penguins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

penguins

Last year i was lucky enough to go on an exchange in the US. I made friends, started a relationship that didn't last more than three months, had the time of my life. By May, there where only 57 more days left until i had to go back to italy, and that's when i met my love, the "popular kid" of my high school, the kind of boy i thought i'd never get the courage to talk to. He liked me, we started dating, i was on cloud nine. i fell for him, hard, and quick, and found myself soon after, in tears, having to say goodbye to him at the airport.
    we broke up, because, well, italy is 9,000 miles away, i had to go back to high school, he had college, and we thought long distance wouldn't be fair on either of us.
    we kept in contact on skype, once every other day, then once a day, then twice a day, until we got to the point where we just realized how we couldn't want anyone else but each other.
    i visited him last christmas, and gave him a bracelet with a golden penguin on it, because i had heard somewhere that there are some penguins who choose their soulmate and never "cheat" on them, no matter how long they are away from each other. well he's my penguin, and as naive as it may sound, he's "the one".
    he came to visit me in italy for his spring break, and i'll be going back to the US for two months in 113 days (but who's counting).
    so many people laugh at me for my "childish views on love", but at least my parents support our relationship, they've been buying my tickets and so on.
    i've come to believe that long distance relationships work and don't work. they are just like any relationship, just a bit harder, but if you're in and ldr with "mr/mrs right", then things are going to work out when they are meant to be.

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Welcome to LFAD that's a really cute story! I also love that penguins mate for life, and also tbat the male penguin cares for the egg before it hatches
    Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
    And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
    ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Welcome! That is a really cute story.
      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
      Made it official: September 17, 2010
      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
      Got married: November 21, 2012
      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Oh that's so cute! You title totally got me to read the post haha but that's very unique, I've never heard of that before! Welcome to LFAD! We're so happy to have you on board our community!

Comment

march of the penguins!! i found it soooo remarkable that they are monogamous!! even after traveling for so long (long distance) jaja. SOOO cute!! welcome!!

Comment

That's so sweet I call my SO "my penguin" too, soul-mates welcome to LFAD, there's a great bunch of supportive people on here

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Aaaw thats so cute! Welcome to the club!

Comment

wow, what a cute story ..

Comment

Aw, I love penguins. Glad to hear your parents are very supportive of your relationship. ^^
                  "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
                  a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
                  which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
                  - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
                  regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
                  The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
                  - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

Thank you all for the welcome, it made me so happy to see that i'm actually not that weird for having a long distance relationship after all.
                    I've seen you are such a strong support group already, but bare in mind that if you ever need to talk or anything, you can count on me too.
                    Good luck to you all

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X