Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsure about being a step parent

Hi,

I have been in a long distance relationship for a few years now, I am based in Dublin Ireland and my ldr girlfriend is in Florida. We have met a few times in person, first time for a week, second time for 3 weeks, third time for a week, fourth time for a month and the fifth time for three months. I am in my early 40's and she is in her late 30's. Both of us are very committed, everytime we depart ways its extremely emotional. Due to medical issues this is really my first relationship. She was previously married, however her husband cheated on her, he was bipolar and has since moved off to the west coast of the US. She has full custody to a 16 year old son, who I have really only met for an hour or two on a couple of occasions. Both times it was a bit awkward.

As the relationship has been going on a few years now, there are subtle hints from her that she would like to get engaged and married probably quite soon. There are a couple of issues with this, I am Catholic therefore she would have to go through an annulment process, I have explained this in the past to her but it did not seem to register and she has continued with this line of getting married, with an engagement of 6 months. Secondly, I have spent so little time in the presence of her son that I think it's entirely unreasonable to expect me to get married moving across the Atlantic into an entirely unknown situation living with her and her son. It's something I am uncomfortable with, however she is really sensitive around anything involving her son that I feel uncomfortable bringing this up. Her son has to homeschool next year due to attendance problems.

To remain flexible I am still living with my parents, which is difficult at my age. All my family members have long moved off, as have my friends. We live in a rural environment and it's extremely boring and I am frustrated that my life is on hold for a few years now trying to figure this out. However deep down I have no problem getting engaged at the least, its just being a step parent, crossing the Atlantic to move into a situation which is a complete wild card. It's just a very frustrating situation.

Anyone have an experience of anything similar ?
Working...
X