The Girl Who Waited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Girl Who Waited

When I first met my boyfriend, I thought he was amazing. He was mature for a fourteen-year-old, he was kind and he said what he truly thought. He was someone I could easily talk to, someone who I felt comfortable with (which was new after losing my best friend and then shutting down). So we talked. It took time at first because he had a girlfriend who was really just...awful to him. It broke my heart to see him hurt the way he did. I barely knew him, and I'd never even seen him before, but even so, I called him 'friend'. Then, we weren't able to talk because of family problems at home for him. After what seemed like forever, he texted me. My friend was back and he wanted to talk to me! So much had changed in those months that I was without him (he had matured even more, he was no longer dating the girl that had been so mean to him), but he was back and I felt things going right again. This boy had not only returned, but he had become my best friend. He was my anchor and my guide. I relied on him for moral and emotional support. After a while, I realized that I had fallen for this boy. My heart loved him it just took a while for my head to figure out. I kept this to myself, of course. Months passed. We were a year older. I told him. He returned my affections. We weren’t dating, but things were very nice. Then…it all fell apart. He was no longer interested. We grew apart. My heart broke and I longed for his words of support. But then, over this past summer we started talking again. Even after what he had done, he was still my best friend and I still loved him. I held my tongue when he told me about his new crush and I secretly rejoiced when he was turned down. Time passed. I attempted dating again, but it was useless.
    In a brave move of putting my heart on the line yet again, I told him how I really felt. After that, you could have added ‘foolish’ to the list. But it wasn’t long before he told me that he had felt the same way too, even when he had said otherwise. He was trying to protect me from being hurt, but in doing so, he had hurt me. He didn’t mean to, I know. And I forgave him. I’d forgiven him the moment it had happened.
    New Year’s rolled around and we were talking. I was hat home and he was with friends where he lived. Someone took his phone and was being kind of rude to me, so when he got it back, he knew I was upset. Instead of waiting for the start of the new year, I went to bed, hurt and a little upset. I woke up again and texted him and told him Happy New Year’s. He apologized for what his friends did and I told him he was being silly and it wasn’t his fault.
    January 6th rolled around and I was with my friends in town when I got a text telling me that he was staying in town and his mother said it was okay if he came to hang out with us. My heart stopped. I jumped up from the table after telling one of my friends what was going on and left to meet him. I stood outside my car at their hotel waiting. I panicked. I wanted to run. But I stayed. I went inside to keep warm. When he came around the corner, I was stunned. I was seeing this boy, this accidental friend, the one person that I loved more than anyone else in the world, for the first time. I ran into his arms, in near-tears, and hugged him tightly. He was finally in my arms. I was happy, I felt safe, and I was finally where I belonged. Everything was right. It was my first date, my first kiss, my first love. It was so perfect. He said that my eyes were glowing.
    January 21st, we saw each other again, had our second date, and then we called it official. Since then, I find myself more and more in love with him each day, happier, and able to handle the stress of life. He’s my forever.

This reminds me of my and my SO in some ways.. falling for each other at the wrong times but we just had to be patient and our time would come, it took us 2 years to get to that point but I think the foundation we built in that time could never be recreated and it has formed the base of a very strong relationship. Hearing about other people who have fallen in love with their best friend and taken a long time to finally get to the relationship stage makes me smile.

your wait paid off. Look forward to seeing you around the forums with updates on your relationship
    Met Online: February 2009
    Feelings grew: January 2011
    First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
    Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
    Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
    Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
    Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
    Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
    Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
    Engaged: 1st of July 2012
    Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
    Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
    Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
    Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
    Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
    Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I realize we haven't been dating for very long, but it feels like we've been together for years. Altogether, it took us about three years, give or take a little, before we (mostly he) got to the point where we (he) could admit out (his) feelings. But it's worth it, like you said. I love that boy.

Comment

Originally posted by baileyellaine View Post
        I realize we haven't been dating for very long, but it feels like we've been together for years.
        Don't worry, you're not the only one. I felt like I'd been with my SO for so freaking long after just 1-2 visits. We discussed ideas for ending the distance after about 6 months. We obviously didn't make any crazy decisions at that point but we were serious and we both felt like 'this was the one' from very early on in the relationship. We weren't scared to be fully committed .
        Met Online: February 2009
        Feelings grew: January 2011
        First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
        Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
        Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
        Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
        Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
        Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
        Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
        Engaged: 1st of July 2012
        Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
        Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012