Finding love in a dark place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding love in a dark place

Until this day I still can't believe how I came about meeting my future husband.

It was a day in mid December 2012 when I walked into my ex-boyfriend's(boyfriend at the time) apartment and saw some guy in uniform sitting on the couch. I was introduced to him and we exchanged names/greetings. His name was Chris. When he looked up at me to say hello, my heart melted from his beautiful smile. Straight, pearly whites and dimples. I didn't think much of anything because me and the ex-bf got into a fight right before we got to his apartment so I just went straight to his room.

Fast forward a month later to mid January 2013. My relationship with my ex-boyfriend was very rocky. He was the kind of guy that never opened the door for me until I said something about it 3 months into the relationship. He also didn't even get me a CARD for my 21st birthday. He was also the kind of guy that told me my Christmas present was coming in the mail and then a week before Christmas, told me he was too broke to get me a present (or even a card, apparently). Basically, he was a HORRIBLE boyfriend. He made me cry every single week.
    So, one night I was out at dinner with the girls. You know how when we girls get together, we talk about anything and everything...especially boys. The topic of mixed guys came up. So I mentioned to them I met a mixed guy recently and I was able to find his profile through my ex-bf's facebook. Oh yeah, did I mention that he was half white, a quarter Vietnamese and a quarter Indian. I am full Viet. And did I also mention that I have ALWAYS wanted to be with a mixed guy?? ANYWAYS. I passed my phone around the table and when I got my phone back I placed it down. Ten minutes later, I got a fb message from Chris saying "Hi Trang". I freaked out. I thought he found me on facebook but turns out one of the girls added him as a friend from my facebook! I felt like such a creep. I casually replied back to him and he thought I was his cousin's relative or something because of my last name. I told him I was Yas' girlfriend and that we met recently.
    Our conversation was very casual with him talking about how he doesn't want to go back out on patrol (Coast Guard) and ended briefly. I also didn't think much about him after that.

One night in late January, it was the last straw for me. I finally broke it off with Yas. I was happy that I got out of such a crappy relationship but at the same time I felt sad and lonely. So I made a decision that I'm so glad I did until this day. I decided to message Chris on fb again to just talk. I just wanted someone to talk to that would take my mind off the breakup. He did just what I hope he would do. We chit chatted about his family, our favorite foods and restaurants in Houston and his patrol status. This was when I found out that he was living right next to San Francisco. What's funny is that I was gonna be going there for a convention in May. I told him that and his reply? "I will have to show you around!" For some reason it made my heart all fluttery. At that point I knew that I might be starting to develop something for this new friend I made.

This whole time we were talking, he thought I was still in a relationship. So when he randomly told me that he signed up for a military dating website, I jokingly said I was going to too. He asked me why would I and that Yas wouldn't like that. Of course, that's when he found out I was single and left me hanging with the message, "You shouldn't have told me that."

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? I had to find out, but he refused to tell me. So, I gave up. I was tired of getting on fb to message him so I told him to just text me and gave him my number
    From then on we texted and then he asked me if he could call me. I agreed but holy crap, I was so nervous that I wanted to throw up. So he called me one night, and that was the night I knew that this guy came into my life for a reason. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I was so miserable and then Chris showed up to lift my spirits up again. We talked for 8 hours straight that night and it felt like it wasn't enough. Both of us didn't sleep and went straight to work/school after we hung up. What's funny was that we found out that we went to the same church/sunday school when we were younger. I never noticed him but I thought his cousin was cute. What a small world!
    After that phone call, we texted/talked 24/7. We even started facetiming. The first time I facetimed with him, I kept thinking to myself: "How did this happen? How can someone so perfect be falling for me? Why does his smile make me feel so vulnerable?"
    We decided to meet. I flew over there on February 14, 2013. Yes, Valentine's Day! He picked me up from the airport and let me tell you, I have never been so nervous like I was while sitting there waiting for him. I didn't know how we was going to be in person. Or if we would even click in person.
    This guy came with roses in hand. When I hugged him i was so shy so it was a one arm hug but then he just grabbed me and gave me a big bear hug and told me he was glad I came. My heart was pumping so fast and hard! He drove us home and made oxtail soup for me, it was absolutely delicious!
    That was how we met. Ever since then we tried to see each other every 2-3 weeks. If I'm not flying down there, he comes to Houston. He told his family about me very early into our relationship. When we aren't together, we would send each other surprise packages or cards, it helps make the distance a little more bearable.

Then, he got on one knee. It was at our favorite french restaurant in San Francisco. I was so shocked but of course, I said YES! He got me a beautiful Neil Lane ring that I absolutely adore. We aren't having our wedding for another 2 years or so.
    Currently, we are 2000 miles away but he is coming down for Christmas in a little less than a month and then I am moving to Cali with him! I'm going to live with him over there until he is done with the Coast Guard late next year and then we will be moving back to good ole Houston, TX where we will start our lives together

A blessing can come when you least expect it and when you need it the most! I am so glad he is a part of my life. I couldn't imagine my life without him. We are the perfect match. We learn from each other and grow together as a couple. Our relationship is filled with honesty and faithfulness for each other. Of course we have had our rough patches but that is what brings us closer to each other. When you can work out your differences and love each other regardless of the flaws, your relationship will be rock solid. You don't want a relationship that will last 5 or 10 years. You want one that you guys can grow old together. This is the relationship I am in. It IS what you make it! And it definitely takes two with the same effort from both ends! Don't ever give up and always try harder and encourage each other! Being romantic is also a huge key to LDRs! Good luck to all those out there going through the same thing I am! It's so worth it

What a beautiful story!
    I'm so happy and excited for you, I hope everything works out between you!

Comment

This is such a cute story! ^_^ Congratulations. Best wishes to you both!

Comment

Happy for you!
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
        X