"Because you're burned into my soul..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Because you're burned into my soul..."

I'm in the mood for typing, so instead of typing out my sci-fi story or doing university work for once, I decided to share my story, of how things came to be. Apologies now if my post is long, I'll try to keep it short but I've been well known to write more than I should

Bit of backstory first. You should know that when I was 15, my dad decided that we should have an internet connection in our house and that it would be good to have it for when I did my final few years of high-school and even beyond that. It opened me up to the internet and all the positives/negatives that come with it. I soon became an avid online gamer, primarily playing a game similar to World of Warcraft called Shaiya, where I met a huge number of gamers like myself who loved role playing fantasy games full of dragons, demons, magic and mayhem, some of whom still stick in my head to this day. It was through this game I met someone from Australia, and it was with him I first got a taste of LDRs. It didn't last long, and we didn't remain close after what happened, but I discovered what long distance was like and how hard it was. It wasn't something for the faint-hearted. It certainly wasn't worth all the heartache and pain if the partner wasn't willing to get it to work. I didn't like to discuss LDRs after that.

Roll on two years, November 2010. My dad had given me his old iPod touch by this time, since he never used it and I was already putting it to good use. It carried all my music, my favourite apps and photos, plus a couple of videos. I was in my 'Junior/Year 12' school year and I wasn't enjoying it. I'll admit I was having a rough time at school. It wasn't the school work, I coped ok with it all. I just didn't have many friends to turn to and confide in, and I didn't really feel like talking to my parents about what was bothering me. I was finding loneliness an issue: I'm introverted, shy and I don't open up to people very well sometimes. I found it hard to make friends with anyone in my school since I didn't really feel like I fitted in anywhere. They all had their own little 'cliques' and I've always been the outsider, simply because of the way I am. I always felt like the odd one out, since I was content to sit on my own and do my own thing. I've never really been into the whole huge-crowd-of-friends-thing. I only like having a couple of close friends who I can do everything and anything with. At the time, I was in a faltering relationship. My boyfriend James, who lived in England whereas I lived in Wales (we'd been in an LDR for a little while), had received news 2 months before that his ex, a girl from Florida who he'd fallen in love with 5 years previously on holiday and was still struggling to get over, had died of cancer at the age of 16. He was broken and I watched as he spiralled downwards into depression. I tried my hardest not to give up on him, even though I knew he was lost to me. Following several failed suicide attempts, I managed to bring him back from the brink and although we were never the same after, I knew I'd saved his life and I could breathe a sigh of relief. We were never the close couple we'd been after that though. Needless to say, I was struggling. I was mentally exhausted, I felt alone and also detatched from reality.

Now I'm not religious. I never have been. But by this time I was desperate for something. Anything. So one night, I got on my knees before I went to sleep and I prayed. I prayed for companionship, for an end to the loneliness that was starting to bug me. I prayed for James, that he'd find peace, and a girl I'd never known. I wanted to believe that there was someone up there watching over me, and I hoped that whoever that was would hear my prayers. I didn't think anything would come of it, but I couldn't have been further from the truth.

2 days passed. A girl called Sam, who I knew over Facebook through an English friend of mine, started to talk to me more. We'd been friends on Facebook for about 6 months but apart from the odd comment and short conversation, we hadn't really spoken much till that point. We'd comment on each other's photos and statuses and it wasn't long before we started chatting on a regular basis and we became good friends. I'd come home from school, switch my laptop on and look for her online on msn, and if she was online we'd have a long conversation that'd last hours. She became the sister I'd never had in a very short space of time, and I loved her company. It was like we'd known each other years. I'm not one to believe in coincidences normally, but this seemed to be too good to be true. The stroke of good luck didn't finish there though. Everything was about to get even better...

I developed a keen interest in all things technological at a young age. I used to watch my dad playing on the first Playstation on his favourite game, an RTS called Dune 2000, and I was fascinated. My dad was a good influence on me I would say. I love gaming, be it on the PS2, PS1, the first Xbox or the 360, or even on the PC, iPod touch or iPhone. I also love music, namely metal and rock, but any genre will do. More often than not at school I'd end up 'hanging out' with the rockers and gamers at breaktimes, although I never really spoke to some of them. During a random conversation with one of the guys, he told me about a music app for the iPod touch one lunch time, called Tap Tap Revenge 3, and when I got home that day, I downloaded it and started playing it straightaway. It reminded me of a mini version of Guitar Hero and Rockband, but far more addictive. I found out the game had an online mode, where you could play against other players, and there were also chatrooms. Whenever I got tired of playing, I'd hop on the chatrooms and talk to random people, although I never really met anyone interesting, at least not until that one fateful day that would change my life forever.

The day we met I'd been moving randomly from one chatroom to another, looking for someone to talk to. I stumbled upon a chat room named after a band I love, Linkin Park, so I went into it. I spent awhile there talking to a couple of people, but nothing came of it. At least, not until a player with the username DarkStar127 said hello to me. I thought I'd have the same old boring conversation as I normally did with everyone else (honestly, most of them in the chatrooms were so dull) especially when he asked me to send him a private message. I normally didn't pm anyone because most of the time, they were more interested in perving on you more than anything else and I hated that. I guess he started talking to me because my username was so out of the ordinary (RAWRcookieso_O aha) and that was fine with me. I felt oddly compelled to message him however, I can't explain why, and so I did. He replied almost instantly, and from then on we slowly got to know each other. He told me his name was Chris and that he lived in Tucson, Arizona. When he told me he was 15, I almost did a double take. I was 17, yet he sounded even more mature than I did! I was extremely wary at first, and I almost didn't believe him, however I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt (I had no idea at the time why I did) and we continued to talk, learning more and more about each other every hour that passed. That first day we talked for well over 4 hours, and it was only when he had to go sleep that our conversation was put on pause, until the next day at least. I was glad I'd given him the benefit of the doubt. He seemed like a very friendly, trustworthy, very polite and respectful young man and I was intrigued. I wanted to get to know him better still. From what he'd told me in those few hours, he sounded so very similar to me. He even shared some of my passions, like with the gaming, the music, the story writing. I wanted to call him my friend for sure.

We talked non stop for the next week. Every opportunity we got, whenever we could, we'd talk. Needless to say, neither of us slept that great that week. We stayed up late to talk to one another, and neither of us liked having to put our conversations to one side when real life interfered. He'd stay up late just for me, and I for him. Eventually, our conversations moved to MSN as we exchanged emails, and our chats took an interesting turn. I was well aware of how I felt talking to Chris at this point in time: like with Sam, I considered him a close friend even though it'd only been a short space of time, and I adored his company. It was evident the feeling was mutual, because it was obvious in the way he acted round me when we'd talk. He was extremely bright and clever, funny, charming, lovable...I could continue for awhile! We swapped cell/mobile numbers and addresses, so we could both see where each of us lived. When I googled his location, I remember my mouth dropping open and thinking "I want to go there someday. For sure." He'd wait for me to wake up in the mornings so we could start talking straightaway, and I'd wait for him to wake up so I could do the same for him. It was heartwarming to know how alike we were, how similar our hobbies and music tastes were, how practically identical our personalities were. To say we complimented each other would be an understatement. We were 7 hours and 5000 miles apart and although it was awkward at times we managed to get it to work. The distance was something we didn't think about much if we could help it. We pretty much lived in each other's lives. Us being best friends was an understatement. By this stage, we knew each other like we'd known each other forever.

After the first week, I started to notice a subtle difference in the way he spoke to me. He started to flirt with me, and at first I thought he was joking. I didn't take it seriously, thinking it was all just in fun. I later learned he wasn't joking, and when I found out I wasn't sure how to react at first. Although I was with James, I knew it was only a matter of time before it ended. I realised I was just sticking with him because I felt sorry for him and I knew that wasn't a good enough reason to be with someone. I was completely confused and unsure what to do about it.

He knew my opinion on LDRs, and he knew my past/current misfortunes. I also knew he'd tried LDRs in the past, though they'd never worked out for him either. I needed some guidance on the matter, and I didn't think I could talk to anyone at school about what I was going through, so I turned to Sam, told her about Chris, how close we were even though we'd only been friends for a short amount. I told her how I suspected he had feelings for me, more than that of a friend. I told her that I didn't really feel that sort of closeness, but I did consider him to be my best friend. She told me to think it over, consider what I really felt, what I really wanted, told me to ask myself was it something more.

I thought long and hard and that was when I realised, deep down, that it was infact something more, that I'd been falling for him without me even realising it. I was hesitant to consider entering another LDR, but I realised I loved him, and the way he made me feel was something I'd never felt before. Somehow I just knew I loved him. There was no way I could justify exactly why I was so sure, I guess I just knew. I was certain in the fact that it wasn't just me who felt this way, though. I somehow knew he did too, about me, and it was with this knowledge that I made my decision.

I ended things with James, and he wasn't happy. I knew I was doing the right thing, however. I felt guilty and a tad sad though, but I told him it was better for both of us. I could do no more to help him, because whenever I tried all he did was push me away, and all I did was remind him of the girl who'd died.

I told Chris what happened, and he seemed surprised. He told me he loved me, and that he'd had conflicting emotions about me. He'd been afraid to say anything in case I wasn't interested, and because he didn't know how I'd react. I wanted him to ask me out, but I think he was as nervous as I was, and I plucked up the courage (heaven knows where from) to ask him if it technically meant I was his girlfriend now, since he'd been making it out like I was in the many conversations we'd been having, and he told me that he'd love it if I could be, but only if I wanted to be. I told him I'd started to think of him as that too and we both laughed, and from there that was where things began. Where our roller coaster of a story began.

Almost 2 years have passed since we began our journey together. In that time many things have happened, and our relationship hasn't been perfect. Chris's parents have been totally out of order with him the whole time I've known him, treating him like he's nothing and worthless. We'd been together for 8 months when both our parents tried to stop us from talking to one another. They banned us from using our laptops, Xbox's and our phones, so we couldn't have any communication. When some of our restrictions were lifted, we made secret emails and Facebook accounts so we could talk, share photos and videos, and be lost in our own little 'safe world.' After almost a year together, things ended badly when we both became depressed and I ended it, for both our sakes. We remained friends, but for 6 months we went through this 'awkward' stage, where I longed for him to be mine again but tried hard to keep my wishes to myself, where Chris was unsure of everything. It was painful, difficult and almost unbearable. We've had disagreements rather than arguments, and we've gone twice without speaking to each other for a number of weeks. This summer we had our first real, big argument and I didn't speak to him for almost 2 months. He contacted me about a month ago, I heard him out, and we worked things out. We began anew, turning our backs on all the bad things that have happened, and we could not be happier.

I have learnt a great, many things in the time I've known my dear Chris, but more so these past few weeks. I have learnt that having strength is one thing, having courage is another but by being in love you can conquer all. I have learnt that things in this world, things that we desire beyond everything else, cannot come to you easily. That you must fight for them. And I know for sure, if nothing else is certain, that however up and down our journey has been so far, I love him more than I could have thought possible, that he loves me more than I could have thought anyone could love me, and that we are one. <3 The title of our story is something he told me, not all that long ago. He is without a doubt the most remarkable, amazing person I have ever known and despite the negative things that have happened, everyday we grow stronger. He knows just what it is we have, and we are both one hundred percent committed to each other.

We use Skype at least once a day, and text each other the rest of the time, or use Facebook. I hope to go to Arizona in the near future, and spend at least a couple of weeks there with him, so we can finally be together.

After all we have gone through, I think we deserve a little piece of heaven.

And if you read my story from start to finish, thank you for taking the time to read. It means a lot to me. <3

Comment

Believe it or not, there are a lot of parallels in our stories!

I look forward to hearing about you booking that trip to Arizona!
      First met online: June, 2010
      First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
      Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Third visit together: August, 2012
      Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
      Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
      Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by Verojoon View Post
        Believe it or not, there are a lot of parallels in our stories!

I look forward to hearing about you booking that trip to Arizona!
        Strange, we seem to have similar stories xD

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story! I also cannot wait to hear about you booking a trip to Arizona!

Comment

So happy for you! I sure hope you can meet soon.

Best of luck sweetheart!
            "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Working...
            X