Upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect

We have moved the forum from vBulletin 4 to vBulletin 5 Connect. vBulletin 4 was end of life and could no longer be updated. It was running on outdated php and because this poses a security risk, most web hosts, including ours, have stopped supporting it. That is why the forum was not working and there were lots of error codes if you visited the site on November 4th and 5th. Moving to a new forum platform is a big move and not one that I thought we would ever have to make. We looked at several options and initially tried to use different software, but that move failed.

We ultimately decided to stick with vBulletin purchased vBulletin 5 Connect software and crossed our fingers and moved our 11-year-old database.

The new forum is missing a few of our custom vB4 modifications that we added over the years, so it will take a while to get used to (eg. we no longer have anonymous posting). One good thing about the upgrade is that the forum is more mobile-friendly!

Please don't hesitate to send me a message if you notice any issues with the new forum. I will try to quickly resolve any issues that pop up. One issue that I have come across is the "More smilies" link when writing a post does not work. This is a known issue with vB 5.6.5 and should be fixed with the next vBulletin update.

I'm currently working on the new look of the forum and will hopefully get relationship info back under avatars when reading posts.

Thanks for sticking with me!
    Read my LDR story!
    Facebook
    Instagram

I miss one feature of the old forum.

That is the "New Post" button. The "Latest Activity" is ok, but "New Post" gave only those threads that someone has responded to.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioJim View Post
      I miss one feature of the old forum.

That is the "New Post" button. The "Latest Activity" is ok, but "New Post" gave only those threads that someone has responded to.
      I just changed the setting so it will show in order of most recently updated and renamed "Latest Topics" to "Recently Updated Threads." I hope this helps!
      Read my LDR story!
      Facebook
      Instagram

Comment

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Comment

Is there any way you could make the "Recently Updated Threads" show the date of the last update, instead of the date of the original post? That way users would know if the thread was really updated since their last login.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioJim View Post
            Is there any way you could make the "Recently Updated Threads" show the date of the last update, instead of the date of the original post? That way users would know if the thread was really updated since their last login.
            It won't let me change the date for what is displayed on Recently Updated Threads, but alternatively you can use the New Posts page to see the latest updated threads and it does show the date of the last post.

Read my LDR story!
            Facebook
            Instagram

Comment

Working...
            X