Military: it's certainly not easy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military: it's certainly not easy...

New to the forum, and figured I'd start by sharing our story.

John and I originally met in high school, and though it's uncommon for those relationships to actually last, we've been together for a year and two months. Things were strained for us, as we lived a decent distance apart, and neither had a vehicle of our own, so seeing each other, despite being only 20 minutes drive apart, was a little difficult. We managed, though, even becoming engaged.

Roughly July of last year, I swore into the Delayed Entry Program [DEP] for the Air Force. John was already sworn into the same, except for the Marine Corps, and we were originally slotted to ship out to basic training at about the same time, albeit a month apart. He ended up being delayed due to running injuries sustained, whereas I departed for Lackland AFB in December '10 for basic training as scheduled. For those two months, we maintained our relationship through a steady flow of letters. Upon my graduation [he surprised me by showing, even though he'd written in one of his letters that he wasn't sure he would be able to], I discovered that I was to remain in Lackland for administrative reasons. Instead of leaving for my job school on Valentine's Day [the Monday following my basic graduation], I was stuck in Lackland with limited phone access until 21 Mar-- the same day that John was rescheduled to ship out for USMC boot camp.

The day he shipped, I have to admit, I cried myself to sleep that night. Not only was I in a whole new world in Florida, where my school was located, but he would also not be able to speak to me until he was done with training. We continued the letters, and while he trained, I did everything in my power to get cleared to go on leave for his graduation in June. At the last second, I was approved for leave. Plane tickets were bought, bags were packed, and I was on my way to Parris Island, SC. He was certainly surprised, especially when I got to spend the weekend with him. During that weekend, we planned to see each other the following weekend before he left for the second part of his training-- Marine Combat Training [MCT].

The following weekend's adventure went off without a hitch; he drove down to Florida from central Georgia and spent the weekend with me. But that Sunday night, long after he'd left, my heart hurt. During MCT, phone usage would be limited to weekend calls, but that was dependent upon the instructors' choice. That month was probably the hardest out of the four months he'd been gone for, as they didn't get phones until the Saturday before they left. Mail left from Florida, but nothing was received, and I of course grew worried, until that final Saturday, when I stared in disbelief for a moment at a text message that popped up on my screen, that he was going to be doing the USMC-equivalent to my job in the Air Force, and that he was headed to where I had just left for his job school.

Long story short: John and I have been set against the odds from the start, but despite that, we remain stronger than ever. High school relationships? We're breaking that stereotype. Different military branches? Not gonna stop us. Lack of direct contact, even through phone? Can't tear us apart.

I'm just glad to hear his voice again, finally! <3

~Brittany~

Welcome..preaching to the choir. Me and my now husband are both in the Army. Me Active duty him national guard. we met at training and its been long distance ever since (especcially now he is in Iraq) . Glad everything is going well for you guys and I wish you the best of luck!
    " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
    Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

I think military LDRs are even more challenging because there is so much more to a military LDR than to a "regular" LDR. The stress, the risk (when deployed in dangerous areas), the bigger lack of communication, etc. And this is why I really have respect for those who are in military LDRs and are going through all this. Good luck to both of you and may God have you in his care

Comment

Working...
      X