Here's looking at you, kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's looking at you, kid.

Our story is essentially your garden variety holiday romance that just kept going. And going. And going.

On a trip to the Big Apple with a bunch of my friends, I met my SO at a bar and ended up having a discussion with him about Casablanca - his favourite film ("a classic American movie"), and one I've never seen. It led on to a heated debate about the differences between American and British culture. Both of us asserted our own culture was superior, and neither of us was prepared to back down. Thankfully, as the argument continued into the night, and the beer kept flowing, we had sense enough to notice that alongside the rivalry, we also kind of fancied each other. And that's where the whole mess started.

As he eloquently puts it, we hooked up, and after a week and a half of brief encounters with him, I returned home with an email address and not much thought to ever seeing him again.

The infrequent, idle emails of one or two lines turned into daily novels, which then turned into telephone calls, and culminated in far too many evenings spent chatting until the early hours on Skype. Ultimately, we both surrendered. We had been conquered by a rival nation. I'm fairly certain if he could plant an American flag on my bum, he would.

I date the beginning of our relationship from when we said our "I love yous", which was in Spring 2010. He dates it from when we met, which was Autumn 2009.

Yeah, we still haven't stopped arguing.

It will be an ongoing debate - me and my SO (I'm British, hes American too) havnt stopped since Jan 2010 about which is better!

Cute story - welcome to LFAD! Even though you've been here a couple months already
    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Hahahaha, I'm glad to see we're not the only ones. It's all fun and games until he starts poking fun at 'soccer' being a game for girls. Tch, the cheek.

Comment

aww that was funny to read, i was conquered by an american, i never thought it would happen

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

The opposites attract each other. Living proof in your case haha.

Comment

Joyce - they are disarmingly charming, those dastardly Americans!

Lina - yes, it permeates our whole relationship. We have been known to duet 'Opposites Attract' by Paula Abdul on occasion. At least we have AWFUL taste in music in common.

Thanks all for your nice comments.

Comment

Working...
            X