The Trombonist and the Clarinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trombonist and the Clarinet

The summer before my sophomore year, my first boyfriend dumped me and my mom broke her ankle. It was a rough summer for me. I wasn't sure how I was going to survive it. I was depressed and constantly berated. I was basically my mom's personal slave. She turned into a mean, hateful person because she couldn't get around. I had also sustained a concussion shortly after my mom broke her ankle from falling off of my horse. OUCH... I promise I had a helmet on XD. Anyway, I was MISERABLE. Like really, really miserable. I would lay awake late at night and horrible, horrible thoughts would run through my head, like the fact that no one would miss me if I was gone. I just kept telling myself that if I could make it to marching band, everything would be alright.
    so, finally, marching band season rolled around. My first day of pre-camp was magic. I forgot everything that had bothered me and just focused on the music and the marching band. It was fantastic. I had wanted to do marching band since I was in fith grade, and my high school did not allow freshman to join marching band. We're pretty good. (read: we kick ass). The second day of pre-camp I met him. His name is Ben. He was a senior. I was sitting with my friends enjoying lunch before we had to go do a sectional. He was sitting with another friend of mine, they were both trombones. One of my best friends was trying to get the battery out of her phone, and failing. So Ben and my other guy friend came over and attempted to help. They eventually got it, and then a conversation started. I thought this boy was cute and different. The fact that he was a senior didn't really phase me.
    So a couple days later, or maybe it was the next day, we picked "buddies". I found myself, against all odds, praying that the clarinets would be paired with the trombones. By some miracle, we were. I immediately found him and claimed him as my buddy on the grounds that "I know you, and I don't want to meet anyone else." He just laughed at me.
    That friday, the friday before a grueling week of band camp that would turn out to be the best week of my life, let alone my summer, I found him on facebook. We talked the whole weekend. We flirted a lot, too. I began to get the sense that he liked me, and I liked him. He was funny and sweet and I was so charmed by his personality. That Sunday, we had a bowling party to kick off the long week. Ben and I were flirty and hung out the whole night. My friend gave him my number and found out for sure that he liked me. So band camp began and we flirted and ate together every day. We got very close. We'd talk every night after I got home. Wednesday came and I was soooo tired. During lunch I laid my head down on my arm as I was sitting next to him. He then moved me to his shoulder. And then my friend came and ruined it. XD Wednesday was movie day for the band, and our director had picked the worst movie ever. But I didn't care. I laid my head on his shoulder and stared at him for a minute. He finally got the message and put his arm around me. Then my mom freaked me out after the movie by asking me what we were. My eyebrows got stuck in the same position for hours. I asked him that night about what we were. His internet died that night so I was left wondering. The next day he asked me out by saying "So we're a couple, then?" And then he wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on the forehead. I introduced him to my parents and we saw each other every weekend.
    On the night of homecoming, we were sitting in my backyard and he told me he loved me. The next weekend, we went on a band trip to Sandusky and it was magical. He was constantly mouthing "I love you".
    It was all well and good until Halloween. I got into a huge, major fight with my mom. She ended up slapping me in the face. I messaged him in tears. He was there for me, of course, he always is.
    We were perfect together. He had his first Christmas ever with me (he's an atheist who's parents are a variety of Christians that don't celebrate religious holidays or Valentine's Day or Halloween. He's not fond of his parents. so he knows what I'm going through with mine). I gave him something very personal to me, a leather bracelet with my horse's name on it. I had worn it every day until I gave it to him. He still wears it whenever we go out and are dressed up. Even when he goes out with his friends. He took it to college with him.
    Anyway, time passed and we grew closer and closer. In the spring of 2013, I auditioned, and got, the position of drum major within my marching band. So, basically, me and three others are in charge of 273 kids. Ben graduated in the summer and we spent every second together that we could. I didn't know that he would stay with me. He was the one more afraid of the distance. Band camp came, as did our one year anniversary. Band camp was a tough time for me. It's really hard for drum major. We take a lot of heat from the directors, especially with us going to Macy's Parade this year. He was there whenever I needed to talk, or rant.
    When it came time for him to leave for college, I was still uncertain as to whether or not we were going to make it. I cried so hard when he left. He told me if I wouldn't stop he'd cry too. He came back for labor day and we went to the local reinassance faire. he bought me a beautiful necklace. He also came back and suprised me and asked me to my homecoming. I visited him once and we had one day over thanksgiving break.
    We spent Christmas and New Years together. Yesterday I sent him back to college. It was very hard to say goodbye to him, but I know it's worth it in the end. I love him so much. He's my person, my everything. He's different around me than he is with everyone else. he's kinder, more open. he was apparently never one for pda, but whenever he's around me, we're always touching one another, be it holding hands, leaning against one another, anything. I know he loves me. He doesn't think he's good enough for me, but I think he is perfect. I know he is. He's my other half. I love my nerdy, programming, mathy Ben. I don't know if I'll close the distance when I go to college, but I hope we eventually get to live out all the somedays we've planned together.

This is ADORABLE! I loved reading this! Being a member of my school's marching band (flute) I could definitely relate to some of that. I've always secretly loved the idea of a band relationship, they're so cute! Although I didn't meet my SO in band haha, I still love him. But your story is so cute! I wish you two the best!

Comment

Working...
    X