Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Canadian and A Belgian meet at a wedding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Canadian and A Belgian meet at a wedding...

I'm a very lucky Canadian Girl in an LDR with a very special Belgian boy. This is our story.

In September of 2013 I was acting as MC at a friend's wedding. The bride is from Canada and the groom is from Belgium. Some of the groom's friends and family flew into Canada for the wedding and it was part of my wedding duties to help pick them up at the airport. My SO-to-be was one of the groomsman at the wedding. My first real impression of him was watching him run down the streets of Moncton to get a picture of a restaurant sign that said "BJ’s." Quirky with a sense of humour? Check.

My second impression was a very important one. Originally the two of us had planned to attend Montreal ComicCon the week before the wedding, and were going to introduce ourselves there. I had to cancel at the last minute due to lack of funds. When he arrived for the wedding, he pulled out two Journey into Mystery graphic novels that he had picked up for me, just because I hadn't been able to make it. Thoughtful and Generous? Check.

We spent the week discussing our favourite things and running wedding errands. He quizzed me on my video game knowledge and my top five favourite movies. By the second day he had asked for my number and we were spending our time apart texting each other. I loved spending time with him and as someone who doesn't date much, I wasn't sure what to do about that.

At the wedding he chose to sit with my roommates and I instead of the bridal party. We talked, played wedding games and after some encouragement from my roommates we eventually slow danced. We even drove a golf cart around the reception together. (For those wondering, I’m the better driver :P) After we dropped off the newly weds at their hotel, we took off to hang out for a few more hours. We sat at the border, looking over the water on the clear crisp night and talked for hours.

Contrary to popular belief, nothing happened until the day he was flying out of Moncton and heading back home. I had admitted my doomed but hopeful feelings to him the night before and awkwardly got into the car to take him to the airport. Neither of us made a real move, although I did spill a latte that nearly destroyed his passport, plane ticket, cell phone and wallet. Sortly after he threatened to throw his ticket out the window, swearing up and down that if they made him leave, he would just come back.

At the airport the newlyweds said their goodbyes and darted away to spy on us from a distance (just like in the cartoons). We said an awkward goodbye. He said he would miss me and suggested that maybe we should kiss. It was the cutest, most awkward peck on the lips known to man. We blushed, stammered farewells and left. We would spend MONTHS retelling the tale and swearing to do better next time.

He immediately started talking about coming back. We talked for hours every single day. Talking turned into six hour webcam dates. I distinctly remember the exact moment on Halloween weekend when I opened my messages and started screaming for joy. He had purchased his return ticket for two and a half months in Canada.

It was a huge risk, as we had only really known each other for a month. We were confident in our decision and went into it with an escape plan, just in case. We never needed it. On June 6th I'll be taking my own trip to visit him in Belgium for three months. It's the most risky, amazing, selfish thing I've ever done and I'm both excited and terrified. Every day our story gets longer and more amazing and I can't wait for the next chapter!

Nice story.... Enjoyed reading it

Comment

Good story!

Comment

amazing, heartwarming story, loved it.
        “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
        ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
        Closed the distance >21.03.2015
        sigpic

Comment

This absolutely melted my heart!! It reminded me of my SO and myself, because we had a sort of similar crazy situation at the beginning (when I met him, I knew he was going off to travel to Bali in a month for an undisclosed period), but I decided to go with it anyway. Just over a year and a half later, I know it's the best decision I ever made.

Best of luck to you both! You're really adorable.
          "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

you are a good story teller. I truly enjoyed reading this and I wish you and your SO a long and beautiful journey together

Comment

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the support and the compliments on my writing. I know I'm biased, but I love our story. One day I'm going to write out every detail so that I can remember it years from now :P

Comment

Such a cute story. I especially liked the clumsy part of almost destroying his wallet and passport, it sounds like something that would have happened to me as well. All the best to you guys!

Comment

Lovely story! Hope you're going to have a great time in Belgium, i sure did, lovely country and my SO's family is to die for!

Comment

Working...
                  X