Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The story of how we met, ended the distance, & married in less than a year... Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story of how we met, ended the distance, & married in less than a year... Part 2

Not long after, I received a text that read:

You were Everything I imagined and more.. I feel so Blessed to have you in my life and wouldn’t trade that for anything…I’m falling for you

My heart stopped. I don’t think I have ever heard anything more beautiful, and somehow I managed to reply with:

Reading that was like reading my own thoughts and feelings for you…Aaron, I’m falling for you too.
    So thank you for being in my life and making me as happy as you do =)

From there, our text conversation continued, him telling me that not long ago he had realized fate had brought us together to fulfill God’s plan, and it was scary to think that a click of the mouse had started it all…He thanked me again for the oil painting so enthusiastically. It was a beautiful end to our first visit. After he got home, we talked for about twenty minutes, and he assured me that he had meant everything he had said, and would do whatever it takes to make it work.

On November 11th, he sent me a poem he had written me that he had wanted to recite to me in person during my visit, but he couldn’t wait that long. I can honestly say it was the best gift I had ever received. On December 11th, I woke early and my dad drove me to meet my friend Sarah and her husband, Brett. I rode with them to Roanoke, VA where I boarded a Greyhound bus bound for Charlotte, NC. After Aaron met me at the station, we hugged and kissed, and headed for the door. An elderly black man stopped us, asking for money and hinting about a ride, so Aaron gave him five dollars. We were nearly to the door when the man asked, “Is she your wife?”
    My heart did the strangest thing when he said, “I wish.”

After hours of driving, and going to a restaurant to eat, he then asked me if I was ready to meet his family, and I felt my heart drop to my stomach. Getting out of the car, I stared at his house for a moment, already I could hear the dogs barking, and he took my hand. Together we walked in, and his mom was there to greet us. Nancy hugged me and put me instantly at ease and not five minutes later, she high-fived Aaron, and told him what a good job he had done, that I was great. I already knew Brandon, so that made it easier. Anna seemed sweet and a little shy at first, but talked with me a little. His dad, Randy, was nice and while we talked easily, I didn’t feel as instantly close to him as I did to Nancy. Aaron assured me that I would meet his elder brother, Andrew, sometime during my visit.

Aaron showed me his room, and on his dresser, I saw my painting. I smiled. As we lay in bed that night, kissing, he looked into my eyes and said, “Kaitlin, I love you.” It was the most perfect moment of my life, and I was surprised that I was able to get the words “I love you too” out. On the 13th, we drove to Jacksonville to see his brother Andrew. We stayed the night, and spent the next day at Topsail. We walked along, collecting shells, and holding hands. He wrote and drew in the sand for me--a heart struck by an arrow with “ACL + KEH” at its center. We drove back to his house, and on the way there, we stopped by where he worked. It was nice to put a place to a name.

Back at his house, I gave him an ancient Roman soldier’s ring from my personal collection. He was completely blown away, especially when I told him it was 1,900 years old. He gave me one of his old racing jerseys and a pillow--both of which he sprinkled with his cologne. That night was incredible, and we talked about our future, how amazing our life together was going to be. It was almost surreal. We had a great time together on that visit, and I even got two extra days with him and his family. My family flipped about that, but it was worth it.

The one day that Aaron had to work, Nancy and I spent together. We watched a movie, went to Anna’s play, and talked. She told me how she thought we were just awesome together, and that I’m just what he needed. Anna and Nancy went on about
    how much he had changed for the better since he met me, and so many other heartwarming, encouraging things. Nancy was all excited, because she knew we had found something special. She laughingly told me before we left for WV that she was going to go ahead and start planning the wedding. Aaron told me how he had never seen his parents so happy or excited to meet someone in his life.

Aaron drove me home on the 16th, and we went out to eat with my family. We were so excited for him to finally meet them--even though I had shared with him the difficult truth of how my family could be on the drive--and Aaron wanted them to know his intentions. I was a bit nervous for them to meet, but they loved him! That was a super big deal since my parents and sisters aren’t easily swayed. He liked them too, and went on about how smart and cool my dad was, how sweet and funny my mom was, and how my sisters were just fantastic.

On the way to WV, we had also tweaked our original plan of waiting four or more years to settle down, and talked about aiming for me to finish my associate’s that Spring, so that we could start school together in Charlotte where we would get a place and engaged. We missed each other terribly, and it was so hard the first night to fall asleep that first night without his arms around me. One night, I bolted upright in bed and was in a panic looking for him before I woke fully and realized he wasn’t there…On the 19th, while I was working at the children’s shelter and he was at a sports bar on post with his dad and Brandon watching the Cowboys game, Aaron and I were texting. He suggested we abandon our plan for something much sooner:

I am not trying to pressure you, or force you in any way…but I really need to be with you all the time, and wake up with you every day.

I wanted that so badly too, and while I texted him, I texted also Sarah who would have no problem telling me if I had lost my mind. She supported me all the way, and I knew somehow, some way we would be together soon. Aaron talked about coming up for Christmas, but that didn’t work out, but he did come the 27th. My parents were still being difficult, so I told them I was staying with a friend and met him at the inn. Aaron and I had a wonderful time together, and to hold and kiss him again was like a dream come true. That night we exchanged gifts--well, kind of. One of his gifts hadn’t arrived yet due to the storms and the other was a last minute project and wasn’t yet finished. I showed it to him anyway, and he was touched deeply by the metal book of memories and photos I had made him. For me, he had two huge stretched canvases, new brushes and oil paints, a 5-CD “mixed tape” of songs that reminded him of me and our relationship, a sweet handwritten “card,” and a new poem!

It meant so much to me that he put so much thought and care into my present. We talked about our dreams far into the night, and more about our plan to be together as soon as possible. We checked out of the hotel and went to the rock where we had our first kiss. We planned to go out to it, but it was too cold, so we sat in his truck at the start of the trail. It gave us time together to talk. He asked me to come back with him, and while I wanted to and knew I wouldn’t regret it, I didn’t want to hurt my family and let down my kids and co-workers at the shelter. He knew it wasn’t the right time either.

He helped a man having car trouble, and then I took him to my favorite out-of-town restaurant: The Swinging Bridge. The waitress kept smiling at us, likely because it is more than obvious how happy we are together. Aaron and I walked around the grounds, and he commented on the great atmosphere that Paint Bank had, and said he could imagine living in a place like this for a few years at least. On the 29th of December during the first of the many blizzards we had that winter, I got very sick at work and collapsed at the doctor’s office. I worried over Aaron, and tried to put his fears at ease, but I honestly felt like I was dying. The hospital is such a dismal place, and even worse was the storm of eighteen inches that buried everything and shut the state down…I worried that Aaron would attempt to come see me in this mess, but fortunately, he did not. When I was well enough to talk, he told me how upset he had been, how worried. He kept having visions of what it would be like to lose me, and told me in a cracked voice that he couldn’t bear that.

When I got home from the hospital, Aaron had a “care package” waiting for me: Youtube music videos, and a card he had made himself with a photo of flowers and script, “Get well soon, Kaitlin, I love you my angel.” It was the sweetest thing. Due to the storms, and my sickness that seemed to plan on sticking around, I missed so much work, but was able to spend New Years’ Eve with Aaron via the phone. Then, as if things weren’t difficult enough, my Mamaw died on the 3rd of January. My home life hasn’t been the most steady since I was about sixteen, and the hostility is most usually directed at me. This difficult time was no different, and it was terrible…It wasn’t the worst it had ever been, but I could no longer stand the lack of respect and blatant mistreatment, and Aaron could no longer stand to hear of it while he was five hours away, and unable to do anything to prevent it. So, on the 5th, we started planning and I started packing. Around 1 A.M. on the 6th, Aaron and Brandon picked me up and we headed to North Carolina. I was so sure of my decision, yet scared to leave all I had ever known. Then I looked into Aaron’s eyes, and I knew I was safe, that I would always have a home and would always have love.

His family was nothing short of incredible…They took me in, supported me throughout the difficult transition, and made me feel as if I truly belong. It wasn’t always easy, such as when my parents chose to ignore my letter and reported me as missing to the police. I had to call off the State Troopers myself. It’s also been emotionally trying at times with mamaw’s death, and the fact that my sister had cut me out of her life completely. However, I could feel such a difference. I was relaxed, happy, content…I didn’t have to worry about physical or verbal assaults anymore, and I didn’t have to feel bad about being happy, or put myself last all the time, and there would be no more goodbyes between Aaron and me. For the first time, things were on my terms with my family. I chose when I had my first, difficult, talk with my parents via dad. Aaron stood by me the whole way, and held me as I made that difficult call. He counteracted their guilt trips, and listened to me when I needed to talk, and held me when I needed to cry.

Aaron proposed to me several times…On the beach when we went to one of his dad’s Myrtle Beach couples’ retreats, with candy hearts, and once it just kinda slipped out. Practice, he’d say, and practice made perfect on March 29th, 2010 =)
    I expected it, because I had gone ring shopping with him and we bought the perfect ring, and he can’t keep secrets from me (he figures that’s because we’re best friends), but it was perfect…

We walked down Topsail beach in the opposite direction than last time, held hands, and collected shells. For the first time in years, I felt the sand underneath my barefeet, and when we came to a dry circle of sand untouched by the waves, he said, “Kaitlin, I love you. I will never hurt you, and will always protect you. Everyday of my life I will do all I can to make you happy…Will you marry me?”

He then pulled out the ring box, and I opened it to find…my claddagh ring. He had taken it from me on the drive.
    “Are you kidding me?” I asked and playfully punched him in the arm, and laughed harder than I had in a while.
    He then held out my beautiful engagement ring, and I said “Yes! Of course, yes!” And he put it on my finger.

The rest of the day was perfect, and we told his mom first, and then Andrew and Danielle who reacted like a pouty child, and then we called my parents on the way back home…Things had been more civil, so I had no idea what to expect. They flipped out and I ended the call abruptly. To make myself feel better, I asked Kristin and Sarah to be my bridesmaids, and they both said “Yes.” Then we called Aaron’s grandparents, and told them the news. They were so thrilled, and sounded like great people.
    We had been having problems with Anna, problems that resulted in me thinking perhaps I should leave in earlier months, but I was still surprised when she openly refused to toast our engagement that evening. A few days later, I risked rejection and got my sister back, and she even wanted to be Maid of Honor =) so the difficulties lost a great deal of their power…

Aaron and I had a great time in NC…We have learned so much more about each other, went on motorcycle rides, to the beach countless times, out on “real dates,” to the movies twice (“Sherlock Holmes” and “Dear John”), did projects together--painting, airbrushing, drawing, and so on--we surprised each other with things like a “Sherlock Holmes” DVD or the others’ favorite candy or flowers picked from outside, we bought books and read together, we share things with each that we love and “teach other” (I am learned about cars, the piano, and the drums), we took little trips, went to drag races and drives without a planned destination, to three concerts, played games together and even video games like Call of Duty, to a Nascar race where we took part in the flag ceremony, built things together (like our little skeleton Wilson), have bubble wars, wrestled or cuddled depending on our mood, spent our evenings together, and tried to have breakfast together as often as possible--alternating who cooks now that I am learning.

Unfortunately Danielle and Anna had it in for us--Danielle with her mental problems and jealousy (first because she wanted Aaron after she saw how he was with her daughter and then because Andrew wasn't as affectionate with her as Aaron is with me) and Anna because she was no longer the only girl in the house or the center of everyone's attention. It got ugly, so we decided the week of our August 7th wedding that canceling it would be best. We eloped instead with Sarah and Brett as our witnesses and photographers. We put a lot of thought into it, ordered cupcakes in what would have been our wedding colors, wrote our own vows, and bought new outfits. We went to the magistrate where we were legally wed, and then went to Topsail where we had a wonderful beach ceremony. It was simply perfect.

Shortly after that, we moved to my hometown in WV. My parents were acting better, my sisters missed me (and I missed them), the opportunities and jobs were better...It just seemed perfect. Unfortunately it was not. My parents reverted, and the landlady we tried to rent from defaulted on the lease yet is trying to sue us (we have a pretty solid case against her so it should go well), and now we are in the process of planning our move to Wisconsin. We have had a good, bad, jam-packed year and a half and our looking forward to having our own place, and being stress-free. Despite all the negatives, we are so happy together and thankful for how much we have been blessed

Comment

that is one truly amazing story read it. and the whole time reading it all i was in anticipation of what would happen next lol

Comment

This was an amazing story (: Gives me so much hope.. and it's incredible because my boyfriend and I first started dating on the 29th March 2010 <3

Comment

wow such an amazing story

Comment

Thanks, everyone Sorry I haven't responded in a more timely fashion! I have been so busy that I haven't been on LFAD in a long time.

Comment

it sounds similiar to my story with my SO except we are still in the early stages. We meet each other similarly on Facebook and it has been non stop since mind you we have been friends first we both had relationships and then we realised we should try this and we only met each other in November last year and i can wait to see him again. You story is something that we can look towards as inspiration and that it is possible that this can work.

Comment

That's awesome So glad we could inspire you. Wishing you both the best!

Comment

Working...
                X