Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to a long distance relationship

Hey,

My boyfriend and I met in person from a dating site, at the time we lived in the same city. We began exclusively dating each other for the next 5 months. He was semi-open about that fact that he wanted to move home to Canada and was actively applying for jobs in his hometown. We had 5 months together of steady dating when he was offered a job back home and accepted. We had a long discussion about what this mean for our relationship and both separately took our time to think about weather or not we wanted to continue the relationship over the distance. We both came to the conclusion that we had been looking for a relationship like what we had for a while (I'm 31 and his is 29), that it was worth the effort to try the long distance relationship thing. He moved mid June and we've both managed to visit each other (I traveled to him and he traveled to me) in the 6 weeks since he's moved. I know he's never moving back here and if this works out it's on me to make the move. During his last visit I asked how he was feeling about the long distance, you know just wanted to check in. He said it's been tough but is happy with where our relationship is at. A fear we both share is that our weekend visits wont be enough to progress our relationship to the next level. I was worried about this before he even left and didn't mention it until just the other day when I was "checking in".

I feel very strongly about this relationship and also see a lot of potential. I think he does too. I know at some point if we continue with this relationship we will have to spend an extended amount of time together (longer than a weekend visit) to make sure we can co-exist. However, I feel like we were well on our way there before he moved. We'd spend several nights together during the week, cook dinner, hangout and traveled a little together. My question is how do we make sure our relationship progresses over the distance? It would have to be to the point where I would eventually have to move to a new country (ok USA to Canada isn't crazy but still!) Please offer any advice you might have! Thank you!
Working...
X