Never thought it'd actually happen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never thought it'd actually happen!

I was frustrated with my life in Canada, so I decided that after finishing my fourth year at university that I'd go with my lifelong dream and move to Ireland. For the year leading up to my move, I constantly joked about meeting a nice Irish boy and not coming back to Canada... ironic haha.
    I got a one year working holiday visa and moved to Cork. I met this crazy group of guys who were all lovely and intelligent and hilarious. I didn't really hit it off with any of them in a romantic way, and I just decided instead of worrying at all about meeting someone, I'd just have fun and enjoy myself.
    So, New Years Eve, 2009, I was at a party at a friend of my friends', and shortly after I arrived, this cute new guy showed up, and I realised I'd heard many stories about this Loic. I had never met him, as he was studying in Dublin. He and I spent most of the night talking and hitting it off, and in a move that was completely out of character for me, I had him stay the night at my place, haha.
    He and I kept in touch over the next couple of months, often just missing the other as we were back and forth between Cork and Dublin. But on March 18, the morning after I'd missed seeing him in Dublin, he texted me saying he'd be in Cork for the weekend to celebrate his birthday. And what do you know, it was my birthday the same day! We made an effort to celebrate together, and I started realising my interest in him had grown exponentially! He had to head back to Dublin to finish his exams and graduate, and I went crazy for 5 weeks wondering what he was thinking.

So, May 22, he moved back to Cork for the summer. From then on, we were inseparable, and I knew I was falling very hard for him! We had about 7 weeks together, but we had both booked separate trips for the summer before we got together, mine fulfilling a dream to backpack around Europe for July and August, and his, going to visit his close friends in San Francisco. It was heartbreaking to leave, and we said we didn't want to do long distance, but to keep in touch until we'd be closer. He told me he loved me, I said it back, and I got on a bus to Belfast.

5 weeks of panicking and jealousy and paranoia ensued!

Well, we survived the summer, had amazing times, and two weeks before he got back to Ireland, my visa expired, and I had to return home.

He came to visit me in November, and we decided that since we were talking daily, not seeing anyone else and completely in love, we'd just stop being silly and say we were in a relationship!
    I visited him in Dublin since then, and in about 5 months, I will be moving to Edinburgh, as was my plan even before I met him! We will still be doing long distance then, for about 7 months more, but after getting to see each other 3 times a year, I can handle that!

The big end in sight is in about a year from now, when he finishes his actuary exams and can end his work contract. He's planning to move to the UK for a new job, and I will move wherever he decides to work then!

Sorry that was long and rambly, but Loic would say if it isn't, it's not me!!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

That's a lovely story!
    Very happy for you keep us all updated!

Comment

That's a lovely story!
      Very happy for you keep us all updated!

Comment

aww that is a lovely story! good luck with your LDR

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Such a cute story! You guys seem like a happy couple!

Comment

Thanks I'm incredibly excited about him, can't wait to close the gap!!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
            Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

What a great story! It's amazing how the world works sometimes...you say you'll just keep in touch, and then, all of a sudden you find yourselves in love. I wish you luck in your relationship, and hope it all leads up to the ultimate end of marriage. :-)
              National Novel Writing Month Participant- 2010, 2011, 2012
              National Novel Writing Month Winner- 2010, 2011, 2012

Current Writing Project: Wait Until Next Year

Comment

Working...
              X