Support when you least expect it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support when you least expect it!

I am a teacher and last night I got an email from my principal suggesting that we have our advisories (A small group of students given to me, who I am an advisor to) write letters to people in the service for the holidays. Of course I was up for it. The teacher who suggested it gave a bit of why she thought it would be such a great idea....
    "When my husband was away in the Navy, one of the things that kept the soldiers going was the letters from family, friends and even strangers. We can write letters to wounded vets and current service members that will be mailed for free in a giant envelope. Many of these service members will be alone for the holidays and these letters provide them with some much needed comfort. There are some guidelines for writing from students and teachers, but I would also say that if you can tell a story or include a funny joke, that would be well received. Also, although they specifically say no glitter, I am sure some colorful pictures or stickers or drawings would be very festive. No letters can be sealed in envelopes as they will all be screened and they ask that there is no talk of death or politics. "

Of course after reading the whole thing the only part that REALLY REALLY got to me was "When my husband was away in the Navy..."
    So while giving her the letters my 6th graders had written (OH man, so cute!) I mentioned to her in a hushed voice that my boyfriend was in the Navy right now. Not many people know about my relationship, and very few of my colleagues know. Slowly but surely situations are arising where I bring it up but I think that usually I am such an open person and for me this is so... deep and personal and I truly might just think this will work... that I have been hushed.
    Turns out that her boyfriend/now-husband was in the same place that mine is! She told me about not having texting or e-mail in the 80s and how they just hand wrote letters back and forth constantly. I apologized for keeping her and springing my life on her, she said no problem and that she was there if I ever just needed to talk because she knows how hard it can be.
    She and I barely know each other as I am new to the school, so that's the reason for the title of this thread. Sometimes if you reach out, you get something so wonderfully unexpected. (Kind of like a LDR haha!)

So, ever gotten support in this whole thing from someone or something you'd never expect it from?

Met in July 2006
    Dated very briefly in November 2006
    Reconnected in July 2011
    Something changed in August 2013
    He visited in November 2013
    I traveled in November 2013
    I visit in February 2014
Working...
X