An Old High School Spark that Finally Found it's Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Old High School Spark that Finally Found it's Fire

My story is probably not uncommon in the world of Facebook these days. Three years ago (June 2009) I received a private message in my Facebook inbox. It was from a boy I briefly dated in high school. It simply said, "Hi there." I responded immediately and many emails and Facebook chats followed.

Back in High School (1984), I was very interested in this boy. We dated for a very short time. I realized at the time that even though he was nice and I had a good time with him, he just wasn't the type to be tied down to a girlfriend. I think we eventually just went our separate ways without much being said. Over the years... 25 years... I would see him different places when I was back home visiting. Our lives had moved on, jobs, marriages, children, etc. I never felt comfortable approaching him in those situations but remember not being able to take my eyes off of him when I did see him.

In June 2009 I guess the planets finally aligned. Within a couple weeks of contacting me on Facebook, we were able to see each other face-to-face. When I walked in the door to greet him, he gave me a hug, then a quick kiss, and then it was as if 25 years had melted away.

I am happy to say that my SO is the love of my life. He is truly my soul mate. Sometimes I kick myself for not trying a little harder back in high school - but then I realize that it probably took us 25 years of bad relationships to realize what that perfect relationship was supposed to be like.

We currently live 100 miles apart and we both have our careers and children where we live. Some days (many days) the distance is difficult. Luckily 100 miles is not so far that we are able to spend our weekends together. We have been going strong for three years now. I still get butterflies in my stomach when I see him for the first time after being away for a week.

We definitely have plans to close the distance, but we just don't know what those plans are yet. He still has a child in high school and doesn't want to uproot him. I have a professional career and it would be difficult at this point in my life to start over but I am always looking. Right now it looks like it will still be another two years before anything can happen - me there or him here.

For now, we spend every free moment we can together. My SO is always coming up with fun things to do when we are together. We have both branched out of our comfort zone and tried things we never thought we would. My SO has a motorcycle (which I never thought I would enjoy) and we have spent many fun days riding around enjoying the day. This summer we have plans to go golfing (I haven't golfed in 15 years) and canoeing. It's never a dull moment.

To all those in LDRs... hang in there. It CAN work with a little patience and a lot of trust and love.

This is so sweet! I'm so happy for you that your soul never forgot your true love, and I hope you get to be together, permanently, soon. Bewst of luck and love to you!
    "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Oh what a sweet story. I am in a similar situation with a guy I knew when I was a teenager, at that time it was the wrong timing, but now its perfect. Although I contacted him on Facebook.

Waiting on him to come and see me during the summer/Fall for a reunion and see where it goes. We do live 800 miles from one another. I love your story.

Comment

I loved your story! True love has a funny way of working its way into your life. Best of luck and I hope you can close the distance soon!

Comment

This is such a sweet story! Best of luck and you're right, 100 miles isn't too far, but it's still a tough distance.

Comment

That's so nice to hear and I happy to read your story as you finally got what you want.

Comment

Working...
            X