The German and The Texan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The German and The Texan

This story will be long but will be worth reading if you will take the time.

My girlfriend and I met on January 19th which was a few days after my 17th birthday. She was a foreign exchange student coming over from Germany to study for 6 months. The school counselor called me up to the front office one day and when I showed up, she was standing there wearing all black and she was as pale as a piece of paper. (I had no idea that where she came from, they hardly ever saw the sun and that her luggage was lost and that was all the clean clothes that she had). I immediately thought she was Gothic and in my younger years thought that they were bad people. The counselor asked me if I would show her around the school and help her find her classes and of course I said yes. We started walking down the hallways and I asked her what her name was and she said Wiebke (said like Veebkuh). I said WHAT?! Okay. Your new name will be Vee and she agreed. We ended up spending a lot of time together the first few weeks because her host family were not very attentive to her needs. I ended up bringing her food every evening and picking her up for school every morning because of the area she was living in. We had a very strong friendship built up over the next 3 weeks. She nearly broke my heart when she told me that she wanted to go back to Germany because she was unhappy with the living situation. I ran to my parents and begged for them to let her stay with us and they said yes and she moved in.

Over the next 6 months, we became closer every day until she became the person that I could trust with everything. Of course there was a language barrier at first but just talking to her every day helped to teach her better English and I was also learning a small amount of German. Her parents sent an email to my parents asking if they could pay for a plane ticket for me to come visit them in Germany as a thank you for helping their daughter. I was very excited but my parents weren't too thrilled about the idea since I was only 17 years old but they let me go. Two days before we were leaving for Germany together, we were laying in bed watching a movie when she leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. I thought well okay. Germans kiss people often. No problem. A few minutes later she came back and kissed me on the side of my lips. Then I was still trying to make excuses as to why that was okay but I was a little nervous. A few minutes later she came back and kissed me on the lips. She made out with me for a full minute while I just sat there and did nothing. I did not kiss her back. I was terrified because I was not gay and I didn't know that she was and also that was very against my religion. The next day went just as normal as any other day and that night, she came back and did the same thing again but this time, I kissed her back. Once you kiss a German, you never look back. We kissed for a long time that night and the next day we flew to Germany together. We kissed the whole flight over there which is a 9 hour flight. I spent the next 5 weeks in Germany with her and then I had to fly back. I cried for a month solid because she was not next to me. I couldn't sleep and I couldn't function in my daily life the way that I used to. She was able to fly to me that next Christmas and visit. I cried when I saw her because I was so excited to see her. My parents were never to know about this though because they would go insane. We kept it a secret for over a year until my parents found out. Vee was visiting me 2 weeks before I was leaving for college and a friend of my parents found my cell phone and read my text messages and of course told my parents about her findings. My parents immediately sent her back and I was in hell for the next 2 weeks. My mom stripped everything from my room and took everything that I had gotten in Germany away from me and she told me that she burned everything. I was locked up in my room with nothing but paper and a pen. My tv was gone and of course my cell phone was gone. My car was taken away and the house phone was turned off. They took all of the cords out of our house computer so I couldn't use it. They didn't look at me or talk to me. Vee thought that they had killed me because she received nothing from me saying that I was okay. Two weeks later, my parents dropped me off at college with nothing said but "you better end this relationship by Christmas or we will cut you off from the family. no more college fund." I cried and cried and cried. I didn't know what to do. By the time I got to college, I lost so much weight that I weighed a whopping 83 pounds when I normally weighed 110. I was so stressed out by the situation that even my teachers were worried about me. I contacted Vee when I got to college and told her what had happened and she offered to let me go for my sake but I told her that that would devastate me even more. We ended up staying together and my mom asked me at Christmas if we were still together and I said yes. My mom cried and said nothing. I went on the next years not saying anything about my relationship and no one asked.

My relationship with my love is still going strong after 4 years and 5 months. We are very much in love and she will be moving here in around 6 months. It was definitely worth waiting for and I would do it all again if it meant in the end, I would be with her. The relationship between me and my parents will never be the same. They still do not want to talk about her or even see her. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Of course I left some of the details of the pain I endured out because it is just too much for me to handle right now. Thinking about what I went through during that time is very emotional for me and sometimes hard to believe even happened.

I come from a very conservative town, and I know of one friend in particular that went through a similar thing. My own aunt was first disowned by my grandparents when she came out to them over thirty years ago, but today they couldn't be more accepting and proud of her.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. And stay strong. Things can change. But even if they don't, it's out of your control. You have to take of yourself before anyone else.

Comment

Hey I'm in the same situation, only that I was the exchange student any m boyfriend the American Haha and I know from experience that the name "Wiebke" is very hard to say for Americans (my best friend's name is Wiebke, too and my SO never managed to say her name correctly )...
      I like your story and I'm crossing my fingers for you too, that you will make it ....good luck, I hope your parents will open up to this realtionship a little more, it's sad that they don't support your love
      and welcome in this forum

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope that with time your parents will accept your love.

Comment

I loved your story. I hope your parents will learn to accept your relationship

Comment

Wow, what a story! Actually brought tears to my eyes... such a sweet, but sad story. Thanks for sharing it I'm glad that you didn't end the relationship just because your parents wanted you to! (My mom hates my boyfriend and I know she'd be glad to see us split up, but my strong feelings for him and vice versa, keep us going) Don't give up for anyone. Good luck with your relationship and maybe someday your family will accept your relationship down the road. Also, welcome to the forum!

Comment

Wow

Wow! I don't even know what to say. I have never found this many people that were accepting of my relationship with Vee. Even after almost 4 and a half years. Thank you all so much for your sweet words. You have no idea what that means to me. THANK YOU!

Comment

I just had to say this but you're truly a good hearted person I don't know many HS students at your age that would actually bring someone food every evening and pick her up from school! That shows true character which is rare to find in a person. Also I had bad experiences with the goths for a goth people to be so whiny and emo about them being judged they're usually the ones that does the most judging and push everyone away I call them hypocrites! But I'm glad everything turned out well between you and your girl!

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story!!

Comment

What a story! Thank you for sharing. I do hope your parents come to accept your relationship one day.
                    LFAD Book Challenge: 4/25 Complete
                    Currently Reading: Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo (219/1463 pages read)
                    Total Pages Read This Year: 3283

Comment

Working...
                    X