Before the military life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before the military life...

My name is Meagan and I’m sixteen years old and I’ve already found a love that I never imagined at this age. My fiance, Mac, and I knew each other for four years before we started dating. I lived literally across the street from him for three of those years too. He is two years older than me so we weren’t around each other all the time but he and I had the same friends so we knew about each other and happened to hang out occasionally with the same crowd. He was a senior and I was a sophomore. I was also friends with his brother for a long time so I knew his family pretty well. Mac and I started talking more because a friend of mine had a crush on him but she was too shy to hang out with him by herself so I was her tag along. She decided she liked someone else but Mac and I continued talking and seeing each other more often. One day I was at the mall with my friend, Bryan, and he was talking to a Marine Corps recruiter. He wasn’t done with his meeting yet but I needed to get home, to my luck Mac and his mom walked in the office door. Mac was already enlisted in DEP, the Delayed Entry Program; he was enlisted in the United States Marine Corps at seventeen and was just waiting to graduate high school to leave for boot camp. He was just checking up with a recruiter really quick and then they were headed home, but his mom offered me a ride because she knew I really needed to leave. We were on the way back and Mac was flirting with me the entire time. He kept reclining his seat back so far that it was practically on top of my legs. His mom, Karra, had to stop by the car dealership and pick up something so it was just Mac and I in the car waiting. He continued with the chair so I jumped out of the seat and sat on the floor between the front and back seat, he looked down at me and I looked up at him and our eyes just clicked. It felt like time stopped and it was just he and I in the moment. (Mac and I know call that The Look.) That night he and I were talking over the internet so I purposely typed on my status that I was going to go on a walk and wondered who wanted to go with me. Since we were talking and he lived across the street from me, I knew he would see it and want to join. So he met me outside and we started to walk. I honestly cannot say what we even talked about and neither can he because it wasn’t even important, just mediocre small talk. I will admit though, I wanted him to just grab my hand more than anything... But he didn’t and I was really disappointed. We ended up trailing over to the park that we live by and we both laid in the middle of the field. He placed his head on my stomach; it made me more nervous than I have been in a long time. We were staring up at the stars for a long while. He pointed to the brightest one out there and said “Boom,” he explained to me that star will blow up fifty years from that day because it takes that long for us to be able to see it happen since its so far away. The next night we walked as well and went to the same park but we laid on the jungle gym this time. I had my head on his chest the second time and I almost fell asleep because I was so relax and calm just being with him. Before I knew it, it was time to head home so I leaned up and turned to him and he did the same to me. We were face to face, he leaned closer into me and I followed. We nuzzled noses for a little bit because I think we were both a little nervous for it to actually happen since we have known each other for so long. I don’t remember who pushed the final bit, but whoever did started the kiss that created the best relationship I have ever been in. In the following days he asked me to the homecoming dance at our high school and a week after our first walk he asked me to be his girlfriend. I never let him live it down how he asked me, “Will you like go out with me or be my girlfriend or whatever the kids say these days.” It was original and cute because he was so nervous. I fell in love with Mac very quickly but before we knew it, it was 8 months into our relationship and he was graduated from high school and leaving for Marine Corps boot camp. He left the day before my sixteenth birthday and it was the hardest thing I ever had to go through. I wrote him every day and he wrote me as much as he could. Every letter brought tears to my eyes but made us stronger and stronger. He and I made it through the three months apart and I went to California with his family to see him graduate. The second he was released I jumped into his and I have never been a part of a tighter hug than I was then. After boot camp he had ten days of leave and during those days my mom let him move in with us and he even asked her if he could propose to me! At sixteen I was engaged to a United States Marine, how many people could say that? After his leave was up he went back to California for four months of more training. I visited him as much as I could but the distance really hurts us sometimes. He is now in California and I am in Arizona. He comes home when he can but his training sometimes makes that very difficult. We go months at a time without seeing each other at all and at the age of seventeen and in high school it is definitely not easy. Mac is to be deploying to Afghanistan the summer of 2012 and I’m extremely terrified to be married at eighteen to a man who is deployed because anything can happen. I have faith in him and his training that he will stay safe and strong and he has faith in me that I will stay committed to him and this relationship and be here for him when he comes home. Sometimes I do get lonely and just wish I could be normal and have a normal life and relationship where I see my boyfriend every day, but I can’t see myself with anyone but Mac because I love him with all my heart. He and I have been through so much together, more than I could simply type over the internet, and we made each other the people we are today. I have hope in our relationship that we will make it through the struggles it takes to be in a military relationship, especially as a teenager.

What a cute story! And I can definitely relate to you, I'm also 17 living in Arizona and my SO was a Navy Seal for 2 years, I know you guys can make it through anything as long as you try your hardest, I wish you both luck. ^^

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
    X