Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having a smart phone plays a role in your LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO and I are in an international LDR, and there's definitely NO WAY that we can live without our smartphones. They are our only source of communication when we're both at work. We use them for the following:

-Viber for text and calls when we're both at home.
    -Skype for video calls (make sure your smartphone has a front camera)
    -Pinger when we text and call outside and he doesn't have Wi-Fi and 3G connection. Pinger is the most awesome app for me, ever. It allows me to text using Wi-Fi to his US AT&T number even when he has no internet connection! He can reply to it too! Pinger gives me a US number so the two of us can text anytime.
    -Whatsapp is also good, but I'm biased to Viber.

So yeah, smartphones are too much help for our relationship! Random text messages for free during the day are helping us updated about each other. Android or iOS smartphones are the best things to buy. They're worth every single penny for me.

Comment

My SO has had a smartphone for 95% of our relationship while I only just got mine in February. Honestly I can't say that it's changed anything, except now the "^^" symbol no longer appears in messages (though is is only to each other for some reason?). We don't use any of those LDR couple apps, it's just too cheesy for him but I do enjoy having the LED indicator light on my phone now I don't need that obnoxious vibrate sound during class time.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Yes.
        We both have iPhones and we use the app kik to message each other constantly.
        Idk how we'd be able to have such fast communication without it!

Comment

While i'm not in a relationship, I do have a lot of international friends (Chile, Canada, China, Barbados, Colombia, Spain, Venezuela, Argentina, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermuda, India etc) having programs like Viber, Skype, Whatsapp, Voxer etc has made communicating with them 100 times easier and faster especially if i need to talk to them about something business or travel wise.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

My SO had a smart phone when we started our LDR but i didnt have one. So his phone bills went so high and we restricted ourselves to skype but with massive power failure in my country that was problemtic too. I bought smart phone this march and And yessss we have waayyy better communication than before.
            I am lovinggg viber i can call him any time even when i am not home using my 3G.
            Couple is also a very goood app we can make sketches and send it each other also we can sketch together.

Comment

I don't have a smart phone and am not too interested in getting one, so no, it's never played any part in our relationship.

In fact, sometimes when we're together I wish he didn't have one. It's like he can't drive anymore without using the GPS, and sometimes we'd be talking and he'd start checking something on the internet and I'd want to smash the damn thing to pieces.
              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

My GF and I readily use our smartphones. It helps a lot because of our large time difference and I'm also out during the day and I don't have consistent access to a computer.

Thank god that you don't date an Estonian 23, they live through their phones and computers .

Comment

I do have a smart phone and even if he doesn't have one it allows me to email him for free and use skype even when I'm not home or can't use a computer. If he had one we could use better apps like Whats App, or Viber, which are pretty useful and handy in a LDR but I'm still content with what we have

Comment

I got a smartphone about a month about starting my relationship (he already had one) and it's made a WORLD of difference.
                    - When he's at work and can't keep checking his phone but can talk through his computer I can talk to him from my phone wherever I am
                    - We use the GPS on our phone because we do a lot of exploring new areas/road tripping when we're together
                    - We both get horrible network reception in our respective apartments, so when I'm in bed I can use the skype app to call him to talk a little bit, usually makes me sleep really well afterwards.
                    - It helps with keeping us entertained and connected whenever we have to wait around in airports.
                    So, here you are
                    too foreign for home
                    too foreign for here.
                    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I love having my smartphone. I have my Skype and Yahoo on most of them time. We both leave them up so that we can send each other messages for the other to read when ready. I can be on my bike, cooking in the kitchen, at the office or grocery shopping. I love getting those notifications from him on the phone.
                      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Those are important stuff! But I do understand when having it can also be stressful. I wish I had known it when I bought my 'normal' cellphone, but so far we're doing pretty good. Except when our internet connection sucks and when we can't have a 'matching' skype-computer time.

Comment

My Smart Phone is such a huge and important part of our LDR. For example, this weekend I went away to the cottage, which means no computer and not internet...no skype. Therefore we rely on whatsapp during that time. I cannot imagine going back to being without them. I would miss those little messages and picture messages.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                          Married April 18th, 2015!!
                          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

My boyfriend doesn't even have a phone, let alone a smartphone.
                            I do have a smartphone and when I'm at school longer (e.g. until 10pm like last week..) he likes to send me short messages through the facebook chat to brighten up my day, but it doesn't really affect our relationship as much. He comes home from work around the same time I do (when I don't have school until the late evenings..) and then we spend most of our time on the computer.
                            When I need to call him I just call him at work (which he loves!!!) or his mom/sister

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                            Married: 1/24/2015
                            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

We both have Blackberry cell phones and we wouldnt be without them. Blackberry messenger is awesome! So yes, having a smart phone plays a part in our LDR.
                              As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

When you're in the military (like both I and my SO are) a smartphone can be like a lifeline to the "real world".

Technology is amazing, honestly. I don't know what I'd do without my smartphone as far as my LDR goes. It's what keeps my SO and I in frequent contact. Texts, pictures, videos, skype... Sometimes I unlock my phone just so I can sneak a peek at his face!

It's devastating for both us not being able to contact each other. Smartphones fix this.

Comment

Working...
                                X