Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Distance to Long Distance - Tom and Lissie

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to take a few minutes and share our story. Lissie and I have been dating since July of 2010. We met at a bar Called McCues in Keene, NH while Lissie was visiting the area and learning how to be a better English Tutor at a local college. I felt drawn to her instantly and knew that I couldn't let her slip away into the dance floor darkness no matter what.

We exchanged numbers and agreed that we should go to the Boston Museum of Science on our very first date. It was a great time for both of us, and didn't cost a thing since her family had purchased a membership to the museum that year for the Harry Potter exhibit. We had a blast, and decided to visit a night club in her home town of Worcester, MA later that night. That was also a blast. I slept on the couch in her living room that night, but didn't do much sleeping. I was tossing and turning, thinking about the great day and night I had with Lissie.

Our relationship, due to a 1 hour distance and each of us having our own lives, became an every weekend endeavorer . We spent each weekend together, with our bond only getting stronger with each date. In September of 2010, I received some difficult news that I would be losing my job. Given my age and my focus on my career, I began to send my resume everywhere. I found a job in North Carolina, and decided to take it. Lissie drove me down with some of my things and I started my new position on September 20th.

Now that 700 miles separate us, our relationship has become more difficult. We have had some disagreements and arguments, and often get frustrated with the distance. We are fine when we are together, but sometimes fight (mostly out of frustration) when we are apart. We talk on the phone, text, and Skype whenever our schedules permit. Another thing we could do, we decided, was start a blog. Blogging has helped us stay closer through the distance, remember our happiest times, and write about our long distance relationship and how we can prevent it from wearing on us.

We have established a series of long distance relationship rules to help maintain sanity despite the distance. One of the most important rules we have is to Be Flexible. This is especially important for us because of our flexible schedules. Fortunately, we have been able to maintain the flexibility through even the longest periods of separation.

If you are interested in reading more about us and our adventures, visit our blog, The Adventures of Tom and Lissie. I hope we inspire all of you to laugh and smile as much as we do!

That's such a good idea! I think with texting and skyping theres that anxiety and pressure to repsond right away, so for couples that are always busy the blog thing would be excellent, because you can just update whenever. Sounds fun too!

Comment

Working...
    X