An American and an Aussie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An American and an Aussie.

I don't even know where to start with this story. Where to even begin. I've read some of the other LDR Stories on here and literally thought to myself, "Finally! Someone who can relate!" Well I'm not going to sugarcoat anything in this story... So I'll begin.

I was fresh out of high school, knew where I was going to college in the fall, had a long term boyfriend. Things looked right, but they sure didn't feel right. I was so happy to be out of high school, all I wanted to do was enjoy my summer and what better way to celebrate just graduating high school than by going on a cruise to Mexico! It was a great escape from the hardship of a failing relationship and the inevitable arrival of a fall semester at a college that wasn't even picked out by me.

Anyway, so right off the bat my cruise to Mexico was a hit. Started out my first evening by getting some spa treatments done. Just perfect. (FYI, the cruise was only a week long.) So the next couple of days I did what any other normal girl does on a cruise: I tan! I was always by the pool during the day, mingling and having a good time meeting loads of new people. By night, I'd switch between comedy shows and the hot tub. When I wasn't on the ship, I was spending time on the beach in Cabo San Lucas! It was a week where worry, hurt, and anger had no role.

The last three days of my trip turned my world completely upside down. In a good way, of course. It was a little later than normal, but I had successfully figured out what time I would have the hot tub all to myself. Sometimes a girl just wants to be left alone. In this case, I'm that girl. The hot tubs were placed on the back of the ship, so there was little lighting and at night time, you could see EVERYTHING. I'm talking every little star in the sky. It was breathtakingly beautiful. My lovely alone time came to an abrupt stop when two fine young gentlemen entered what I called "my" hot tub. I wasn't going to just awkwardly sit there and not say anything. So I started out by saying a simple "hello." The minute he opened his mouth I swear to you my heart melted. There were a couple of Australians in my presence!! For anyone who knows me, accents are my thing. Not just any accent though, an Australian accent. I seriously died and went to heaven. Well, not literally haha but y'all know what I mean.

The next three days were magical. That evening in the hot tub turned into a whole night of sitting in the lounge just talking. (To clear a few details up, the two guys who came into my hot tub that night are brothers. G is younger and J is older.) J and I exchanged as much information about ourselves as we possibly could manage for a whole nights worth of just talking. The connection we immediately had was undeniable at the time. We never said anything, but we could tell something was there between us. As J finally walked me back to my cabin I kept having mental debates on whether I should ask him to meet me again or not. Part of me was wishing he would ask, but hey, maybe he was having the same debate with himself. Neither one of us ended up asking and I crawled into bed that night with just a smidgen of regret. The next day came around and as I wandered the decks of the ship I kept looking around in hopes of seeing him again. I didn’t realize as I wandered into the bookstore that our paths would cross again. He happened to be with his mom helping her shop. When he saw me walk in, his whole face lit up. He immediately came over to me and asked if I wanted to hang out. We left and went to the arcade, playing a couple of games and just having a genuinely good time! We found ourselves in an empty lounge room. From there we sat down, this time a little closer than the first time. We shared our first kiss right then and there. It was good until five seconds in I thought about my bf from back home… I pushed him away. Then said sorry and left. I thought that would have been the end of it, since the ship was so big I’d probably never see him again. But of course, the universe had different plans. Later that evening I found myself watching a movie by myself on the upper deck, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up, and what do you know! It was him. No surprise right? He sat down next to me. We were silent for a little bit, until he started holding my hand. Told me he wanted to keep in touch with me. I agreed with this; I mean, why not? So we exchanged information and he walked me back to my cabin. The next morning, we were back in the States; I was headed home to Norcal, while he was at LAX ready to fly back to Sydney.

I thought it would end there but oh was I wrong. That was just the beginning. On my way back home I understood why I ran away from him… I was denying the fact that my relationship was a wreck and soon thereafter we broke up. J and I never lost touch. We stayed friends; texting each other daily, skyping every once in a while. Then about five months after the cruise he got a girlfriend. I mean, I told myself to face it: nothing was ever going to happen with someone who was almost 8000 miles away, who was on a different continent, different time zone! I was by now in college, living my life the way I wanted to. I was trying to find my place, like any other college student fresh out of the house and in the world on their own. Every once in a while, the feelings I had for him popped up, but I always forced them down. I always had to bite my tongue whenever we talked, careful I might say something that would jeopardize our friendship. The gf only lasted for about a year. Throughout that time we never lost touch at all. I can’t explain it, not easily. Whenever we conversed, it was always fresh; healthy; sincere; genuine. We’ve built a solid foundation as “friends,” but within that year and a half our feelings slowly grew stronger and stronger.

Sometimes I ask myself, “Why me? Why us?” The universe is so funny sometimes. Most people who have had encounters like this on cruises/vacation normally forget about it; nothing is done about it. We were different. We are different, actually. We never let go of that undeniable connection between us. I read the most true quote on this site the other day and immediately thought that it pertained very accurately to us… “We are the perfect couple, we’re just not in the perfect situation.” It has been eighteen months since our encounter on the cruise, but we have never lost touch. We both know what is between us and I’m happy as can be feeling confident in the fact that this man is my perfect fit. It’s November now, and in about five weeks I’ll be reunited with this amazing man to spend New Year’s with. Like he said, “It’s crazy, but we can do this.” And I agree with him 110%. Yes we can.

Very cute story!
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Awwwww, I just died reading this. So cuteeeeee. You're so lucky to be spending New Year's with him! Hope things work out for you guys!

Comment

aww such a cute story..it makes me believe real love stories are far better than fantasies and movies

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Ohhh, them Aussies! I have one too
            love the story, how was the trip?

Comment

Wow! I honestly have to say your story brought tears to my eyes. I too, have an Aussie stealing my heart but I have yet to find someone that understands how difficult this all is. He lives in Perth and I have never had such an instant connection to this man before. I hope you the best in your relationship! It's funny because we used to say "We are the perfect couple..just not in the perfect situation"

Good luck!
              Long Distance Relationships
              Have An Urgency That Couples
              In Short Distance Relationships
              Can Only Dream Of

Comment

awe that is such a sweet story! you guys must be fated for each other <3 i also have an aussie stealing my heart, so i know what you mean by the accent hehe, he is such a great guy, so sweet and lovely, it must be an aussie thing
                sigpic

Distance tears couples apart. But if we can get through over a year without even meeting... Thats special...
                -Connor<3

Comment

Working...
                X