"A dream is a wish a heart makes, when you are fast asleep..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A dream is a wish a heart makes, when you are fast asleep..."

Oh God... where to start... this is complicated. so very very complicated! But it would be best to pick up when I last left you guys.

I have been a LFAD member since mid 2009. The old forum and chat were still in order before Michelle and Frank installed this convenient forum, which makes things a lot easier and comfortable. Back then I dated Jess. At some point we were engaged and had a wedding planned until she decided to leave me at the altar in the beginning of 2009. We talked things out and got back together with a brand new and fresh start in mind. In September of 2009, I had to leave the US and went back to Germany only with a temporary LDR in mind. 6 months the most since she wanted to finish her studies with me in Germany. On New Years Eve, she broke up with me by email. Much pain was suffered, many hopes were kept up and destroyed again. At that point I decided to leave LFAD behind because I couldn't deal with all the happy couples. On top of that, I was diagnosed with a tumor, which was considered benign. At least in the beginning... Things turned bad, so yeah... I had to deal with that as well.

So, meet Helen. Helen was my best friend when I still lived in Michigan, so she helped me through my problems. She couldn't be here with me in Germany, but that didn't matter. We spent night after night on the phone or skype and listened to me no matter how often I started over telling her the same stuff again. She was in a more or less shitty relationship as well. As much of a mess I was, I was still there for her as well. Listening to her problems. Neither of us realized what we figured out almost two and a half years later. But more about that later. After two months of talking on the phone and working through problems, things got worse. I found out that Jess started seeing my old roommate which threw me totally overboard. Did she already see him while we were still together? Was it something serious? Questions I couldn't find answers for. I didn't even want to find out for sure. As a result, I collapsed at work with a nervous breakdown. Since Helen was friends with Jess as well, she wanted to spare me the news. I found out anyways. Helen was there for me even though she still dealt with her relationship.

From that point I was not able to develop feelings for anybody in any kind of way. At the same time, I tried to kick off my career, but wasn't sure what to do. I have a degree and thought that I have to find a job in my major, but then I watched a documentary on TV. For the first time in my life, I was totally sure about how my life had to look like: NO Family at all, but travelling the world. In June 2010, I started applying for jobs on cruise ships! After almost a year, in April 2011, my 30th birthday came around. And even though I didn't want to, friends of mine pretty much forced me into a relationship that I wasn't ready for. 3 months later I broke up with her. We are better friends than ever before. So, at least I didn't ruin and waste a friendship.

September 2011, Helen and I were still talking regularly. Still haven't found a job that I really liked - don't get me wrong, I wasn't unemployed at all, just didn't find something that makes me happy - I decided to go for one last job application round with the cruise lines. And it worked! Breaking up with my unhappy relationship was the best thing I could have done and gave me the perfect motivation. From the moment my new employer (sorry, can't tell who it is) hired me, I became a brand new person. Even though I had to wait until April 2012 until I would start working on the ship, I had one thing in mind: "My ship starts their itineraries from Florida and I am about to make a shit load of money. How can I use that to my advantage" I couldn't find a solution for that thought until I got on the ship in April. Somewhere in the Caribbean, I was on the phone with Helen again. I don't know what came over me, but I spontaneously invited her for a week vacation at Disney World. She immediately said yes. That's when I got really nervous. At the beginning I couldn't believe that I will actually see her again. It has been exactly 3 years since I saw her the last time.

So, this was the plan: Getting off the ship on the Saturday morning, run to the airport, pick up Helen, and check in to our hotel. I waited at the tram exit at Orlando International airport. When she finally showed up, she took my breath away. I finally realized that there are more feelings for her in my heart than I was willing to admit. So, what to do? Am I willing to risk a friendship that lastet already almost 8 years or am I going to go all in? I decided to hold back and see what the week brings... We had a lot of fun during the week, but we both felt the tension. On our last night together, we had a couple drinks too many and played a round of "Truth or Dare", supported by an app on my iPad. After we were dared to kiss, we finally gave in. All the tension was gone. We didn't go to sleep the last night. We discovered that we both had feelings for each other for a very long time... years! We both manipulated our minds in ignoring the signals, but the feelings are so strong. When I dropped her off at the airport, we both said we can make this work. Since we had feelings for each other for so long, we could last another cruise ship contract of 5 months plus my immediate 6 weeks of vacation time before the next contract starts until we see each other again. This will be our "probation" period to see if we can actually make it. Our week at Disney World was just magical and special. It made a "Dream come True".

This is my story... if my way of telling our journey was too confusing, I apologize.

Love the story!! Makes you think everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Thank you! It kind of it... When I was still living in MI, people actually told me that they felt that Helen and I were the couple not jess and I. Apparently they saw it coming way before we did.

Comment

It's so great to read this, I hope things keep getting better for you, you deserve it!
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I was immediately attracted to your title because I'm an insane Disney fan.

That was so darned sweet! It reminded me a lot of When Harry Met Sally, and, well, that's one of the best movies of all time, so...and you finally confessed your love for each other in Disneyland?? After so long??

My heart has repeatedly melted. Congrats, and I just know it will work!
          "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

that is such a inspiring story hold tight and never let go

Comment

First of all it's so great to have you back! You've been missed

Lots of happy notes in your story, very happy to be reading such great news. You've been through so much! It's about time things took a turn for the better like Zephii said, you deserve it!
              Congrats for you and Helen very funny how people sensed your connection years before you admitted to it. Your story is very sweet. I hope this new begining will be that of a wonderful adventure hand in hand!

Also congrats on the new career path! It's fantastic that you've found something that you love and that suits you (also explains the seven seas in your location that I didn't get at first ).

I truly hope we'll see you around more often it's true that a lot of the active users on the old site have moved on but there's quite a bit of us old timers here still, just a lot more quiet

Great having you back Tim!

EDIT: just wanted to add, I was very sad to hear about your health problems. You had left us with the news it was benign... I'm so sorry you had to go through such a hard experience in the middle of everything else. *hugs*
              Last edited by ioanna; September 26, 2012, 02:27 AM.
              Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
              And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
              ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Thank you everyone! The last two years were just like living hell. It seemed like there was one bad thing after another hitting me over and over again. I feel amazing and am finally happy with how things are going right now. About my health... I had a couple of surgeries and everything is fine now. ...and still in working order

I have missed you guys as well...

Comment

Welcome back and so good to hear that you are well and happy! You left not long after I joined LFAD, but I still remember how welcoming and supportive you were to me. Hope to see you around more!

Comment

Lovely story, I hope everything works out for you both, and welcome back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rach321 View Post
                      Welcome back and so good to hear that you are well and happy! You left not long after I joined LFAD, but I still remember how welcoming and supportive you were to me. Hope to see you around more!
                      Hey hey! Yes, I do remember you! And I really appreciate how warm and welcoming everybody else is to me coming back to LFAD. I am really happy that you and your SO closed the distance after such a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoFarAway View Post
                        Hey hey! Yes, I do remember you! And I really appreciate how warm and welcoming everybody else is to me coming back to LFAD. I am really happy that you and your SO closed the distance after such a long time.
                        Thanks so much! Closing the distance was a long time coming, and for a long time after closing the distance, it didn't seem real. Now it's hard to remember what it was like to be long distance. Well, I take that back, I remember lots of it, and I'm actually very thankful for it. It helped our relationship grow in many, many ways. But close-distance definitely has its advantages.

Comment

Welcome back Tim! I don't know if you remember me but I remember you from the old forum

Your story is amazing. You've been through so much. Sometimes you just can't see the right choice straight away even if it's right in front of you, you have to make a journey and come back to see the things that have been there all the time. I'm so happy that Helen and you admitted those feelings at last! And you've been friends for so long so you truly know each other and can make each other happy

My LDR became CDR, then LDR again and then we broke up... But I haven't lost my faith in long distance relationships! And LFAD is a big part of my life now after spending years on here

I hope you stick around! This place is still awesome!

Comment

Of course I remember you, Tanja! It is too bad we can't go back to the old forum. I wish I could read some of our old entries. But I have a feeling that not much has changed. And every single day I log on here, I see more and more folks from "the old days". LOL Sorry, that your relationship didn't work out. And I have to stick around this time; otherwise, I will go nuts again. Like I said before: I am wondering how it is going to work when I go back to the ship. Internet time is soooo expensive, so I won't be able to post here every single day, but for sure a couple times a week.

I have never avoided LFAD completely. I logged on once in a while to see what's going on, but never posted anything. You just can't get away from this awesome place

Comment

Nice to meet you...I joined a little after you left.... Glad things have turned around for you!!
                              NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X