The Wrong One.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wrong One.

Fifth grade- My clique of friends is broken apart because of a fight between two girls. Rosey and me decided to completely disassociate ourselves from them until it was over, so we played with a ball out on the playground. Then out of nowhere this short kid with pale skin and jet black fuzzy hair comes up to us and asks politely if he can play with us. Of course we let him and none of us talked much but we all had fun that day. His name was Tj, and after fifth grade, he moved back to where he came from. I never got to talk to him, even though he left an impression big enough to give me my first serious crush.

Ninth grade- Six unfulfilled crushes behind me, and one date with someone who was really better off being my big brother. I was never the thinnest girl in the group, that was for sure, I was a bit overweight as a child but as I grew up and got taller, my baby fat turned into curves. I was still not what the teenage boys wanted, but dress me up like an adult, and put me in an office and I was a woman. Still nothing came my way and for a romantic at heart it was a very depressing and boring time. My heart is about to give up, it's the second half of my freshman year and I did not feel like having anymore heart break. I entered my English class ready to read Romeo and Juliet, but Mr. Renaux had an announcement. A new kid. "Class this is Thomas." The eyes on this kid had a familiar jolt in them, a past life maybe we knew each other.

The rest of the class ignored him and he went back to the seat designated to him. It was in the back across the room from me, I got up and went to welcome him. He seemed like a nice enough guy and no one deserves to just be ignored by a chattering class on their first day of school. I introduced myself and he told me he didnt like being called Thomas and that I could call him Tj. The alarms in my head were freaking out. "I'm sorry, but did you go to elementary school in this district?" I asked. he said yes and I was in shock. "WE PLAYED TOGETHER ON THE PLAYGROUND!" I was so excited hoping he'd remember me, and we could reminisce about the old school. He told me plainly that he had no recollection of me whatsoever. That was when I decided we would be great friends.

He apparently had other plans. He was desperate for a girlfriend, he asked out my best friend and got turned down and the next week he asked me. I didn't want to hurt him but it felt wrong. We were great friends and I felt connected to him for sure, but I still wasn't too keen on another heart break. I decided that he was someone I could trust and I took a leap of faith. The third day of our relationship I was at my sisters play. During intermission I pulled my phone out and saw two messages. One was Tj the other an unknown number. I read Tj's first. It was someone using his phone. They said "Hi, I'm Tj's friend Amy." The message from the other number was similar, "Hi, I'm Josh, Tj's friend."

I told both I was at my sisters play and was sorry but I couldnt talk long. Amy said it was nice to meet me Josh told me to text him when I could. When the play was over we took my big sis out to celebrate her performance. When we got home I went to my room and sat staring out the window as I messaged Tj and Josh. Tj didn't respond for a while but Josh immediately began asking me about everything. I joked with him told him about myself, asked about him and in general just let my guard down to get to know him, after all this was the best friend of my boyfriend. Tj eventually got to talking to me and he joked "you're supposed to be flirting with me not him" I teased back in text but in my head I wondered, "am I flirting with Josh?" I broke up with Tj the next Monday because he felt more like a brother than a lover and I really wasn't ready for the kind of relationship he wanted. I assumed that Josh hated me and I went on in my life.

One week later- "Hey." was all the message said. What should I say back I wondered, he should hate me.. "Don't you hate me?" I responded. Josh replied immediately "No. Why would I you're a sweet girl." Without my heads permission my heart fluttered. I said, "I just broke up with your best friend. He told me he imagined I had a good reason. I explained my reasoning and he told me I did the right thing.

Two weeks later- I was at a party and texting Josh. "THEY HAVE CHERRIES!" I said excitedly thinking about my favorite fruit. "Lol thats good?" He responded
    "Yes that is very good!"
    "Why? lol"
    "Because cherries are very good! My mom used to give me money to go buy them from a truck when we went to the beach when I was little"
    "Haha that's cute"
    " yeah sure lol"
    "Can you tie a cherry stem with your tongue?"
    "I never tried Why"
    "if you can, it means you're a good kisser."
    "Oh ill try"
    "Bet you can't"
    "Butthead "
    "Haha I can do it."
    "There did it!"
    "Really? Well guess that means you're worth kissing."
    I blushed, I was talking about kissing with a guy that I'd never met. But he was really fun and I didn't want to stop.
    Later on I had a second party to go to.
    "Do you ever stop partying?"
    "this is actually unusual for me"
    "Suuuuure it is, I bet you're a wildchild with partying. lol"
    "No im an honors student who got invited to several different events in one day "
    We kept talking late into the night. I was sitting around the fire with the other girls at the sleepover when he told me.
    "Sarina. Can I tell you something?"
    "Of course Josh."
    "I really like you." thinking nothing of it I responded
    "I really like you too."
    "No, I mean, Sarina, I am falling for you fast." I blushed and the girls around me noticed my change in behavior. They started asking about him, telling me to go for it, asking if he was hot, everything girls do when their friends have boy stuff going on.
    I dug into my heart and told him the truth.
    "Im scared. But I like you too. Youre really sweet but weve never met."
    "I swear I'll change that someday. I'll do anything for you, Sarina."
    " Really?"
    "Always."

Last day of Freshman year June 15th 2009- "Another party?"
    "Yes "
    "But, I wanna talk to you more."
    "you know I always text anyway."
    "Yeah, but you said this place doesn't have good service."
    "It doesnt but Ill try anyway."
    "Okay "
    "Aww Joshy don't be sad."