
    But my god, what a journey we've been on. We have come so far, and we have what we wanted for so long, and fought so hard for: a life together
    I even still have my LFAD bracelet on my keychain

Note: my partner came out as transgender after we were married. So any previous posts on this site refer to 'him' - same person, please don't misgender her
    Last edited by churchgrim; March 13, 2022, 07:15 AM.
Working...
X