Currency!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currency!

What is the currency name in you and your SO's country? Post some pictures!

I have the normal US dollar everyone already knows.

Costa Rica has ''colones''. It's about 500c to 1USD. They just came out with new bills recently and they are so pretty I just love them!!!

Front

Back (so pretty!!! I love the monkey and sloth!!)

They're now more plasticy than papery and are different sizes (copying the Euro). The coins are lame. The 5c coin is so flimsy you can bend it. I bet it's made out of aluminum or something.

What gorgeous money!!
    London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

Comment

Those are so pretty! My father works in the Czech Republic and I love the Czech koruna (crown) bills...I guess I'm just attracted to color LOL. USD browny-green is so boring.

Comment

The good ol' pound sterling

Last edited by lademoiselle; October 15, 2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

My currency as above like Lademoiselle's. Your currency much more prettier Lucybelle

"A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way"

First visit 23/08/2012 - 05/09/2012
          Second visit scheduled May 2013
          Ended relationship August 2013

Comment

I'm representing the somewhat dull Swedish crowns (or kronor as they're really called)

The bills:

The coins:

Though they're changing the bills and the coins in 2014 I believe, and the bills will look like this, very similar to the Euros as well:

My SO lives in Argentina and their currency is pesos (no idea what the exchange rate is though!). I'm in love with their bills, not because of the looks but because of the way they are made, they're almost like fabric!

Aaaaaand the coins:

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

They're so pretty, lucybelle! I like coloured banknotes. And it's sort of funny that they're millions.

We have Euro (I guess most people would know what they look like?).

Poland has Zloty. They're not particularly beautiful:

And paying with something more than 50zl (and in some cases 50 already) is guaranteed to earn you rolling eyes. Shops almost never have change. And 1zl is ~0.25€, so 50 or even 100 isn't even a lot of money . (As in compared to 200 or 500€, which are not accepted everywhere as well....)

1,2 and 5 are common, but the smaller coins seem to be in shortage everywhere, except for my boyfriend's purse.

I fell in love with Ukrainian bills, though. They're by far not as pretty as those Costa Rican ones, but they're colourful, too.

I also like that they hardly ever use coints, because 1 hryvnia is €0,10, so the coins are almost worthless. I've always thought it was strange/exotic that some American purses don't even hold coins.
              Last edited by Dziubka; October 15, 2012, 02:37 PM.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

We have the boring Euro

These are the backsides of the Finnish coins. The lion in the smaller coins is our coat of arms I don't know about the rest of the EU, but we don't use 1 and 2 cents here Well, I know some countries do, but not sure which other countries don't..

Before the Euro, we had the Finnish Mark (I guess that's what you call it) and it looked like this:

Good old times..

Aaaaand England have the pound sterling! Lademoiselle already posted a picture of it so I'm not gonna bother

Comment

Well let me post a picture of the coins too

And this one has the picture of the real crappy 5 and 10 colones coins.

Both types (the crappy alunimum ones and the more golden ones) are both in circulation and you can use both. The coins are really large. A 1 euro coin or 25 cent quarter is about the size of the 25 colones coin. Whenever I go home and use USA coins it alwasy feels so weird to have such tiny coins!!!

Dzuibka-- I totally get what you mean with the bills! Here in CR it's hard to pay for things with a 10,000c bill (about 20 USD). And in Nicragua it's hard to pay with a 100 cordoba bill (about 5 USD!) You always have to ask places if they have change first. Also there's still plenty of places that don't take credit cards.

aaand one more edit--

Here's the 100 cordoba from Nicaragua. It makes me laugh because it looks like a beauty shot!!!

Last edited by lucybelle; October 15, 2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Very nice stuff in Costa Rica. However I'd be creeped out to find a sloth on my bill! (hate those creatures)

In Algeria we have the Algerian Dinar (we were once part of the Roman Empire, after all). I think the bills are ugly and boring

and the recently inducted 2k bill (which I find terrible)

I like the coins

ETA: One dinar is approximately 1 euro cent, for comparison sake.
                    Last edited by TwoThree; October 15, 2012, 03:14 PM.
                    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Ohhh great thread! I am kind of obsessed with foreign currency and I have quite the collection of coins and bills that I've been working on since I was a little girl.

In Mali, we use the "Franc CFA". There are actually 2 different ones- the West African CFA and the Central African CFA. We use the West African one, which is also used in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Senegal and Togo.

The bills range from 1,000 CFA (about $2) to 10,000 CFA (about $20).

And here are the coins. I guess 1 CFA is the smallest but I've never seen it-- so we have 5 cfa (.009 US cents) to 500 cfa ($1)

ETA: TwoThree-- I am in love with your bills! Now I'll have to go to Algeria or something so I can get some.
                      Last edited by mllebamako; October 15, 2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Nice thread. I'm loving Costa Rica's colorful bills.

So, Colombia has "Colombian Pesos", also known as "COP". As for today, 17830 COP: 1USD.

Here the bills
                        [IMG] [/IMG]

And here the coins =)
                        [IMG] [/IMG]

Comment

So much pretty money! I love how countries put their history/things they are proud of on their notes.

Not everyone knows what American money looks like though I've seen their one dollar notes (and I put them in a stripper's knickers because seriously, what else are you supposed to do with a note that small?) and their fives, and that's about it.

On the bottom of the world, we use the Aussie Dollar:

Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

For those who don't know what U.S. money looks like I must say ours are by far the ugliest

Notes:
                            Met: 8.17.09
                            Started Dating: 8.20.09
                            First Met: 10.2.10
                            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Denmark uses Danish Crowns (Kroner), but the design of the notes changes all the time for some reason. The most recent change was in 2010, and I wasn't too happy, since they chose "Danish bridges" as the design... what?!

Our coins, except that we don't use the smallest one anymore.

My SO's country has the Japanese Yen. (Very bland colors) And I've never seen a 2000 yen note in real life... and I've lived there.

I really liked the currency of Cambodia (Riel) when I travelled through there. I liked the colors and the beauty of Angkor Wat and other Cambodian scenery.

Comment

Working...
                              X