From Guatemala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Guatemala

I've been reluctant to post just because I'm not quite in a long-distance relationship (yet). I met SO on March 6, I attended an education reform concert at USAC, the public university in Guatemala (where he attends), along with other students from my study/research program. He asked me to dance, I said no. He took my hand anyway and I slipped away when a circle formed around us as I'm not fond of spot-light attention (go to find out he isn't either, nor does he know how to dance). For some reason, he continued to talk to me the rest of the night and after leaving and finding him on Facebook, we went on a date a few weeks later. We became "official" April 6, the day I got back from attending a conference in the US - each time I've left/arrived in Guate, he's insisted on meeting me at the airport, even for a 7am flight.

Because I live(d) in a different town, about an hour away, our relationship has greatly relied on Facebook chats and text messaging. I went back to the US (where I am from) for 3 weeks at the end of April and we chatted every day over Facebook. Even got to talk on the phone once because I bought Skype minutes (he doesn't have internet at home so Skype isn't really a tool for us).

I'll be in Guatemala until the end of August; so for now, we get to see each other about once a week. At the end of August I'll be moving back to Washington, DC to finalize my master's thesis and officially "graduate" as well as get a salaried job. SO and I discussed options for the future, etc. and decided my moving to DC is best since we want to save for the future and plan on getting married in 3 years. I've been lingering on the boards because I know that an LDR is inevitable, as there are no career opportunities for me in Guate. I'm happy for the time I have with him though I'm looking forward to the next phase as that means our future plans are starting.
    When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
    no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Always nice to see more Latin American relationships on here

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to LFAD, and it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders. I wish you the best of luck!
        "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Thank you, all! The forum seems really supportive and I'm glad I found it.
          When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
          no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Working...
          X