Timo and me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timo and me

I believe this is as good a time as any to try and tell our story. Warning: it’s going to be very long. I hope some of you will bear with me and find it at least slightly interesting or not too boring

Part 1: The virtual

I am still not sure as to when I can date back the beginning of our acquaintance. I’d like to say May 2002, which is when I first joined the music forum he was a member of. But that wouldn’t be exactly true, since I didn’t notice him right away (nor did he notice me, I’m sure; it used to be a rather large online community), and even after I did, we didn’t start interacting until much later. I remember at some point seeing a photo of him in one of those “post a picture of yourself” threads and thinking that he looked particularly handsome. And really out of my league!

During the winter of 2006 I was enjoying a sabbatical after the company I used to work for got shut down, so I would spend much of my time online, on the IRC chatroom of that particular forum, and that’s when I think we first talked, though we didn’t have any significant conversations. To me he was that hot guy who didn’t say much (he is that to many people who only know him online). One day, out of boredom (it was in February 2007) I messaged him out of the blue, asking him a very personal question (I was dared to do it by a dear Australian friend of mine, who was in on the joke) and to my surprise he humoured me and we struck up a long correspondence that was quickly switched to emails. We’d write each other very long, detailed messages about our lives, work, families, and pretty much everything. We also exchanged pictures and phone number. I didn’t think there was more to that then friendship, because he had made his opinion about long-distance relationship pretty clear. He thought they were overall a bad idea, pointless, and that he didn’t see himself ever getting into one in the future. At least that was settled, right?

We had our first phone conversation in May 2008. Granted, he was very drunk then (Finns tend to overcome their shyness more easily with the help of alcohol, apparently) and many hilarious things were said. He didn’t remember much of them the day after, and was rather dismayed that he had used his work phone to make such a lengthy long-distance call, but it was only the first or many, many long calls, and after that most of them had been made when we were both sober.

I never really stopped to consider whether or not I was falling in love with him. I thought about him all the time, couldn’t wait to come online to tell him about this or that event that happened to me during the day, wanted to have his opinion on different subjects, felt sad and bored when he couldn’t be online... but at the same time, I was telling myself that nothing will ever happen because he probably only saw me as a friend, and anyway, he was against LDR’s. However, during that summer of 2008 I did feel that his way of interacting with me was changing. That he was showing more concern about my wellbeing than a regular online friend would, that he was as used to being in touch with me as I was with him. Well, it all lead to one phone call, one October night, in which he told me he loved me. Naturally I said I loved him too, but I hadn’t seriously realized that until that very moment. It was magical. I was walking on clouds for the following days.

Unfortunately it didn’t last. We broke up a little less than a month later, after he got very distant from me. In hindsight I suppose it was because I didn’t want to give him false hope at the time, as I was religious, and in that religion, a woman cannot be in a relationship with a man who didn’t share her beliefs. I kept struggling with the conflicting feelings, and even though I had already started having serious doubts about my beliefs (doubts that had started before the relationship, so I can’t say it was because of him), I kept them to myself. And I never made any plans for us to meet. I never spoke of travelling, or anything. That probably made him feel like it was pointless for him to be with me, if it wasn’t going to lead anywhere. So we parted ways and of course it hurt like hell and I was a total mess. I wanted to cut all ties, and I did... for a week :P I was too weak to go beyond that, and we tried to remain friends. But that was a really shitty situation to be in. I kept hurting for weeks and weeks. But I tried my best to hide it from him.

I don’t want to dwell on that part of my life, but to be succinct: I had come to terms with the fact that I didn’t believe in my religion anymore, I started trying to figure out what I was, what I believed in, what my views on this life were, and that helped me cope with our break-up a bit. He was the very first person to whom I admitted that I didn’t believe in religion (or in a god, for that matter) anymore. We discussed that extensively and he was very supportive. Also, I decided I was going to travel (I had never travelled before, except a few trips to a neighbouring country with my family, when I was very young), and started the proceedings to get a passport, etc. When I shared my plans with him, I gradually started sensing that he was getting closer to me again. I suppose that it’s because he felt that there was a chance now for us to finally meet and, well, do something about our feelings. We got back together the day after my 26th birthday, more or less three months after breaking up.

I spent much of the following months trying to plan a vacation for both of us, but that wasn’t easy because I needed money, I needed my family’s approval (rather conservative, they are) to travel by myself, and more importantly I needed a visa. The original plan to meet in Barcelona in July for a week’s vacation fell through because I was denied said visa. It was very hard for both of us but we tried not to let it affect the relationship too much. I kept working on it until I finally was granted a short-stay visa and could plan a visit to Finland. Tickets were booked for December 2nd 2009.

And that’s where the first part ends Thanks for reading.
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Part II : Meeting

On Wednesday December 2nd, 2009, I boarded a plane for the first time in my life (well, I did take a plane when I was about nine or ten, but I barely remember it, as my parents took care of everything) to fly to Paris, and from there I was to take a second plane to Helsinki. Apparently I couldn’t have picked a better date because the baggage-handling personnel (or however they are called) in Finland had gone on strike a couple of days before, and Finnair was cancelling flights left and right. Mine was still maintained so far and I was hoping everything would go smoothly, but shortly before the first plane took off I got a text from my boyfriend telling me my flight to Helsinki had been cancelled after all. I tried not to panic but that was hard. I was pretty inexperienced when it came to flying in general and didn’t know how to handle the situation. When we landed in Paris I spent much of my time running around from the Air France counter to the Finnair counter, as nobody seemed to know what was going on and who was in charge of what. Finally I could speak to the right people and they informed me that I was booked on the last flight, that was still maintained, and which was scheduled to land in Helsinki at 11:30 pm. We had some delay, and even after that, given the strike, our baggage wasn’t processed until a couple of hours later. When I finally got out it was around 2am and there he was. Looking exactly the same as the pictures, and yet so different. It was a shock for me, seeing him there. I had been so caught up with the whole baggage debacle that I hadn’t even stopped to consider that he was there, a few meters away, probably wondering where I was and why I was so late. My first thought (and first words, after “hey”) was “damn, you’re tall”. Later he said that he also thought “she’s so short”. There obviously is a big difference in height between us, which makes even kissing kind of difficult. Anyway, not to dwell too much on that, we went to the car (and I was struck by how cold it was, I think -3°c) and had our first kiss there. We arrived at his apartment at around 3am and at that point memories start getting fuzzy. But I’m pretty sure most of you can relate to what it is like to be with your SO for the first time.

That first stay was one of discovery and wonder. I hadn’t set foot in a European country since I was two years old, and the country I live in is so far removed from Finland that even the simplest things were astonishing. I had a starry-eyed approach to Finnish nature, Finnish society and the Finnish way in general. And also, having lived all my life with my parents under a rather strict social code, the sudden freedom to do whatever I wanted was exhilarating. Add to that the fact that Christmas was just around the corner, and that everything looked so festive and… magical… And then, of course, there was him. So familiar and yet so strange. I had never experienced that degree of intimacy with a man, and we had moments that I will always cherish, even when I’m old and grey. Especially that one night before I was to fly back home, when we lay in bed in the dark, for hours talking about our greatest hopes and deepest fears, about love and death, and life.

The day I left, I thought my heart was breaking. I sobbed when we parted, sobbed on the plane to Paris, then on the plane to Algiers, and then some more when I called him after I got home, and then in my bed that night. I never thought it would be so hard. So it’s about that time that I began the habit of planning the next trip the day after leaving him in order to stop dwelling on my misery :P

My second trip was more eventful than the first. This time I was to meet his family, who had heard about me and was, I imagine, curious to see me. We took the train to the city of Turku two days after I had flown in (early April 2010), where his father picked us up to drive us to the town of Vahto (about 15 km away). I was at first intimidated by this taciturn man who barely talked to me in the car, but after our first meal together any discomfort between us vanished and he started asking me all these questions about what I did, where I lived, what my country was like, etc. I came to really appreciate his bluntness and dry sense of humour. My SO’s mother, on the other hand, adopted me on first sight. She is a rare breed, that woman. Probably the sweetest, kindest person I know. They both made me feel so at home that I never wanted to leave again. I also got to meet his two older brothers, albeit in sad circumstances for the eldest, as his wife was very ill and was to pass away during the following summer.

Although we were well into spring, there was still snow everywhere. It had snowed during my first stay, mostly on the last two days, but it wasn’t enough for me to say that I had really experienced snow. This time I did, as everything was covered in the stuff. That didn’t stop us from taking long walks in the neighbourhood (he showed his old school, the place where he used to get his hair cut, the library (or what used to be the library) where he worked during his civil service, etc.) We also visited Turku, which is the beautiful, old city that used to be the capital of Finland under Swedish rule. After a few days we had to go back to Espoo. His mother and I were both in tears when we left, but there was the promise to see each other again.

I won’t dwell too much on the trip to Paris. It had its ups and downs, and was pretty magical at times. It was impressive for me to see places I had read about all my life. I think he was less impressed though, and felt intimidated because the roles were reversed: I was the one who spoke the language and conducted most of the communication. But overall we have some very fond memories of the time spent there. Especially that one time when we went to a grocery store and the cashier (a man) basically started hitting on my SO while I was doing the translation for him :P

After going separate ways at the Roissy airport, things got a little complicated. We were facing a long period of uncertainty because my visa had expired and I wasn’t in a very good financial situation so I didn’t know when I’d be able to travel again. Then his brother’s wife passed away and that came as a big shock to the whole family, and then a coworker of mine lost his wife a month after she had given birth to their only daughter, and it left me reeling, as him and I are pretty close. All of this, the distance, and the long time that had passed since we last saw each other took its toll on our relationship, and we came pretty close to breaking up a couple of times. We went through some really rough times but ultimately I think it made us stronger. Eventually, I got my visa renewed and managed to save up enough money to be able to set a date for my next trip, and we were together again on January 30, 2011 (right on time for my birthday, and for our second anniversary). He had moved into a place of his own (he used to share his apartment with a couple of friends), a very nice row-house where we could finally play husband and wife :P It was the middle of one of the coldest, snowiest winters Finland had known in the last 50 years, and it was interesting for me to see how I would manage in such meteorological conditions (not very well, I confess). It was during that visit that we serious discussed our future together, and of course marriage. Our relationship was stronger than ever and we couldn’t see a future without one another. Of course, if I were to move to Finland to live with him, we had to get married so I could apply for a residence permit. So at least we were set on what to do next. We visited his parents and brothers again, which was very nice. This time, leaving him was slightly more bearable than before because the future was less hazy than it used to be.

The following visit took place in June of the same year, around Juhannus (Midsummer), which is a pretty big deal in Finland. It was to date the best time of my life. Finland truly is breathtakingly beautiful in the summer (even with all the mosquitoes and bugs!) We went swimming, visited towns I had never been to before, went to his parents’ summer cottage (not too far from the city of Tampere), met some of his extended family: his lovely grandmother, his godmother, his cousin, and his brother’s new girlfriend, all adorable people. His parents had thrown a little party to celebrate our engagement. Yes, we had gotten engaged during that trip. It wasn’t anything fancy or romantic. There was no surprise proposal or anything like that, just us walking into a store and picking up rings. I don’t regret that for one second, and his family’s reaction to the news made it all worthwhile.
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I travelled again to Finland the following October, not only to experience the beauty of Finnish autumn, but also to take a trip to Germany, to the town of Würzburg, where we attended a music festival in which I got to see some of my favourite bands, and also where we met several people we’d known for years, from the very same forum where we had first met. It was special to me for that reason, but also because I had realized then how natural it was for us to be together, to interact with other people as a couple, and how comfortable we were in one another’s company, even in a different setting. I hadn’t felt that in Paris because in a way we were still getting to know each other then.

So that leaves us with the last visit to date, the sixth, which ended about a month ago. It was too early for summer weather and I was rather startled by how cold it was as I didn’t bring suitable clothes, but I survived! We didn’t do anything special this time, except visiting family (and meeting some relatives and friends for the very first time). We spent most of the trip with his parents, and during the last few days we’d just stay home, cook a nice dinner and watch football games (Euro 2012 had just started).

So that’s for the times I visited him!

Part III : Reality and closing the distance
      So here we are, engaged but with no real, concrete plan to close the distance. The reason is that besides my sisters and a few close friends no one knows about my relationship. If I were to tell my parents they would majorly freak out, because they are completely against marriage with a foreigner (they have told me this verbatim, several times). All those times I went to visit my SO in Finland, I told them I was somewhere else, on business trips (I work for a French company, so it was pretty believable.)

I’m almost 30, have a good job and have been financially independent from them (though I still live with them, but I help with the household expenses) for a few years now, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have this emotional hold over me that makes it extremely difficult to consider breaking off all relations with them to be with my SO. So I’ve been putting off telling them about it for many, many months. And that, of course, has affected our plans to close the distance.

The thing is, there isn’t a doubt in my mind that I WILL move to Finland to live with him, no matter what they say or do. It’s just not going to be easy. And many people (myself included) will end up hurt. But it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I just have to find the guts to do it.

So, my SO and I are going to get married the next time I visit (most likely in November). Nothing fancy, just a quick civil ceremony. That’s about the only real plan I have so far. After I get back home I will simultaneously tell my parents, and apply for a residence permit so that I can move permanently. I have no idea how either event will pan out. I guess only time will tell.

I didn’t mean to conclude this post with so much negativity, but there it is.

Thank you for reading, if you read it all

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story, it was lovely to read it! And I love the pictures you included, especially the one on the beach Your boyfriend really is tall! haha.

Good luck with telling your parents and getting the residence permit! I hope everything goes smoothly. Just make sure you find out all the facts (or all the stuff you need to know) about moving here, apparently we didn't and we struggled a lot financially at first. But I guess it'll be different for you if you'll be married when you move.

Anyway! It was a lovely story, and I hope everything works out for the best

Comment

What a great story! How do you remember it all so clearly?

Nice to hear that you've enjoyed your visits here. I of course think that Finland is the best country to live in and the most beautiful place in the summer
          I hope everything goes well with your visa stuff so that you can close the distance for good. Hopefully your parents can in time understand your choice and support you.

ps. Man he IS tall!

Comment

Awesome story! You guys are so cute together. The height difference is funny but cute! :P Good luck with your parents. I hope everything works out ok. Keep us posted! (:

"I love you and I've loved you all along and I miss you. Been far away for far too long."<3

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
              Thanks for sharing your story, it was lovely to read it! And I love the pictures you included, especially the one on the beach Your boyfriend really is tall! haha.

Good luck with telling your parents and getting the residence permit! I hope everything goes smoothly. Just make sure you find out all the facts (or all the stuff you need to know) about moving here, apparently we didn't and we struggled a lot financially at first. But I guess it'll be different for you if you'll be married when you move.

Anyway! It was a lovely story, and I hope everything works out for the best
              Thank you for reading Elina

Surely your SO didn't have trouble moving to Finland since he's from a EU country? They don't even need a residence permit, they just register at the maistraatti. Or do you mean about finding a job because he doesn't speak Finnish? I'm already aware of that and dreading it a bit, because I don't want to be a burden to my SO. But I guess there's no way around it if we're to live together, so I need to really focus on learning the language first. I know that won't be easy :P

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
                What a great story! How do you remember it all so clearly?

Nice to hear that you've enjoyed your visits here. I of course think that Finland is the best country to live in and the most beautiful place in the summer
                I hope everything goes well with your visa stuff so that you can close the distance for good. Hopefully your parents can in time understand your choice and support you.

ps. Man he IS tall!
                Thanks Well I have a good memory for certain details, and I have been playing it all in my head for years :P Yeah, Finland is really great. I'm not sure how well I will fit in, but I hope it will be an enriching experience! Yeah, he is tall, but I'm also very short (160cm). But we manage

Comment

Originally posted by Sanney4709 View Post
                  Awesome story! You guys are so cute together. The height difference is funny but cute! :P Good luck with your parents. I hope everything works out ok. Keep us posted! (:
                  Thanks a lot for reading. I'll be sure to update

Comment

lovely story.....

thanks for sharing

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

Lovely story. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Thank you all for reading

Comment

I really loved reading the story - so cute!! I wish you all the best for your future together!

Comment

Working...
                          X