An Unexpected Love that became True Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Unexpected Love that became True Love

When my S/O and I first officially met, it was September 17th, 2013. We were part of the Team Fortress 2 communities on Deviantart and Tumblr, along with a mutual friend who introduced us. We had commented on a couple of each others' posts here and there, but it wasn't until September 17th when I was sent a message on Tumblr if I wanted to be friends on Steam so we could role play. I gladly accepted, and we chatted for a bit. At the time, I was 17 and my S/O was 23. For the sake of timeline placement, I'm going to use female pronouns for now. She asked me if I felt weird role playing with someone older than I was, and I said I didn't have any problems with it at all. We roleplayed scenarios that would take place in the universe of the game Team Fortress 2. My character was named Jarrod, a Scout for the red team, and my S/O's character was originally a watcher (Not an actual class,) and later a Scout, named Leah. The two characters flirted a bit here and there, and eventually we ended up putting them into a relationship. The roleplay relationship went on for a while, with the two getting engaged and married, meeting each other's parents and so on. It was all good fun, but little did we know that the characters we were playing were more like us than we had thought.

As time went on, the two if us were getting to know each other better, outside of the characters. Seeing how Leah had treated Jarrod, and now that I had known my S/O better than I did before, I had started to develop a crush on her. For a while I shook it off, saying to myself "There's no way a 23 year old would want to date someone who's 17." Soon enough, her 24th birthday came around in November of that year, and the age gap made me a little more unsure of how she'd respond. We continued on as we did, but eventually the roleplay was phasing out of our friendship, and it was more one on one talks between us. Not the characters, but the people who created them. We sort of dropped out of the role playing community as a whole, as people in the community were causing drama that neither us wanted to deal with. So, after a couple of months of us actually being, well...us toward one another, something happened. We were having a steam chat one day, and this is a summary of that conversation; February of 2014, we were talking, and she said, “Whenever we talk, I feel…n-never mind.” I only had one thing on my mind at this point, so I asked “Well, I don’t want to sound like I have a huge ego or anything, but…do you happen to have a crush on me?” Oh, and her reaction was the best in the world. She started to babble and blush, before she let out a quick “yes.” Knowing this, I couldn’t be happier. I took a deep breath and said, “Well, would it make you feel better if I told you that I have one on you, too?” I don’t know why we didn’t start our relationship there, as it took a few days. I think, perhaps, we just wanted to give it all some time. Then, something in me told me to ask, so I did. I asked “Hey…do you think that we should start calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend?” Her response was “A-are you serious?” I gave her a very positive “Yes, I am.” Her response to that was an immediate “YES!”

The thing that made our relationship interesting is that she had given up on love, and I wasn't really looking for anyone at that time. We just sort of stumbled into each others' lives and fell in love. And you know what? I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm happy that we changed our lives for the better!

From that day onward, we were a couple. However, it took us a couple of months to actually tell people. We were actually planning on having me go to Norway before our relationship even started, since we were such close friends, and I talked with my parents about the trip. We weren't sure how people would react to us. I mean, a long distance relationship is full of enough criticism, let alone with there being a 7 year age difference between us. But, eventually in May, we made it public to our friends and families. My parents were skeptical of the whole thing. They gave me the whole "How can you love someone you met over the internet?" "How do you know this person is who they actually claim to be?" Which, I can understand. Then some of my friends asked me questions like "How do you go on dates?" We disregarded all of that, and soon enough my parents were asking me how everything was going between the two of us, how my S/O was doing, and so on. We were happy that everyone was accepting of it. At one point during all of this, my S/O came out to me as genderfluid/genderqueer, and prefers to be referred to with male pronouns, but doesn't mind female pronouns. Basically what this means is that sometimes he feels more feminine, and sometimes more masculine. Physically female, but he has his hair cut short and dresses in more male clothes, but also enjoys wearing feminine clothes and likes to grow his hair out. Anyway, now that we have that out of the way, we can get back on topic and use my S/O's proper pronouns.

So, onto August of 2014. The 5th of August is my birthday, and 5 days after that, August 10th, I had packed my bags and was on my way to Norway for 2 weeks to spend time with my love. We planned it this way because with me being 18, there wouldn't be anything stopping us from being together. Even though I believe the age of consent in both Massachusetts Norway is 16, we wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any problems there. And, I have to say that those 2 weeks went over extremely well! When I arrived at the airport and saw my S/O face to face, we immediately hugged, and said "Hi!" That was the best hug of my life. When we got back to his apartment, we changed into our pajamas, ate some dinner, and cuddled on the couch for a little while before going to bed. I couldn't believe it. I was able to hold the person I love in my arms for the first time. It was nothing but love between us! For the most part, we just lived our lives as we usually did, except this time, we could kiss and cuddle as much as we wanted! We didn't go see any sights of Norway, but that didn't matter. I had the best sight in all of Norway by my side! I got to meet his family, have some Norwegian food, and possibly the best thing I tried was O'Boy. It's similar to Nesquick, except it knocks Nesquick way out of the park! And, of course with most couples you leave alone together for two weeks, we did make love. He was my first, and I'm very happy about that. I wouldn't want it to be anyone else! Eventually, it was time to say bye for the first time, and it was tough on both of us. We actually stayed up all night on our last day together. We watched some YouTube videos, Doctor Who, and Skyped with some friends who wanted to see us together for the first time. Soon enough, his friend was knocking at the door ready to drive us back to the airport. I remember that everything was fine, until I had to get in the security line. We kissed and he said “It's not a 'goodbye.' It's a 'See you later.'” We said our “I love you”s and I was off into the line...but then I took him by the arm, saying “Just one more hug!” and we began to cry. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

The last week of my summer went well. Soon enough, it was off to college for me. The two of us Skyped as much as we could. My overall college experience has gone over just fine. Thing is, my S/O was worried that I'd meet someone else there. But, I'm not that type of guy. I'm loyal to my Norwegian cutie! I could never do anything to hurt him! During my first semster, the two of us started playing on an online Minecraft server. And, honestly, it's a lot of fun. Then somewhere along the line, he applied to become staff on that server, or a mod, whatever you'd like to call a staff member on a game server. For a while, I was happy for him, being able to keep a watchful eye on the troublemakers that joined the server. But, that meant making new friends as well. This is when I started to get jealous since he was getting attention from other people. Keep in mind, this is my first serious relationship, so I was used to our old friends, and me being one of the only people to give him a lot of attention. Eventually, my jealousy got the best of me, and I had to tell him how I was feeling. The thing is, when I don't really know people, and they interact with my S/O, I'll get jealous. However, I'm not a control freak, nor do I want to be so I would never in a million years tell my S/O that he can't talk to other people. But my jealousy got so bad that I was feeling depressed. So, when I told him, he reassured me that I'm the only one for him, and that he truly loves me. He also mentioned how he gets jealous when I hang out with my own friends, and that I talk to other people in my college classes. This sort of thing happened twice, once in December and again this past April. I understand that we can't be the only people in each others lives, but my jealousy is a major flaw of mine. But, after two deep conversations of reassurance, I can say that I no longer get jealous as much as I did. Sure, there are little bits of jealousy here and there that I feel, I'm human after all, but I'm no longer letting it eat at me. I've definitely gotten better at handling my emotions, and getting to know these people before my mind jumps to ridiculous conclusions. (Continued on next post)
    Last edited by AJG96; September 6, 2015, 10:52 PM.
    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Everything came and went. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year, all without any major issues. The two of us stayed strong against all odds. We were actually planning on meeting for our one year anniversary in February, but that didn't happen, as my S/O wanted to come to the US, but wasn't able to earn enough money for a passport and plane ticket, and seeing as I have financial needs of my own, and as much as I wanted to I wasn't able to help him out. But, that whole thing was solved when I was able to get money to spend a week in March for my spring break. I was so happy, because I knew that this time around, both of us had the confidence to greet each other not only with a hig, but a kiss when I arrived at the airport. This visit wasn't much different from the last one, except for a few things: I was only staying for a week, we were much more comfortable with each other this time, and my S/O had moved to a new, bigger apartment. At the last one, we had to eat our meals on the couch on the coffee table, because it was either a TV or a dining table, and let's face it. A couch and a TV is awesome, especially when you get to cuddle on it. But, this time around, we were actually able to sit down at a table and eat our dinner together! I absolutely loved that! We had a lot of fun in the short week that we spent together, but it was all worth it! At the end of the visit, it was back to the airport again. And, I have to say, there were a lot less tears this time around. I think it's because we anticipated it. We didn't exactly prepare for me to leave the first time, but this second time around, we did. That's not to say we didn't have any heart ache, because we did. Just not a lot of tears.

In April, my father had to get a replacement for his left hip. Before, watching my father walk with so much obvious pain in the left leg was heart breaking for me, especially since he's only 50 years old. But, luckily he made it out just fine, and now he's walking as if his hip never had to be replaced. And my S/O was there as much as he could for me and my family. He asked how my father was doing almost every day, and was happy to hear that dad was feeling better and walking around perfectly fine.
    The next few months were the usual. I'd attend my college classes and come home for the two of us to Skype for some time. Our lives aren't exactly super eventful, but when they are, we tell each other. Anyway, summer came along, and it was, well, a usual summer for the most part. Full of relaxation and swimming, cold drinks and ice cream, and plenty of Skype calls and video games together. I had been searching for and applying to jobs, keeping my fingers crossed that someone woulc call me for an interview. But the final week of July, something happened that the two of us weren't prepared for. My S/O's father passed away, and that was really hard. I wish I could've been there for him and his family, but unfortunately I couldn't. But, I talked to him as much as I could, and helped as much as possible in those hard times. Him and the family went to their father's house to clean things up and sign some paperwork, and to plan the funeral. Once all of that was out of the way, the healing could start. Everyone seems to be doing well, so that's a plus. I just hate that I couldn't be there to help.

As of right now? Everything's going smoothly with us. We still chat, whether that be through Facebook, Skype, or Viber. We still play video games together, and we watch TV shows and Movies together though a great website called Rabbitcast, or simply Rabbit. And we could not be happier! There aren't any problems between us. We've never had an argument, however there were times when we've snapped at each other a total of three times, I believe, over almost two years (over silly things, mainly video games.) What does the future hold for us? Well, since the early part of the year, we had been planning on spending a month together, just to see how living together over a long period of time will work out. And, I'm happy to say that December 27th-January 21st will be that month long time period. Yes, it's not exactly a month, but it is a long enough time period! My S/O had decided that as a Christmas gift for us both that he'll pay for my plane ticket with half of his tax return, and I'll be paying for my train tickets and hotel room. The catch? We're not going to get much of anything else from each other. But you know what? I can't think of any greater gift than to see my love for the New Year!

TL;DR version: My S/O and I have been dating since February 2014 and we met through a mutual friend while roleplaying on Tumblr in the Team Fortess universe. We were friends for about 5-6 months before we asked each other to be partners, we were in a relationship for 6 months before we met face to face for two weeks, I went off to college, there was some jealousy here and there, we met again for spring break, my S/O helped me through my father getting a hip replacement surgery, I helped him through the death of his father and the funeral, and we're planning on spending time together again from December 27th-January 21st
    Last edited by AJG96; September 6, 2015, 10:51 PM.
    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

Such a great story! All the best to you both

Comment

I helped get my SO a job and now hes an asshole. Hopefully your true love doesn't end up like mine.

Comment

That is one cute story.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X