My First Time Meeting... His Friends!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Time Meeting... His Friends!

If any of you are familiar with our story you'll know that SO and I are from the same hometown; we started out CD, and then he moved to California a little over four years ago. I have never been to visit him out there (strict parents, long story) so I've never had the chance to meet his friends in person. I have had the pleasure of talking to them over Skype or on the phone when they're hanging out, so I do "know" them in the sense of the ice has been broken and I know their personalities.

Two of his friends just got hired on with an airline to be pilots, and as part of their training they will be coming to Atlanta for simulator training for a few weeks. Atlanta is just a two-hour drive from where I live, so while they are in the same state as me, SO will be coming for a visit and we are going down to Atlanta to spend a day with the guys.

I am beyond excited to take this step. As I mentioned earlier, I've never had the chance to visit SO in California. I've never gotten to see the new life he has created out there. There is a whole different side to his world that I've never been included in, well, other than virtually. Meeting these guys is so important to me. I wish I could thank them for all they have done for my SO. Befriending him in a place where he knew no one. Including him in their activities. Introducing him to people in the aviation industry, people that will be vital to helping him build his career. But most of all, I want to thank them for making him not feel so lonely without me. I believe they truly are friends for life, no matter where we may end up because of his career.

I'm nervous! As silly as it sounds, I'm already trying to decide what to wear, what to say, how to act. Sometimes the first impression I give when meeting someone is very standoffish, perhaps making me look stuck-up, only because I do get nervous and I only speak when I'm spoken to so that I don't make a complete idiot out of myself. People take it the wrong way; they think I just don't want to talk to them, like I think I'm better than they are.

For those of you that have met your SO's friends, how can I make sure I make a good first impression? Even though we've talked through Skype or over the phone, I feel like this adds a whole new level to what I hope will be a friendship. They already like my Southern accent, so I have that going for me I just want to make sure they like me, not only for my sake, but for my SO's as well. I want them to want us to be together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Ignore the Newbie status. This is a new account created by a once very active LFAD member and veteran long-distance lover. After several months away from the site, I'm back!
    Old account name: Rach92g
    This Is Us
    Became A Couple: Friday, May 25th, 2007
    Close Distance: May 2007 - June 2010
    Long Distance (Georgia to California): June 2010 - February 2015
    Long Distance (Georgia to Tennessee): February 2015 - Present
    Got Engaged: May 8, 2015
    Closing The Distance: ?
Working...
X